Topic-icon An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

More
05 Jul 2011 14:05 #61 by STG
Replied by STG on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
Fascinating thread!

And speaking about other records that are hard to come by, I was wondering how come your Fast Floor LP - On A Quest For Intelligence had such a low print run. Seemed like this never got past the promo (test press?) phase, as even the individual records were white labels. Any story behind this release?

Thanks! :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2011 15:22 #62 by phil
Replied by phil on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

STG wrote: Fascinating thread!

And speaking about other records that are hard to come by, I was wondering how come your Fast Floor LP - On A Quest For Intelligence had such a low print run. Seemed like this never got past the promo (test press?) phase, as even the individual records were white labels. Any story behind this release?

Thanks! :D

Good question - also do you still have the dats

Cloud nine is what were aiming for - you know the score

My Ebay sales:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=" search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ50QQsassZdjphil3 "> search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQf ... ssZdjphil3</a><!-- m -->
My Discogs Sales:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink"...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2011 16:19 #63 by RonWellsJS
Replied by RonWellsJS on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

phil wrote:

STG wrote: Fascinating thread!

And speaking about other records that are hard to come by, I was wondering how come your Fast Floor LP - On A Quest For Intelligence had such a low print run. Seemed like this never got past the promo (test press?) phase, as even the individual records were white labels. Any story behind this release?

Thanks! :D

Good question - also do you still have the dats


Yes, I've got the DATs for a whole heap of tunes.

The album was way too ahead of it's time to be honest and at that time my attention was beginning to be focused elsewhere.

Signing to MCA in 1996 was a big mistake in hindsight (although they paid handsomely). They didn't know what to do with us (Fast Floor / Earl Grey). We pulled away from the underground scene at the time as we thought with such massive backing we would break new markets - our music was always meant to be listenable outside of clubs. The fact is that MCA proved to be useless.

That experience taught me a lot, nameley that being rich does not automatically mean being clever.

But... that experience, coupled with some of the other knob heads in the music industry, sent me on my way in business and I haven't looked back in that respect to be fair.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2011 17:28 #64 by Ian Saunders
Replied by Ian Saunders on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
So since you've been on hiatus from making music, what music have you been listening to and gaining inspiration from?

Do you stay in contact with any of the people from the Basement era? Wax Doctor, Phil Wells, Alex Reece etc?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 11:09 #65 by dj jedi
Replied by dj jedi on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
I've thought of a question if you don't mind - do you remember the proper names of the three tracks on the 20 Hurts EP? As you probably know, the label has the wrong track names (it has the ones from Hedgehog Affair 4 on it.) It would be cool to know what they're actually called!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 14:04 #66 by hektikal
Replied by hektikal on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
made a interesting read this in the shop on a rainy day in devon !! i have always wanted a copy of 20 hurts but never found one cheap enough ! its one of my favorite tunes !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 14:35 #67 by what evil lurks
Replied by what evil lurks on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

dj jedi wrote: I've thought of a question if you don't mind - do you remember the proper names of the three tracks on the 20 Hurts EP? As you probably know, the label has the wrong track names (it has the ones from Hedgehog Affair 4 on it.) It would be cool to know what they're actually called!


I agree mate, it's cool to know the actual titles of white label tunes. It helps me remember the tune much better if I had a name to think of than just "Mix a1" or "be side".

I sent Nexus & Blowback an e-mail about the track names of both Boomin' Tunes Volumes 1 and 2 but I never got a reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 14:45 #68 by dj jedi
Replied by dj jedi on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

what evil lurks wrote: I sent Nexus & Blowback an e-mail about the track names of both Boomin' Tunes Volumes 1 and 2 but I never got a reply.


Isn't Boomin' Tunes vol. 1 just three of the tracks from the Cats Whiskas EP?

http://www.discogs.com/Nexus-Blowback-T ... ster/10901

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 14:47 #69 by pineappletribe
Replied by pineappletribe on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
Blimey - i stay away from most '93 hardcore tbh.. i never quite got my head around the 'here come the drums' style drum loops that kicked in around that era....

