Why do you you DJ?

• Ian Saunders
  • Ian Saunders's Avatar Topic Author
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
03 May 2016 19:58 #1 by Ian Saunders
Why do you you DJ? was created by Ian Saunders
I've never been a DJ, I've played records out, but have never considered myself a DJ.

Why do you do it? Especially when you're not aspiring to play out or have given up on it? Is it still fun and what keeps you motivated to do it alone in your bedrrom /spare room / garage?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2016 20:10 #2 by Richruffcut
Replied by Richruffcut on topic Why do you you DJ?
I've just always loved playing vinyl from the day my parents got me a Fisher Price record player when i was 3-4. I often thought over the years that i might get bored of it but here i am 30+ years later still playing little plastic discs. It's a strange thing when you think about it!

More
04 May 2016 07:46 #3 by electric tribe
Replied by electric tribe on topic Why do you you DJ?
Much the same as Ruffcut above.

I am totally retired now, chances of getting to a rave (even to play) are small.

Still play at home and buy records though, but just for fun. Find most of the time I just put the record on and let it play rather than anything else.

More
04 May 2016 09:25 - 04 May 2016 09:26 #4 by PJ BreakBob
Replied by PJ BreakBob on topic Why do you you DJ?
I'm doing it mostly for fun and treating is as a hobby at the moment. I used to play at some house parties and small squat parties, where oldskool wasn't appreciated and I couldn't bother playing acid-techno-house or anthems all the times so gave up playing out rather quickly. I have more free time novadays although less energy and drive to play but I spend few hours a week on the decks. What keeps me motivating is the fact that every mix it's not the same and I'm still buying records old, new and when they arrive they're going straight on the platter and I start messing with them :)
Last edit: 04 May 2016 09:26 by PJ BreakBob.

More
04 May 2016 15:21 #5 by dj jedi
Replied by dj jedi on topic Why do you you DJ?
I listened to hardcore for about 4 years before I started DJing, so it wasn't my first attraction to it, I genuinely love the music and am not the attention seeking type. I started DJing because of hip hop, I was really blown away be scratching and turntablism. But I then re-discovered the old rave music I used to listen to and that became my passion. I think it was equal amounts of nostalgia and also collecting, I have always loved collecting things and old skool vinyl was challenging to collect even in the mid 90s (in fact much harder IMO, the anthems used to go for big bucks.)

I very rarely DJ at home any more because once you've DJ's regularly in front of a crowd, playing to yourself just doesn't have the same appeal. So I guess in a way although I've loved playing out, it has ruined my love of bedroom DJing.

More
06 May 2016 12:03 #6 by Sparki
Replied by Sparki on topic Why do you you DJ?
I started out on belt drives and Technics around 2002 when I was 15, I got pretty good and did a few raves a few years later, they wern't that great though and nothing like what it was in the 90s. I did a lot of house parties and bedroom DJing. Got on a few line ups locally around Kent but then producing took over and I didnt take Djing seriously much preferring sitting at home making tunes in my bedroom studio. I got a release under my belt in 2006 and still am releasing music to this day. DJ'ing came back now and then, been doing online radio on and off since 2007 running an online station for three years was a good experience. I had gigs now and again but producing really has taken over. I sadly had to sell my decks about 6 years ago due to needing money and my Technics being the only thing worth anything they had to go :( since then I have relied on CDJ's at my friends places to have a mix or have a controller at home to mix MP3's. Recently I got fed up of the bitchiness within the DJ scene particularly in drum n bass, just a string of morons giving me arsey comments because I wasn't mixing on vinyl amongst other things I was getting dragged into so I knocked it on the head for about 6 months and only last weekend did I get on the decks again for a mix on the radio due to a confidence bash slightly but getting back into it. Will be playing out with my friends at events soon on CDJ's because I now push the emerging Hardcore Breaks and Nu Skool Jungle scene where all the tunes are digital format and not on vinyl.

I feel its a hobby and something fun to do really. I'm a nobody on the DJ scene despite being around since 2002. Im mostly known on the underground scene for my producing which I started in 2004, managed to get on Radio 1 a few times also 6 Music and BBC Introducing. Again I'm not the most famous producer out there but when people hear the name Sparki Dee its always my tunes or remixes that people know me for and I like it and prefer it.

More
06 May 2016 13:14 #7 by oldskoolranger
Replied by oldskoolranger on topic Why do you you DJ?
stil doing some radio. love playign the tunes. but have to mix up the styles each week, couldnt just play one style over and over again.

More
06 May 2016 21:21 - 06 May 2016 21:22 #8 by pineappletribe
Replied by pineappletribe on topic Why do you you DJ?
A mate lent me his decks to look after in late '92.. that was it. Loved it.

Always been interested in music - playing in bands etc as a grubby indie kid. But just borrowing them decks was a game changer. I had such passion for music in general, but especially hardcore & then all of a sudden I could mix it, muck around with it, whatever. Decks essentially became my new instrument.

I gotta be quite honest as well, I very rarely adjusted what I wanted to play to suit a crowd. I have always had a 'well if you don't like it' attitude. Never been about ego or anything like that. I still get embarrassed to show my face on our rig after a set & we've been doing parties since the early 90's (though technically we are all retired these days aside NHC) :D

I would say it has always been about the music & especially playing the music you want to hear.
Last edit: 06 May 2016 21:22 by pineappletribe.

Moderators: dj jedi
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds