School me on the revival in '97

10 Jun 2017 13:48 #1 by Restless1
School me on the revival in '97 was created by Restless1
How popular was Rave again?

Was there many compilations put out?

What made it popular again? And how popular was it on a national scale?

How authentic did the experience feel compared to the first time around? Many old faces still out or not?

Best & biggest nights back then were?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jun 2017 13:09 - 12 Jun 2017 13:12 #2 by dj jedi
Replied by dj jedi on topic School me on the revival in '97
For me there were three things in 97 that got me interested in 'old skool' again - firstly, this website :) then this CD:

www.discogs.com/Various-Moondance-The-Album/master/266391

And this tape pack (obviously there was an event too but I hadn't heard about it)

www.discogs.com/Various-Helter-Skelter-T...Pack/release/8265370

I'm pretty sure the above tape pack was the first time Ratpack had played a big set in the UK for years as they spend the whole set saying how nice it is to be back. It's a good set too, play some nice obscure stuff (for the time) like TTTM Part 3.

It was really the B2VOS website and these two tapes/CDs that got me personally back in to it. Think the first event I went to with an old skool arena was Energy 98.

12 Jun 2017 13:26 - 12 Jun 2017 13:28 #3 by Traffic Cone
Replied by Traffic Cone on topic School me on the revival in '97
97 was when i was first actually getting into hardcore, and started to buy CD albums, and i got this:
www.discogs.com/Various-United-Dance-Pre...s-92-97/master/48600

which has basically all the anthems you'd expect...I remember being initially confused by the breakbeat stuff :D i think that was the first time i'd ever heard it (being in Scotland).

I also had a tape from a copy of M8, which was a promo for this album:
www.discogs.com/Various-The-Retro-Mixes-Volume-1/release/260748 - i think then they were describing it as "hardcore house"? But this was back when I didn't really know much about hardcore full stop.

I also remember hearing a bit on the radio, because of the oldskool revival. Although - this was in Scotland, so not only is the oldskool a bit different (more Italo house and the like) but also, 1997 is when hardcore had started to really die off up there - with the biggest rave company going bust and most of the big clubs closing or switching to house / trance. So I guess the oldskool revival was maybe related to that!

12 Jun 2017 15:12 #4 by jamsco99
Replied by jamsco99 on topic School me on the revival in '97
remember that old skool rooms starting appearing in events.

think energy 97 was the first one

12 Jun 2017 18:35 #5 by Richruffcut
Replied by Richruffcut on topic School me on the revival in '97
Think you are right jamsco99 I cant remember any parties before that event that had an oldskool room

12 Jun 2017 18:40 - 12 Jun 2017 18:48 #6 by Richruffcut
Replied by Richruffcut on topic School me on the revival in '97
(Traffic cone) "97 was when i was first actually getting into hardcore,"

Funny becuase 96-97 was when I became disillusioned with hardcore and just did not like the direction

Also funny that you were in Scotland and I was on the south coast. Yet the styles of hardcore (enjoyed) were very different from one end to the other

I remember the breakbeat thing was not popular up there, i remember reading about that back in the day

13 Jun 2017 09:27 #7 by Traffic Cone
Replied by Traffic Cone on topic School me on the revival in '97
well i was partly first getting into it then because i was 12/13 around that time :D i think i'd have got into it earlier had i been older!

but yeah, it's funny just how different the rave scene was in a lot of different parts of the UK!

in Scotland, it was mostly Dutch & Scottish hardcore, with some cheesier piano stuff...and a bit of English stuff. breakbeat was always quite a niche thing I think...And by 95/96 Scottish / Dutch / English hardcore were all getting closer to each other...

but then by 97, things had changed. the Dutch had a backlash against cheese and their hardcore got pretty heavy again, and the English stuff got more fluffy...and so hardcore kinda died off in Scotland! just around the time i was learning about it :dry:

13 Jun 2017 13:52 #8 by The_Ruffneck
Replied by The_Ruffneck on topic School me on the revival in '97
1997 is when the ratpack figured they could make a few more quid squeezing every last drop from the 20 anthems they caned every set.

14 Jun 2017 12:01 #9 by dan
Replied by dan on topic School me on the revival in '97
hey!

96 was the year i started with the local clubs and the classics nights, and 97 was the main year i hammered the likes of dreamscape, helter skelter etc. I think i went to most that year. Highlights for me were dreamscape 25 and probably energy 97. Im sure many have talked about energy 97 on here. The old skool tent was a good size, but the sound was quite low for the first few hours....cant believe it was 20 years ago!

I personally enjoyed the local club nights from this era more than the big events. I don't know if it was because i was so young (17), but i thought helter skelter and dreamscape were pretty much full of idiots looking to cause trouble (maybe we were easy targets being so young and not really in to the happy hardcore. really just going for the old skool). I also found the sets quite lazy by the end of the year. It was novelty for me to hear tunes that wernt being played I'm my local clubs, but after hearing top buzz play the same set all year i got a little bored!!

That said, busy events! Lots of compilation CDs out this year too. I remember SY playing a main room old skool set at dreamscape 25 which was pretty much the old skool CD from that compilation. I got a sense that this was something current, but weirdly i was only ever really enthusiastic about slightly older music so i had the same outlook on it as i do now.

So yep! Sorry for rambling. Enjoyable but idiots galore for me haha. I didn't get the sense of passion for old music that you see on here.

14 Jun 2017 12:04 #10 by dan
I agree. First time i saw them was dreamscape 25 in the back room at the sanctuary. I then watched them spend the rest of the year play the same set. I have to say though that the first time i saw that set, i loved it :)

Its like bands for me.. once I've seen it 2 or 3 times i get bored!

14 Jun 2017 15:34 #11 by dj jedi
Replied by dj jedi on topic School me on the revival in '97
Yeah it's true, people say DJs anthem bash now, but it was a lot worse in 97! Literally the same few tunes in every set:

Edge 1
Bombscare
Sweet Harmony
Hurt You So
The Slammer
Raving I'm Raving
Dominator

I know a lot of these still get played, but christ back then it was every DJ all night.

14 Jun 2017 18:50 #12 by dan
So true!

I just remembered I went to a hardcore heaven in 97 with the sanctuary being all old skool. Great lineup and at played a good set, but if I remember right, mickey Finn and grooverider didn't show leaving top buzz (Jason Kay) to play a second very long set.

14 Jun 2017 18:52 #13 by dan
Dj at played a great set sorry. Bloody phone.

Also went to some quite good old skool party's at bowlers in Manchester this year. One in particular excellent with seduction, ratty etc :) less anthems on that night!

Moderators: dj jedi
Time to create page: 0.491 seconds