Public Sector Jobsworths

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
dj jedi

Public Sector Jobsworths

Post by dj jedi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Reading another article about sick days led me to this one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15594274

What a fucking joke! I have so little sympathy for moaning public sector workers it's untrue. They argue they haven't had a pay rise for 2 years, but try getting them to stay a minute passed 5.30pm, shave 5 minutes off their lunch break, or come to work if they have a runny nose!

A guy that previously worked for the council's in-house web development team started at my company a month ago. Within his first 3 weeks he'd taken 2 days off sick and used 5 days holiday. He then quit a month in because it was 'too hard' - meaning he had to stay late once. :roll:

Sorry for the rant, that article just really pissed me off. All you see in the papers these days is 'public sector workers demand higher pensions' and I have experienced these jokers first hand recently!

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: Public Sector Jobsworths

Post by Double Drop » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Personally speaking I've not had an inflation busting pay rise for twelve years, I'm now half way though a two-year pay freeze and it looks like I'm about to lose about 3.5% of my existing wages to increased pension contributions so that I can receive less pension for contributing more and having to wait longer to receive it.

Add to this the constant vilification in the media and my own employers, HMG, slagging me off at every opportunity and everything is rosy.

How are things in the private sector?

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:42 pm

dj jedi wrote:All you see in the papers these days is 'public sector workers demand higher pensions' and I have experienced these jokers first hand recently!
All we want is the pensions that are part of our current terms and conditions, we don't want anything more, just what was part of our agreed package in our contracts.

Our current pensions were made "fair" four-years ago by the previous government...
in a deal that the National Audit Office reported in December 2010 was "on course to deliver savings and stabilise pension costs", and will save £67 billion for taxpayers.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:52 pm

The Government should honour contracts that have been signed.

Matt Clarke
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Matt Clarke » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Double Drop wrote:How are things in the private sector?
Well I'm now 3 years in to a 8% pay cut.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Matt Clarke wrote:
As I said previously I'm twelve-years in on below inflation rises, what were your nine-years previous to the cut like?

Markymark
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Markymark » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 pm

dj jedi wrote:Reading another article about sick days led me to this one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15594274

What a fcuking joke! I have so little sympathy for moaning public sector workers it's untrue. They argue they haven't had a pay rise for 2 years, but try getting them to stay a minute passed 5.30pm, shave 5 minutes off their lunch break, or come to work if they have a runny nose!

A guy that previously worked for the council's in-house web development team started at my company a month ago. Within his first 3 weeks he'd taken 2 days off sick and used 5 days holiday. He then quit a month in because it was 'too hard' - meaning he had to stay late once. :roll:

Sorry for the rant, that article just really pissed me off. All you see in the papers these days is 'public sector workers demand higher pensions' and I have experienced these jokers first hand recently!
my missus dad used to work in the public sector, he was always talking about the way the papers paint them as a bunch of stay at home lazy twats with regular rises pensions this etc etc. certainly in his work place it was nothing of the sort.

Matt Clarke
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Matt Clarke » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Double Drop wrote:
Matt Clarke wrote:
As I said previously I'm twelve-years in on below inflation rises, what were your nine-years previous to the cut like?
It was fun whilst it lasted. I was just pointing out that it's not all rosey in the private sector either.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Thing is, it's not rosy anywhere. The papers seem to do it to everyone (except the bankers and politicians as they deserve it).

The papers seem to thrive on telling people in the private sector that the public sector people are all lazy bums and useless non-job bureaucrats. Everyone who have lost their jobs through no fault of there own are all lazy spongers who live in 15 bedroom palaces, and all the people on disability benefit are coining it in whilst running marathons.

Suppose it takes people in the private sector's minds off how they're being shat on too.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:50 pm

ian saunders wrote:Suppose it takes people in the private sector's minds off how they're being shat on too.
I wish something would take my mind off of the arbitrary 42,000 staff reduction we're facing in my department...

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:05 am

Double Drop wrote:I wish something would take my mind off of the arbitrary 42,000 staff reduction we're facing in my department...

Does that help?

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:20 am

I think that was my badly put across point - things are equally shit in the private sector for many, yet they don't complain so much. I've also just remembered that the guy I mentioned above was unhappy that the company didn't offer a free gym membership like the council did! :lol:

Obviously they're not all wasters, my mum was a civil servant and I seem to remember her working hard, lots of weekends etc. But yesterday I read 2 articles that basically said statistically (ie factually, not Daily Mail gossip) public sector workers by far take the most sick days. Maybe if they considered how much money a million sick days a year wastes, they'd get an idea of why they're facing job/perk cuts.

I think I've had one day off sick in my entire working life, and that was food poisoning so bad I couldn't move. I also don't get a free pension, often work late/weekends, rarely get a lunch break, etc. Maybe that's why some are doing quite well at the moment, you get out what you put in.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:07 am

Nothing like a good sweeping generalisation with no basis on fact but aren't most public sector workplaces full of homosexuals? ;)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:18 am

Haha - I'd hardly call a million sick days in one council alone a sweeping generalisation :lol:

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:00 pm

You get some wasters in every job.

There's no mileage in publishing a story about a hundred thousand civil servants who just get on and do their jobs though, eh?