How immersed in the scene was your city/county?

22 May 2017 08:34 #1 by Restless1
Did you have any legendary/nationally recognised brands/nights in your city/county?

How about DJ's & MC's? Any big named DJ's & MC's from your way who were big on the scene? Again, who were they?

What about record shops & ticket outlets? Venues?

And are any of these people and places still going strong?

Birmingham was a mecca, and IMHO, the midlands was so overlooked when it came to longevity. I mean, the sheer volume of big brands we had over our way was flat-out ridiculous! Not to mention everything else.

Birmingham...

We never had much in the way of DJ's, but the midlands had tons of talent.

Ratty
GE Real
SS
Jim"Shaft" Ryan (although he played literally EVERY chill-out/room 2 at every rave going, he was still very instrumental in the scene)
Fallout
Pilgrim
Daz Willott
Nebula 2
Donovan "Bad Boy" Smith
Mongoose
Luke/Neil Trix
Ned Ryder
Mistress Mo
Glenn Aston

Mc's: Lenni, Bassman, Magika

Venues (this is where the midlands really excelled, imho):

The Eclipse/The Edge (voted the best venue in the country)
The Hummingbird (absolutely legendary)
The Q Club (say no more!)
The Institute (see above)
The Aston Villa Leisure Centre (such an underused place!)
Shelley's

Brands (again, a silly list):

Quest
Starlight
Pandemonium
Amnesia House
Fibre Optic
Club Kinetic
Flashback
Bang-In-Tunes

Formation Records was a Midlands-based label. SS, out of Leicester, ran it.

The Depot was THE best ticket outlet in the UK. An untouchable shop for tape-packs and flyers as well.

We're still not on London's level (if you go from '87-'00, possibly '03, that city was untouchable for that whole timeline, although the Midlands, I have on VERY good authority, was still fucking AWESOME).

So there you have it, the Midlands, a place that was VERY immersed in the scene.

Your turn...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 May 2017 08:37 #2 by Restless1
Replied by Restless1 on topic How immersed in the scene was your city/county?
Oh, and the ones still going strong are...

All of the MC's
SS & Formation are still around
Pandemonium do the odd reunion here and there (same for Flashback)
Glenn Aston is still around
The Institute is now the HMV Forum
Jim Ryan is still around
Depot is shut down

There isn't much of a "Rave scene" (I'm talking oldskool, d&b, hardcore etc) around here nowadays. Shame...

23 May 2017 09:13 - 23 May 2017 09:15 #3 by dj jedi
Good question! I was quite lucky being down South. In my hometown of Bournemouth there was a very healthy scene. Obviously there was Fantazia Summertime in 1992, but it had a wealth of small local brands and clubs including Madisons, Remix, Wild Turkey, and also Dreamscape had their head office in Bournemouth town centre til about 1999. There weren't any A-list DJs, producers or MCs, but lots of well known local ones like Aquasky, Dream, Dance, MC Shadow, Martyn The Hat, X-cess. The main local record labels were Stormtrooper, Burning Bush and Underdog which were all run by the same guy.

Then just down the road was Southampton which was like my second home as I had lots of mates there. Pretty much all the big happy hardcore DJs were from the area - Hixxy, Ramos & Supreme, Sunset Regime, UFO, Stu J, Brisk, MC Marley etc.

23 May 2017 15:46 #4 by Restless1
Replied by Restless1 on topic How immersed in the scene was your city/county?
It's crazy how many legit world class/very very talented DJ's are from Southampton.

24 May 2017 14:25 #5 by jamsco99
Rural Suffolk. We had a nightclub in our town (13000 people) and had prodigy, Carl Cox, Lennie D plus others play.
Had Oscars at Clacton 25 miles up road and mindwarp events in Colchester.

Dreamscapr did an event in near by bury st Edmunds.

Dj wise, loads from Colchester like force and ray Keith. From our town we had a guy called Ben Howard. Played a lot in east anglia

25 May 2017 10:20 #6 by dj_gyr8
Hi,

Yes, South coast, mainly Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth... Lots of top producers and DJ's. Pretty much all the good Happy Hardcore came from this region...

Moderators: dj jedi
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds