djs fees and nestegg

More
18 Apr 2016 19:37 #1 by jamsco99
djs fees and nestegg was created by jamsco99
not sure what djs earned back in the day - but i am sure i read somewhere it was about £500 an hour for the likes of slipmatt, hype, sy etc.
if they were doing 3/4 sets a week - thats a couple of grand a week which is not a bad wage in the early 90s. (correct me if any of this info is wrong)

Did many of the djs save enough money so that when the scene died they did not have to have a proper job.
I know ratty and mad p have proper jobs, robbie dee has always been on the dole, slipmatt seems to get enough gigs now adays and numerous radio shows on internet stations but what about the other guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2016 19:39 #2 by Ian Saunders
Replied by Ian Saunders on topic djs fees and nestegg
I think £500 an hour was probably more mid 90s than early (apart from the big gigs). Also, it depends if they were paying their tax or not. I think most of them spunked it away on fast cars and high living.

You'd think that the likes of Slipmatt, what with record sales and constant bookings, would have a house in the South-East with the mortgage paid off though.

Didn't Robbie Dee get a bit of a drug problem on the go?

More
22 Apr 2016 09:20 - 22 Apr 2016 09:20 #3 by dj jedi
Replied by dj jedi on topic djs fees and nestegg
Yeah although I don't have any hard facts, I think Ian is right that DJ fees were much lower in the early 90s, probably more like £200 per set for an average "club" event. Saying that, in 1992 you could buy a four bedroom house in the South for 50 grand, so none of them really have any excuse for not having capitilised on those few years of fame. Some did, but most didn't have the foresight.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 09:20 by dj jedi.

Moderators: dj jedi
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds