Topic-icon Covers, Remakes and Remixes?

• Coolbreeze
  • Coolbreeze's Avatar Topic Author
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
13 Sep 2017 11:58 #1 by Coolbreeze
Coolbreeze created the topic: Covers, Remakes and Remixes?
Hi all, you've probably heard many covers, remakes and remixes of tunes of the past, yes they are beefed up versions of tunes of the past, you've heard many in charts of suppose. What about doing the reverse getting recent new pop songs and making them sound oldskool rave or dance, I ain't heard an OLdskool hardcore version of Taylor swift cover? Or a 50s Rock n roll version of the prodigy out of space? Or is there and I'm not looking hard enough? Think you could do a lot of interesting things with covers and doing them in different genres. Or recent songs are not normally covered because of copyright issues? Some of today's tunes seem a bit week and need beefing up with oldskool vibes I reckon! Also you can get midi files off internet of songs and add your own instruments using your fave music DAW. Not is easy as you think but you could come up with fresh new version of a classic tune?

This is a hard rock version of Omen?

What you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2017 12:50 #2 by DJ Chance
DJ Chance replied the topic: Covers, Remakes and Remixes?
Strangely I have often thought about doing this but never got round to it.

If you think to BITD, lots of 'pop' tunes that were current were sampled (rather than remade)

I will get round to doing it one year!

More
13 Sep 2017 17:36 #3 by Ian Saunders
Ian Saunders replied the topic: Covers, Remakes and Remixes?
What about all those dodgy Ratpack versions of Kings Of Leon?

I'm a bit more surprised that there aren't more tunes that sample more underground house or techno tunes though.

It's always been the thing that's put me off a lot of the hardcore breaks stuff - a lot of it seems to have exactly the same samples as all the old stuff. There's so much old and new hip-hop, rare groove, reggae etc that can be sampled and brought into productions, but I guess now people have grown up with hardcore and that's all they know.

*Not all new producers obv*

More
14 Sep 2017 07:08 #4 by dj jedi
dj jedi replied the topic: Covers, Remakes and Remixes?
I try to mix up new samples with old. One of my recent release samples a Nintendo game from a couple of years ago. As you guys say loads of old tunes were sampled from pop tunes, video games, TV etc of the time, so there's no reason not to do the same with modern music.

More
14 Sep 2017 19:11 #5 by Heikki Harmaa
Heikki Harmaa replied the topic: Covers, Remakes and Remixes?
Old samples and new samples, whatever fits your tune. It depends on what you want, not the era it's from.

The reason I sometimes prefer oldskool era samples to new ones is simple: to get what I want. Old hip hop and house acapellas, for example, often feature the kind of singing and lines that I want for a certain track.

If there's a current hit you want to remix or fresh samples of a brand new underground tune ready to use I say go for it. By all means necessary.

More
16 Sep 2017 22:13 #6 by audiohazard
audiohazard replied the topic: Covers, Remakes and Remixes?
Why not just make new tunes??? It's a. It like a ll the re boots of old Films... That said.... We have just done a couple of upto date jungle/drum and bass remixes of renegade snares and championsound... But they Are just for us to play on the radio....

Moderators: dj jedi
Time to create page: 0.625 seconds