Done it. 1 month and counting. EDIT - 3 days to go... :O

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
DJ ID
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Done it. 1 month and counting. EDIT - 3 days to go... :O

Post by DJ ID » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:23 am

Well... i've finally plucked up the guts to do it.

I've given notice on my Broadband service. I'm cutting it off at home for a year. 19th of May is the cut off date.

Why? - cos it's invaded my life beyond beleif. Check the time of this post for instance. That's about average. I spend virtually all my free time on the net. Rather than doing stuff i should be doing.

So, i'm gonna give myself a year to sort my life out, and then come back and hopefully fit it around everything else rather than the other way around.

I''ll still have the forum and msn in a limited capacity at work (thankfully) so can still stay in the loop, but what im gonna really miss most is playing on and listening to the live shows on internet radio (can still get the playlist but it aint the same) and chatting in the chat. I've got a lot of good friends in there so it's gonna be a difficult one that.

Anyway, if you want to cover any of the show's I've been doing (Breakpirates / History of Hardcore on Monday's 10pm - 12midnight) and Stressfactor Thursdays at 10pm - 11pm) speak to Drift, Flipside or Insane, Champion Puffa or B12 respectively.

Dunno if anyone else has thought of doing similar but having important reponsibilities I had to do something drastic. :|

On the plus side, I think I'll use some of the free time to hone my DJing skills, now that I can have some 'me time' on the decks I can try and improve my mixing and learn to scratch and beat juggle. We'll see....
Last edited by DJ ID on Wed May 16, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

esq

Post by esq » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:53 am

Good luck, mate!

I would love to do that, but I'm afraid it might slightly impact my online business... :lol:

I spend way too much time on the computer.

samuel
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by samuel » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:08 am

Good luck 8)

esq

Post by esq » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:28 am

Elusive wrote: so i'm gonna stop coming on here now so i'll only be doing a few more posts and i'm out of here to get a life ...
HOH5 is the last time i'm gonna dj out, i'm giving that up as from then

good luck bro ;)
:shock: :shock: :shock:

motionabsolute
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by motionabsolute » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:13 am

I dont even own a home computer I spend 8 hours in front of one in work, and the last fackin thing I wanna do is go home and spend another 4 or 5 hours in front of one.

djram
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by djram » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:32 am

I did his with T.V.

Never looked back.

strongforce

Post by strongforce » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:39 am

Good luck to your Charlie, you'll be missed on here & radio. Understandable with home commitments & the little one too, so im sure you'll see a more productive use of your home time.

I know I prob spend too much time on forums but I'd rather do that than watch shit on tv & my friday show is the only time I have a proper mix during the week, so im glad the audience gives me the encouragement to set aside a dedicated mixing slot.

Anyway, as you said, you'll still be postiong on here & im sure you'll still be at a few events, so all's not lost ;) :)

Markymark
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Markymark » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:03 am

im sure people have noticed my 'will you still be coming on here in 10 years', and 'are we coming on here too much' type threads :lol: i think i come on here far too much, and considering my missus has just give birth you'd think that might make some sort of impact, but no.

ive been planning to come off here for about a year now :lol: i will do eventually, once i get an idea like this in my head it never goes away. and then hopefully ill come on occasionally as thats all i should be coming on at that moment.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:07 am

it's always risky to do a "i'm leaving the internet" post though, especially if you crack later and come back on... although actually cutting off your net off is a good way of reinforcing it :lol:

i know all too well what you mean though. anyone embarrassed about their post count should just look at mine on USH and you'll feel better in comparsion :lol: when i really think about it, it actually scares me how much of my life i've spent there. even here, considering i've not been here half as long as many of the regulars, my post count is a bit too high to be perfectly honest...the only reason i'm not too bothered now is that i'm doing most of my posting at work, in the absence of other things to do. and although i post in the evenings it's not that much.

it's also all too easy to get caught up in arguments and the like online, and you have to take a step back and think, it IS just the internet, and how ridiculous it is...

mind you, if i think back on all the things that getting to know people online has done for me, that's a different matter. i'm living with people i know, essentially, from the net - if i'd never started using the forums i'd be living back in glasgow, at home, and i'd be depressed, so it's not all bad :lol:

DJ ID

Post by DJ ID » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04 am

Elusive wrote:i'm starting a new job soon so hopefully that'll help matters too, with the summer coming the last place i want to be is in front of the pc again
HOH5 is the last time i'm gonna dj out, i'm giving that up as from then

good luck bro ;)
Well done on the job front mate! =D> 8)

Last time you are gonna play out?! :shock: :( Now I am sad to hear that mate.

I'm gonna actually try and play out a bit more. I really enjoyed the last couple of times (so if anyone wants to book me, PM me on here, or msn or mail me ;) ). I'll still be checking here and on msn in work hours. I've actually got msn on my mobile too which is helpful. I totally get what you are saying on the radio show Baz. Gonna have to make sure I still mix regularly, and aiming to learn scratching should help me with that. At least I'll have a goal.

TC - I know what you mean about the good side of it. Like I say I've made some good mates through here. Some who have shown a great deal of kindness in various ways. So for that I'm grateful.

I just need to make it so the internet is not constantly in front of me at home. Just to give myself the breathing space to sort my priorities out.

ravegirl
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ravegirl » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:23 am

Traffic Cone wrote:it's also all too easy to get caught up in arguments and the like online, and you have to take a step back and think, it IS just the internet, and how ridiculous it is...
Amen to that! :lol: I've learnt from lesson in that respect, had my fingers burnt, wore the t-shirt, read the book etc etc.

As for the net taking over, i know exactly what you mean!!! We've had a bit of a net cull at home too because our only two streaming PCs died a couple of weeks ago and now my laptop cant connect to the net either (i cant be bothered to investigate why). The only laptop that now connects to the net is Chris's and so i just tend to jump on, check my emails and jump off again. A much healthier option, rather than having my laptop in front of me all night "just in case" someone messages me on MSN (fat chance!!).

Good luck with being netless, ID. You probably really really wont regret it and you'll wonder why on earth you wasted so much time in front of a monitor! :lol:

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:53 am

It's sad to see people leaving the forum.

In this day and age I think it's just as natural to interact with your friends online as would perviously to have met them down the pub every night. I can't see why someone would want to cut off their friends purely because it's over a forum/chatroom/messenger rather than in "real life".

You wouldn't say "right guys, I'm not going to meet or phone your for a year so I can get my life on track" so why do it online?

Good luck with your choices guys, hope something positive comes out of it.

ravegirl
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ravegirl » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:58 am

The thing is tho, DD, is that when your friends are on the net, you have to sit there and "chat" to them, which means you cant do anything else.

If you have friends in real life, as it were, if they're round your house you can at least move about your house doing bits and bobs whilst still talking to them (at least, that's what us multi-tasking women do anyway ;)).

I think when you're on the net you do tend to cut yourself off from everything else in the house, and because the chat room might be busy, you dont want to leave the screen to quickly cook tea or do the washing up, for example, for fear of missing some funny conversation etc.

I've been there in that respect, in the days when #UKHardcore was alive and absolutely buzzing :lol:

I dont think it necessarily means that he has to cut himself off from all of his online "friends". Those who are true friends will no doubt have his mobile/home number anyway so will ring him or meet up with him etc so i dont think he's necessarily cutting out all of his mates from his life completely!

:)
Last edited by ravegirl on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

JACK-0
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by JACK-0 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:59 am

Double Drop wrote:It's sad to see people leaving the forum.

In this day and age I think it's just as natural to interact with your friends online as would perviously to have met them down the pub every night. I can't see why someone would want to cut off their friends purely because it's over a forum/chatroom/messenger rather than in "real life".

You wouldn't say "right guys, I'm not going to meet or phone your for a year so I can get my life on track" so why do it online?

Good luck with your choices guys, hope something positive comes out of it.
Not quite the same tho DD is it, sitting in front of a computer having virtual relationships rather than actually meeting people for a social or looking after your family.I think the net is an alternative way to communicate not a replacement for real social/family interaction

Good luck ID, I hope you and those around you get what you need over the coming months!!!

nee

Post by nee » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:30 am

Double Drop wrote:In this day and age I think it's just as natural to interact with your friends online as would perviously to have met them down the pub every night. I can't see why someone would want to cut off their friends purely because it's over a forum/chatroom/messenger rather than in "real life".
Thanks DD, was about to post exactly the same thing myself...

Im on the net loads, and yes...sometimes it bothers Amber a bit, but at the same time whilst im on here, she's watching the tv. Both are screens, its just the one i choose is interactive ;)
I think sometimes people dont look at the internet as 'normal life' for some odd reason,...almost like some sort of evil, but this is the year 2007 guys!!
Its not like i put the tv on and think "im watching too much telly lately, i will cancel my licence and sell it" or "i really am talking to much to my friends lately, i must stop speaking to them for a bit" :lol:

Maybe that its because the net is still relatively new in the grand scale of things? Do u reckon when the telephone was in its first 10 years people considered cutting it off as they spent more time on that than writing letters to keep in touch?

I have said this many times, but its my belief that when people do posts like "im going" or "im selling my record collection" they probably won't and they're just wanting for people to convince them out of it :lol: :lol: I guess its a bit different in Charlies case cos he cut the BB off first (i think)

Still.... although i dont understand your decision i wish you all the best Charlie! And im sure we'll catch you sometime soon m8 :D