.. i still find the odd gem though -&gt; despite keeping my mix downloads etc to 91-92 stuff primarily.

So - have just listened to 'Plight of the Innovators' for THE FIRST TIME EVER!!

Epic. It has all the qualities that i like in the 'V10 Overload' track already mentioned. I also like the Cartridge remix (on the Basement re-issue). Top top tune... not a bad reaction to a tune made 18+ years ago -&gt; just found one on discogs!

I love hardcore :D

PS. Ron - are u anything to do with (production-wise) the Malice/Enzyme stuff on Nu Basement? I love their stuff on the label... I wasn't too keen on the other recent releases... But got recommended a couple of the new eps (cheers Phil :D ) &amp; think they are awesome up-to-date versions of the old Basement style...

Wow <!-- s:) --><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif" alt=":)" title="Smile" /><!-- s:) -->

PS. I am slightly embarassed by the butt-kissing ere.. but you're up their with the like of Rob Playford / Caspar Pound / Ellis Dee / etc for the quality of your hardcore releases ;)

PPS. Get in that studio!

PPPS. Did you do any work with DJ Mayhem -&gt; love his early releases on Basement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 15:06 #70 by what evil lurks
Replied by what evil lurks on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
They are different mixes, I have to check at home, but I think 2 tunes were just alternate versions and the other one was not on Cat Whiskas.

Anyway, I even love knowing "mix names" of the tunes I like and I also wanted yo know which ep came out first <!-- s:) --><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif" alt=":)" title="Smile" /><!-- s:) -->

dj jedi wrote:

what evil lurks wrote: I sent Nexus & Blowback an e-mail about the track names of both Boomin' Tunes Volumes 1 and 2 but I never got a reply.


Isn't Boomin' Tunes vol. 1 just three of the tracks from the Cats Whiskas EP?

http://www.discogs.com/Nexus-Blowback-T ... ster/10901

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • alphawave ep AKA DJ Mark C
  • alphawave ep AKA DJ Mark C's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Regular
  • Regular
More
06 Jul 2011 17:11 #71 by alphawave ep AKA DJ Mark C
Replied by alphawave ep AKA DJ Mark C on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
blimey this thead is on fire!!! so it sould be with jack smooth in the place!! lovin it...some great questions to <!-- s:) --><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif" alt=":)" title="Smile" /><!-- s:) -->

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2011 15:11 #72 by RonWellsJS
Replied by RonWellsJS on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

pineappletribe wrote: Ron - are u anything to do with (production-wise) the Malice/Enzyme stuff on Nu Basement?

Did you do any work with DJ Mayhem -> love his early releases on Basement.


I don't remember either Malice or Enzyme so probably not (worked with too many people, I forget)

Now, in terms of Mayhem, he was one of the cleverer artists on Basement. I worked extensivley on those classic early releases with him (once again Roland JX8-P played a big part) - good tunes and he's a great guy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2011 15:27 #73 by phil
Replied by phil on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
so the big question is.............

What do you have on your dats from 1991-1993 that was never released?

(hope you dont mind me asking)

Cloud nine is what were aiming for - you know the score

My Ebay sales:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=" search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ50QQsassZdjphil3 "> search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQf ... ssZdjphil3</a><!-- m -->
My Discogs Sales:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink"...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2011 15:38 #74 by Traffic Cone
Replied by Traffic Cone on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
That Eternity set is excellent! Nice mix of styles. I particularly like the fast techno track near the end.

I also like the fact that whoever ripped it obviously wasn't fussed that the final track on his CD skips all over the place :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2011 15:45 #75 by oz
Replied by oz on topic An answer i had from Jack Smooth..
I can send you a copy of the cd if you like?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: dj jedi
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds