The Occupy protests

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: The Occupy protests

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:47 pm

I refer the gentlemen to my previous comment. Nuff said ;)

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:05 pm

pineappletribe wrote:I refer the gentlemen to my previous comment. Nuff said ;)

Talking of banking responsibility, in previous crashes bankers could be seen throwing themselves out of the top floor of their office blocks because they'd ruined themselves financially.

Not seen anything like that this time around.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:48 pm

ian saunders wrote:
pineappletribe wrote:I refer the gentlemen to my previous comment. Nuff said ;)

Talking of banking responsibility, in previous crashes bankers could be seen throwing themselves out of the top floor of their office blocks because they'd ruined themselves financially.

Not seen anything like that this time around.
Now you're with me Ian! ;) I don't mean to be flippant... I just find it all so frustrating... I think you can argue this to the nth degree really. But for me, i think it all comes down to responsibility & accountability. Without either, lessons will not be learnt & the perpetrators will just go on enjoying spending their respective bonuses. Governments are too tied-in to these institutions & i am totally with you on the printing of monies etc... It is joke.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:13 pm

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timst ... ll-street/
Zuccotti itself was a disappointment. Only when you get there do you realise the extent to which the Occupy movement is the creation of the mainstream media. The park is tiny (it’s about half the size of Soho Square) and even when it was packed it couldn’t have held more than 1,000. The space was reduced by media presence, which is wall to wall and preposterous. Journalists outnumbered protesters by four to one – there were so few demonstrators that the reporters starting interviewing each other. Whenever something (anything!) happened, we all ran over and filmed it. This included a dog that started barking. I took a photo of it and an Australian journalist stuck a microphone under its nose.
This morning, I woke up and put on the news. It seems that “hundreds” have returned to Zuccotti and announced that they want to occupy the New York Stock Exchange and the subway. Why had they come back when everything seemed so completely over the day before? I went to the window and looked outside and got my answer: it had stopped raining. The reason why Zuccotti Park was empty on Wednesday when I went there wasn’t the police raid: a united movement could easily have regrouped and survived. No, what emptied the park that day was the damp. Now that the skies are cloudless and blue, the fair-weather revolutionaries are drifting back to Wall Street.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:08 am

dj jedi wrote:So my sympathy for the 'banks fucked me over, I'm on the dole' brigade is virtually zero. There's work out there if you want it, Jesus walking down Camden High Street this morning, EVERY shop has vacancy signs in the windows!
Ah, but you're conveniently ignoring the fact that in London there are 10 applicants for every vacancy. So you're argument of 'there's work out there if you want it' holds no water. The ratio is even worse in other parts of the country,

Also, what about the 'banks fucked everyone over, so now, due to 'austerity measures' I've lost my job in the local library (which is closing) and can't get another one so I'm now on the dole and facing huge rises in the cost of living "brigade"'? Any sympathy for them?
And I've still yet to hear a viable alternative.
As has been said, the viable alternative is accountability, responsibility and the cessation of rewarding failure with MASSIVE bonuses and pay-offs.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 am

This is brilliant!

Dave Hartnett, head of HMRC, has spent the last few years shaking hands on sweetheart deals with multinational corporations. Vodafone were let off upwards of £6bn in tax, Goldman Sachs were let off over £10m in tax. By pure chance, Dave Hartnett also happens to be Whitehall's most wined and dined civil servant, accepting expensive dinners and drinks from companies such as KPMG, Ernst and Young, PWC and, of course, Goldman Sachs.

On 9th November Dave Hartnett was delivering the keynote speech at the Corporate Tax Conference, the biggest annual gathering of everyone who's anyone in corporate tax. Some UK Uncut activists dressed up as Vodafone and Goldman Sachs execs and surprised Dave to say a huge thank you for his kind favours.

=D>

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:52 am

Beagle wrote:This is brilliant!

=D>

Bah! can't watch it at work.

I have to respectively top that with this story from the Ukraine - not related to finance, but a video of a guy dressed up as Darth Vader marching into the mayor's office in Odessa to claim his 1,000sq meters of land to park his spaceship.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/no ... nd-ukraine

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:29 pm

Class! Nice post Beagle :D

Markymark
He never locked his car door

Post by Markymark » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 pm

i think im changing my opinion on these occupy protests...

last night after reading up on it all i came across a link of George Soros and Mikhail Gorbachev, two of the world’s most vocal elite globalists backing the protests. a world government/new world order has been mentioned by lots of people in power over the years, its hard to ignore when your reading or hearing those words mentioned so often. when the banking crisis finally does collapse there is a very real possibility of most debt being written off (i cant see how they could keep all the debt each country currently has), and a world currency brought in. 0nly a financial crisis like the one coming could make this possible.

heres the speech
We are reaping the consequences of a strategy that is not conducive to cooperation and partnership, to living in a new global situation. The world needs goals that will bring people together. Some people in the United States were pushing the idea of creating a global American empire, and that was a mistake from the start. Other people in America are now giving thought to the future of their country. The big banks, the big corporations, are still paying the same big bonuses to their bosses. Was there ever a crisis for them? . . . I believe America needs its own perestroika. The entire world situation did not develop properly. We saw deterioration where there should have been positive movement.

My friend the late Pope John Paul II said it best. He said, ‘We need a new world order, one that is more stable, more humane, and more just.’ Others, including myself, have spoken about a new world order, but we are still facing the problem of building such a world order…problems of the environment, of backwardness and poverty, food shortages…all because we do not have a system of global governance. We cannot leave things as they were before, when we are seeing that these protests are moving to even new countries, that almost all countries are now witnessing such protests, that the people want change. As we are addressing these challenges, these problems raised by these protest movements, we will gradually find our way towards a new world order.”
Last edited by Markymark on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Markymark wrote: and a world currency brought in. 0nly a financial crisis like the one coming could make this possible.

A world RESERVE currency would be a tremendously good thing. In the 1970's America was granted the "exorbitant privilege" (as called by DeGaulle) of having the U.S. Dollar as the world currency, which is what remains to this day.

Have you ever been to America and wondered why petrol is so cheap? Yeah they tax it a little lower, but oil production doesn't account for it as the States hit peak oil in the mid 1970's.

Because the Dollar is the world's currency, America can never face a balance of payments crisis.

Because the dollar is the world's reserve currency every other country in the world wants to have as many dollars as possible - they will buy whatever dollars are out there meaning that the dollar can never really devalue - the rest of the world counterbalances it.
This means that America can effectively print money. Hence why they can import oil at a far lower cost than any other nation - they keep it high because it benefits the Saudis as the rest of the world has to pay the inflated price with money of REAL value.

If America has a trade deficit, they can just issue more dollars to cover it - the rest of the world will buy them up.

The rest of the world props up the dollar because it's everyone's reserve currency.

If you've ever wondererd why the most powerful, richest nation on earth has so many slums and people in poverty, is becasue it doesn't NEED it's people to stimulate the economy - neither do the Saudi's due to their oil.

America, and the governemnt there would not welcome a global currency, as it would remove their privilege.

Problem is, is that the rest of the world (especially China) has started dumping its dollars. They've used the privilege for so long and ran massive deficits that basically the rest of the world is stopping buying dollars before America can stop borrowing them.

Then the states would be left with an enormous deficit with no chance of ever paying it back, zero domestic demand, a massive price rise on oil and energy.

This has happened before as before the dollar was the worlds reserve currency, the English pound was. The cost of 2 world wars basically changed our economic policy forever and we're still struggling with it now.

Markymark

Post by Markymark » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:47 pm

ian saunders wrote:America, and the governemnt there would not welcome a global currency, as it would remove their privilege.
america hasnt got a choice in the matter, the dollar is doomed to fail now

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:37 am

Markymark wrote:
ian saunders wrote:America, and the governemnt there would not welcome a global currency, as it would remove their privilege.
america hasnt got a choice in the matter, the dollar is doomed to fail now
Yep, and it ain't gonna be pretty when every American suddenly face a 400% (at least) increase in cost when they go to buy gas.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:13 pm

The US is one of the largest sources of petrolium, I can't see their prices rising fast.

Ours is only so high because Labour increased the tax so much as part of the barmy EU climate change bollocks.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:43 pm

America hit peak oil in 1970 - hence why they indulge in higher risk strategies like the drilling that went wrong in the Gulf of Mexico, and they're trying to go for shail oil extraction.
They've became ever more reliant on imports since the mid 70's.