Home brewing?

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Home brewing?

Post by Double Drop » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:53 pm

I'm talking about beer, not software etc before you smart-arses get started.

Anyone had any experience of home brewing? I've got a garage with electricity that's too full of crap to get the car in, so I thought I might put it to good use and brew some DDbrew...

Plenty of second hand kit and guides on eBay and we've got a home brew shop in town thinking about it.

hempton
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Home brewing?

Post by hempton » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:01 pm

Markymark
He never locked his car door

Post by Markymark » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:46 pm

yeah, used to do this with these twin friends i had when i was around 14! we used to make some cracking ale :lol: even stout, mmmmm. are parents never knew a thing. i wouldnt touch the stuff with a barge pole these days though, its the smell that does it, something about that smell of home brew.

lemsip
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by lemsip » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:49 pm

I came the realisation some time ago that I am no longer poor enough to drink my own homebrew.

if done properly it can be good, but the cheapo can of wort stuff is nasty.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:07 pm

Just joined a home brewing forum (12000 posts here I come :lol:) and discovered that Turbo Cider sounds much more fun and far easier than brewing beer.

You can make it in pretty much anything including a 5 litre supermarket mineral water bottle!

Markymark

Post by Markymark » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Double Drop wrote:Just joined a home brewing forum (12000 posts here I come :lol:) and discovered that Turbo Cider sounds much more fun and far easier than brewing beer.

You can make it in pretty much anything including a 5 litre supermarket mineral water bottle!
been there mate, cant remember exactly what it was now it was years ago (about 91) our/my excuse was age, but we brewed something in a bottle just like that, only to walk into the room where it was one day to see it covered all over the ceiling and parts of the walls because the pressure had caused it to explode in the night. made a fair mess of the place.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:45 pm

markymark wrote:
Double Drop wrote:Just joined a home brewing forum (12000 posts here I come :lol:) and discovered that Turbo Cider sounds much more fun and far easier than brewing beer.

been there mate, cant remember exactly what it was now it was years ago (about 91) our/my excuse was age, but we brewed something in a bottle just like that, only to walk into the room where it was one day to see it covered all over the ceiling and parts of the walls because the pressure had caused it to explode in the night. made a fair mess of the place.
Reminds me of the story of a friend of a friend who used a five pence piece instead of a burst disc in a CO2 paintball bottle when the disc burst and he didn't have a spare. That bottle took out a radiator and a large chunk of wall! :lol: :shock:

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:46 pm

Went out this afternoon and bought some kit: two demijohns, bungs, bubbler airlocks, bottle brush, hydrometer, siphon, sample pot, campden tablets, VWP, turkey baster etc.

Also: five litres of apple juice, four lemons, 500ml of lemon juice, a kilo of Tate & Lyle,two lots of yeast,

And here's my first batch of Turbo Cider bubbling away happily:

:D

mcdjsteff
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by mcdjsteff » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:32 pm

lmao double m8!reminds me of when i was a kid my dad had loads of those going in his garage on heat matts.he made wine and lager..it all tasted fucking orrible but 2 glasses and you were fucked.what ya gonna name the brew?

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:04 pm

Here's my Atomic Lemon:

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:18 am

samuel
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by samuel » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:32 pm

That's some clean garage you got :badgrin:

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:42 pm

Just taken a reading from the Turbo Cider, the gravity's dropped from 1058 to 997 which by my calculations means it's 8.08% alcohol! :shock: And bladdy moreish to boot.

If it reads the same tomorrow I'm going to bottle it and buy some more apple juice. :lol:

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:26 pm

Six pints of turbo Cider bottled and in the cupboard now, primed the bottles with 30ml of apple juice so it should be carbonated by the time I come to drink it.

Final reading I took made it 8.08%, so that's basically 8.1% by the time it's bottle conditioned. Tried a pint while I was bottling and got quite squiffy. :lol:

Second batch in now on. :D

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:16 pm

Just popped my first bottle of it. The priming juice worked a treat and it was already a little carbonated despite the fact I'm drinking it already, which is a couple of weeks early.

Tastes like proper scrumpy, quite dry and with minimal carbonation. Very strong, I can feel my cheeks being a bit numb. :lol: