FAO Bentley or any other car buffs

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
-=Marky G=-
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

FAO Bentley or any other car buffs

Post by -=Marky G=- » Wed May 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Anyone know much about porsche boxters as im looking for one for myself, ive bid on one today on ebay that i quite like the look of, but does anyone know what i should be looking out for on one of these as they are something i know little about as i dont normaly buy/sell cars of this stature.

cheers ;)

J3D
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by J3D » Wed May 09, 2007 10:26 pm

if you wanna look female 70 ' odd and retired buy one
my gran has lol :lol: :lol:

this should be a good anoth reason to put you off buyin one haha

'911 now thats the boys toy' :D

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Wed May 09, 2007 10:31 pm

My mate's wife has one and he brings it to work all the time as his E-Type plays up a lot. I'll ask him about it when I finally go back to work on Tuesday if you've not sorted it by then.

will2003
He never locked his car door

Post by will2003 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:28 pm

I know I'm biased, but I've driven one and really didn't like it - great in summer
but this is England and we only get about 4 weeks a year of proper cabrio
weather - kind of why I sold my Mk 1 Golf GTI cabrio as those 4 weeks of
pleasure just didn't really seem worth it for the remaining 48 weeks of
worrying about parking a soft top out at night, the roof getting slashed, it
being freezing in winter with just a bit of canvas between you and the
cold wind...

For the same money you'd pay for a good Boxster, you could get an S3, have
it remapped to well beyond the performance of a Boxster, and buy a Golf
Cabrio or an old skool 3 series BMW cabrio with the change - presto, a second car
for summer. which will hold its value well too as it's not the only car you had.

But don't listen to me, I'm a shameless Golf / S3 fanboy anyway :| :lol:

Lea
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Lea » Thu May 10, 2007 7:41 am

I don't really like them either to be honest.. but if that's the car you want then go for it.. I reckon there normally over priced for what they are and you can get far nicer cars for that kind of cash...

JACK-0
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by JACK-0 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:18 am

not the best performing 2 seater - If you do buy one it's gotta be the Boxter S - at the very least!!

As said an S3 topped with abit of remapping is worth considering, still probably a little bit more expensive as boxters can be picked up for 10k and under these days.

But a porsche is a porsche and if thats the badge you want on budget the boxter is the way forward

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu May 10, 2007 9:43 am

Have you considered a Lotus Exige? Or a Merc SLK?

BTW - this buying cars off E-Bay lark. How 'safe' is it? Is it any different to buying private elsewhere? Or do proper trade sellers sell on there?
Last edited by Beagle on Thu May 10, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

fmrl
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by fmrl » Thu May 10, 2007 9:52 am

I know someone who has a Boxster. An X5 ran into the back of him a couple of months ago. Cost a fortune to have it repaired even though you could hardly notice any sign of damage on the bumper itself. If you're seriously thinking of buying one then get it thoroughly checked over for any sign of hidden accident damage or bodged repairs.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu May 10, 2007 10:50 am

last year i was torn between 3 cars - boxster, bmw z3, and merc slk. the problem with the porsche is it holds its value very well. they only cost about 30k new yet you'll pay 15k for one over 10 years old. so you're better off buying one new/nearly new, or not at all. good for sellers, bad for buyers.

also remember porshe servicing is very expensive, and to be honest the standard 2.5 isn't that fast, a lot of "hot hatches" will beat it.

in the end i went for the bmw Z3 as the slk was too girly, and in my opinion the Z3 was a lot of car for the money, where as the porsche is not (one the same age costs roughly twice as much yet is no faster or better.)

but i sold the Z3 after just a few months, having a 2 seater car got annoying very quickly, and they feel really small, not good on motorways.

if you're set on a convertible why not think about a bigger one - BMW 3 series, Audio A4 etc.

will2003

Post by will2003 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:37 am

I agree with Jedi, 2 seaters are massively impractical and probably quite
annoying when the initial fun wears off.

I'm seriously tempted by a 1st gen Golf R32 now.

RQ - buy my S3, that'll solve your problems ;)

264bhp of pure fun and nearly the same room inside as Golf - a proper 4 seater, by any rate.

£14k, and I'll leave some good CDs in the changer :lol:

cantonamagic
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by cantonamagic » Thu May 10, 2007 12:43 pm

will2003 wrote:I agree with Jedi, 2 seaters are massively impractical and probably quite
annoying when the initial fun wears off.

I'm seriously tempted by a 1st gen Golf R32 now.

RQ - buy my S3, that'll solve your problems ;)

264bhp of pure fun and nearly the same room inside as Golf - a proper 4 seater, by any rate.

£14k, and I'll leave some good CDs in the changer :lol:
2 seaters are the nuts!! You NEVER get lumbered being the one whoe drives ur mates around, 'would love to drive this week lads, but I've only got 1 spare seat' :badgrin:

I've got an imported mazda roadster and its one of the most fun cars I have had.
I'd go for a VX220 over anything mentioned here. Built by the same people as the lotus, better looking than the lotus and cheaper than the lotus. Get the turbo and its even faster than the Lotus! You can also get the imported Opel version so most people struggle to know its a Vauxhall ;)

If not, buy an S3 and then a mazda for messing around in when the sun shines. Rear wheel drive and lots of the imports have an LSD fitted as standard. Lots of fun on a greasy road =D>

fmrl
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by fmrl » Thu May 10, 2007 12:48 pm

cantonamagic wrote:If not, buy an S3 and then a mazda for messing around in when the sun shines. Rear wheel drive and lots of the imports have an LSD fitted as standard. Lots of fun on a greasy road =D>
or may I suggest an MR2 mk2 - I used to have one of these and loved it.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu May 10, 2007 12:50 pm

yeah, good point about the VX220 - a proper sports car and very uncommon. There's something about the Exige though...looks a beast!

Actually, if it's a proper sports car you want, you might as well get a Caterham R400.

I'd love a 2-seater car - I'd need to have a 4-door as a 'main car' also though...

fmrl
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by fmrl » Thu May 10, 2007 1:00 pm

Only problem with the Lotus Elise/VX220 is that you look a proper divvy trying to get out of one.

Shergy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Shergy » Thu May 10, 2007 2:02 pm

Me and my mates nickname them "The Poor Mans Porsche" for someone who really wants a 911 but can't afford one, I'd rather buy an Audi S3 or S4 for that sort of cash.... 8)