LSD 'may aid alcoholism treatment'

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

LSD 'may aid alcoholism treatment'

Post by alphawave ep » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Found this!!
Psychedelic drug LSD could be used as an effective method to treat alcoholism, scientists say.
The use of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), coupled with relapse prevention treatments, could help alcoholics steer clear of the bottle, research published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology suggests.
Teri Krebs and Pal-Orjan Johansen, who were performing research fellowships at Harvard Medical School in the US, examined a number of previous studies, mostly from the 1960s and 1970s, and found that a number of clinics used LSD to treat alcoholism with some success.
They said they found evidence for a clear and consistent beneficial effect of a low dose of LSD for treating alcohol dependency.
They examined 536 participants, across six medical trials, and found that 59% of LSD patients had improved compared to 38% of control patients.
Researchers said the positive effects of a single dose of the drug, tested by a standardised assessment of problem alcohol use, appeared to last for up to 12 months.
However, they suggested the repeated use of the medication, coupled with preventative treatments, might provide more sustained results.
Investigators of one trial which was examined said: "It was rather common for patients to claim significant insights into their problems, to feel that they had been given a new lease on life, and to make a strong resolution to discontinue their drinking."
Mr Johansen said: "Given the evidence for a beneficial effect of LSD on alcoholism, it is puzzling why this treatment approach has been largely overlooked."

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: LSD 'may aid alcoholism treatment'

Post by aize » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:37 pm

I read about that at uni. An account of the original 60s research. No surprise why it hasn't been followed up on but definitely a risky strategy....

Ric
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:47 pm

I remember reading LSD could perhaps be used to prevent PTSD. If you give the person LSD soon after the event it enables them to remain open, mentally, and more able to face and discuss what happened.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Fuck that! The idea of having some kind of stressful event happen and then taking a bunch of acid straight afterwards, is about as far from my idea of a good time as possible!

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:32 am

aize wrote:Fuck that! The idea of having some kind of stressful event happen and then taking a bunch of acid straight afterwards, is about as far from my idea of a good time as possible!
exactly what I thought! Recipe for mental disaster.

MDMA on the other hand...

Ric

Post by Ric » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am

I think it will be a low level controlled amount as opposed to dropping a blotter :smile: But yeah I know what you mean...I think mdma does sound nicer.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:50 pm

It's hard to identify a pint glass when you've done enough.... I guess it'd work :lol: ;)

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Backchat
Regular
Regular

Post by Backchat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:15 pm

:lol:

spackhandychoptubes
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by spackhandychoptubes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:58 am

there are clinical trials taking place with psilocybin, LSD and MDMA. Don;t be suprised if any of these pop up on prescription at some point in the future!