Mac Book Pro

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
mattyc
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Mac Book Pro

Post by mattyc » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:22 pm

My daughter knocked her drink onto my laptop a few days ago and it stopped working.
The insurance wont pay out.
Is it worth trying to get it fixed? I read on the macforum that it will cost as much to repair as replace.
Just wondered if anyone on here has had a similar issue??

tdo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: Mac Book Pro

Post by tdo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:40 pm

If you didn't try to turn it on more than once cover it in rice, leave it in a warm place for a new days and pray. I've seen this work with my own eyes.

mattyc
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by mattyc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:51 am

Oh. I probably made it worse then. Initially the keyboard would light up but no display. I kept trying it and now nothing lights up at all.
I put it in my airing cupboard but still nothing.
Guess ill have to try and get it repaired or at least get a quote

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:32 am

Yes rule number 1 - if you get something electrical wet, DON'T TURN IT ON UNTIL IT HAS COMPLETELY DRIED! I have had phones survive being dropped in the toilet following that simple rule.

If you have fried it, it likely needs a new logic board (which is what Apple call motherboards.) They cost a few hundred quid, so it depends how old your MBP is as to whether it's worth repairing. There are plenty of people on eBay happy to buy such computers to fix them, so don't throw it away.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Think of it as the gods' way of giving you an opportunity to buy something better.

Something not made by Apple for starters. :lol:

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Slag off iPads, iPods and Apple fanboys all you like, I'll even side with you over those, but seriously show me a laptop better made than a Macbook Pro, regardless of price. My agency works in .NET (Windows) but all the developers here choose to use Macs running Windows. There is no better laptop out there, as long as you can afford one.

I'm actually sitting in front of a £1000+ 'top of the range' Toshiba laptop right now because I'm working from home. It's a piece of shit, the build quality is like Playmobil compared to a Macbook Pro, it weighs about a stone, and it takes about 15 minutes to boot up because of all the retarded security software you need on a PC these days. I could have thrown it out the window several times today already.

If you think your PC laptop will fare any better with water poured over it, go ahead and give it a try ;)

lemsip
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by lemsip » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:09 pm

dj jedi wrote:
If you think your PC laptop will fare any better with water poured over it, go ahead and give it a try ;)
My daughter tipped water on my dell, I replaced the keyboard and it was as good as new (i.e. not very).

mattyc
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by mattyc » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:15 pm

dj jedi wrote:Yes rule number 1 - if you get something electrical wet, DON'T TURN IT ON UNTIL IT HAS COMPLETELY DRIED! I have had phones survive being dropped in the toilet following that simple rule.

If you have fried it, it likely needs a new logic board (which is what Apple call motherboards.) They cost a few hundred quid, so it depends how old your MBP is as to whether it's worth repairing. There are plenty of people on eBay happy to buy such computers to fix them, so don't throw it away.
Its only just over a year old, It cost £1300 new so definitely worth a repair I think.
The IT guy at my work said he will check whats wrong with it so I dont waste money on parts I dont need
For what I use it for though I may as well get an ipad 4 and sell the MBP, its mainly only internet and watching films. And Serato. There isnt a Serato app though is there??
Just what I need before Christmas :-|)

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:19 pm

dj jedi wrote:Slag off iPads, iPods and Apple fanboys all you like
Thank you! :lol: ;)

ripple
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ripple » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Ive got to agree with Jedi.... since I got my macbook pro I've realised why everyone who has one rates it so highly. They are the bollox, no PC or laptop I've owned comes near to it. Im far from a fanboy, but its made using piece of equipment so my easier - its like an evolutionary step forward in computing compared to windows.

Junglist_Refugee
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Junglist_Refugee » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:40 pm

I've got a MacBook Pro paperweight s well.
Logic board is gone, not worth replacing, already checked it out via apple & eBay.

If u don't have extended warranty , your screwed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mattyc
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by mattyc » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Junglist_Refugee wrote:I've got a MacBook Pro paperweight s well.
Logic board is gone, not worth replacing, already checked it out via apple & eBay.

If u don't have extended warranty , your screwed.

How much were the logic boards?
How do you find the iPad compared to the mac book for internet and similar stuff?

Junglist_Refugee
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Junglist_Refugee » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Around 400 bucks , if you can find one, then take the risk of it actully working, and installation as well...

iPad is grand for light Internet use, I miss my mac for all the other stuff tho, audio apps / iPhoto / iMovie ect... An iPad is no MacBook Pro ;-)

Touchscreen is great tho, I just rdp into my other boxes, and go touchscreen windows then.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I don't have any choice in the security software running on my PC laptop, it's a work computer. At boot up, there are nearly 40 background processes running using 65% of the 8GB RAM. It's ridiculous. My girlfriend's Macbook Air with 1GB RAM boots up in about 20 seconds.

I imagine many people are in the same boat, and it's incredibly frustrating having to work on a PC that on paper is a decent spec so I can't ask for an upgrade, yet is slower and less capable than my mobile phone :lol:

I agree with you Dave that they're expensive to buy and repair so not for everybody. Until a PC laptop with a retina display (or whatever you want to call them) is released, the MacBook Pr has it sewn up.

chunkstar
Regular
Regular

Post by chunkstar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:44 pm

I don't think I would ever have another iphone or have any need for an iPad but I have had a MacBook pro for about 6 months now for my djing & I must say its an amazing bit of kit, never had a problem with it!