Accepting the wrong job

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
jimee
He never locked his car door

Accepting the wrong job

Post by jimee » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:38 am

I started a new job last monday, so been here a week now, from the first day it didnt feel right, and now I feel like I have accepted the wrong job.

I basically took it as the money was good, not putting much more thought into it than that.

Its supporting the software they produce, but it is very very quiet, and I hardly have anything to do, in my old job I was quite used to being busy most of the day, but here I find im just watching the clock all day, the job is also really really simple so feel like im wasting my skills...

Will it affect my career etc if I start looking for a new job? Im worried that if I get an interview they will say why have you only stayed at this place for such a short time? Has anyone else done similar?

Its horrible sitting at a job you dont like, where you watch the clock, even worse when youve only been there a week!!!

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Re: Accepting the wrong job

Post by renegadegenius » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:43 am

I don't know many people that actually 'Enjoy' their job - they go there to earn money to pay the bills & have a bit left over to enjoy.
It's not very busy where I am either, but that just means I can do my own thing during the 'non-work' bits - such as coming on here & browsing round other sites.
Do know what u mean about clock watching though - does get a bit like that here sometimes. I sometimes just put a headphone in one ear to listen to stuff I've downloaded from here :)

Better than being too busy & stressed I suppose.

drift
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by drift » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:55 am

I don't think it'll look bad on your CV at all Jimee. Infact I think it'd look good that you've not been prepared to stick with a job that you don't find challenging.

JACK-0
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by JACK-0 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:15 pm

Jimee wrote:I started a new job last monday, so been here a week now, from the first day it didnt feel right, and now I feel like I have accepted the wrong job.

I basically took it as the money was good, not putting much more thought into it than that.

Its supporting the software they produce, but it is very very quiet, and I hardly have anything to do, in my old job I was quite used to being busy most of the day, but here I find im just watching the clock all day, the job is also really really simple so feel like im wasting my skills...

Will it affect my career etc if I start looking for a new job? Im worried that if I get an interview they will say why have you only stayed at this place for such a short time? Has anyone else done similar?

Its horrible sitting at a job you dont like, where you watch the clock, even worse when youve only been there a week!!!
Everyone is allowed to make mistakes Jim, i get it all the time here and the best thing you can do is be honest with your interviewer! Just let them know that you were expecting a challenging skill enhancing role with your new company and that just hasn't been the case at all!

Better to do it now tbh rather than 4 months time, this way you can just scrap it off your CV with no big hole

It's unfortunate but it happens, good luck with the new search

fmrl
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by fmrl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:25 pm

Maybe if you stick with it for a few weeks things might change? Have you tried being pro-active and getting involved in stuff that isn't necessarily part of your job?

rob s.
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rob s. » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Most employers know the score - they don't expect a job-for-life mentality.

If you'd had 4-5 jobs in the last 3 months then that's a concern, but employers know they exaggerate job specs to make them sound more exciting. As long as you're honest it can actually work in your favour - ie. here's someone who's willing to work hard and keep busy.

Dj Bex
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Dj Bex » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:04 pm

Same thing happened to me mate, took a job, hated it, lasted 3 months then quit....

Got a new job within 2 weeks, and during the interview I just told them the truth.

jimee

Post by jimee » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:13 pm

Did you find a new job before you handed your notice in?

Ive tried being proactive, but im not actually that interested in what im doing, its massively different from what I was lead to believe in the interview, they didnt mention that there is not much to do! lol

Just feel gutted ive left a comfortable job, where I had loads of friends, for a job that pays more but thats the only good thing about it!

Guess its time to sign up with totaljobs etc again...

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:31 pm

If I were you I'd stick with this job and sign up for an Open University course to do when you're slack.

Or alternately just develop a serious forum habit and start playing browser based RPGs... :-^

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:37 pm

As said, if it's just 1 short term employment, then they're a lot more likely to believe you when you say it was due to it not being challenging. Also, you can give a good account of why you quit in your interview, should it come up.

I also know the feeling - my job at the moment isnt really challenging, doesnt relate to the degree i have and i only took it cos i needed a job as soon as i moved to London, and as a first job. At least now i'm busy but having nothing to do isn't as fun as it sounds in the short term. It is true very few ppl love their jobs, but having a job that's at least relatively diverting and engaging is not an unrealistic goal. You might not look forward to work but it's better to avoid dreading it!

lemsip
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by lemsip » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:34 pm

I had the same thing this year. I gave it six months, it still sucked, so I left.

I spoke to a few people and they all said the same thing, that one such move is OK, especially if you were at the previous place for several years. If you do it multiple times, then you will have a problem getting interviews.

henryburner
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by henryburner » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:00 pm

Check out the papers for other jobs while you are resting :) I like my job now but the first month was really bad. Give it some time and search for a new one.

Dj Bex
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Dj Bex » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:41 am

Jimee wrote:Did you find a new job before you handed your notice in?

Ive tried being proactive, but im not actually that interested in what im doing, its massively different from what I was lead to believe in the interview, they didnt mention that there is not much to do! lol

Just feel gutted ive left a comfortable job, where I had loads of friends, for a job that pays more but thats the only good thing about it!

Guess its time to sign up with totaljobs etc again...

No, just quit there & then, didnt work my notice or anything.

Looking for work was easy as you can then sign up to be a temp, and any jobs offers that come up, you can tell them that you can start asap, rather than them having to wait a month for someone to work their notice...

jimee

Post by jimee » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:55 am

I havent got the guts to hand my notice in before finding something new, I worry about paying the mortgage etc...

Ive signed up to totaljobs, cwjobs, monster etc again, so ill see what come along!

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:21 am

I don't think i've ever actually handed my notice in since my first job. Every other one i've just got sick of it an walked out. Possibly not the best thing for a cv/career minded person but I don't think anyone who knows me would mistake me for someone like that. Don't know why people are scared to leave jobs they hate. The fealing of walking out is just an indescribable joy, particularly if you've got a bit of an asshole for a boss an can tell him exactly where to stick it on the way out. Every time i've quit I think I walked around with a big smile on my face for at least a week or 2. :D