The Occupy protests

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

The Occupy protests

Post by ian saunders » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:50 pm

What does everyone make of them? I've read so much about them over the past couple of weeks.

I'm broadly sympathetic to them and agree with most of the points they raise.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: The Occupy protests

Post by Double Drop » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Bunch of unwashed who've run out of bypasses to delay.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:20 pm

All for them. It's good to see people make a stand against what they see as an intolerable situation where the corporate greed of the 1% is screwing things up for the 99%.

Fair play and long may they continue.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:36 pm

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:51 am

Beagle wrote:All for them. It's good to see people make a stand against what they see as an intolerable situation where the corporate greed of the 1% is screwing things up for the 99%.

Fair play and long may they continue.
Agreed.

But i reckon if you had a conversation with any one of them, ultimately you would come to the conclusion that they are slightly retarded :lol: ;)

I wouldn't want to lose the freedom to protest though -> whatever your viewpoint may be.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:23 am

Well going on the fact they can sit in tents all day for weeks on end, it's fair to assume none of them work and are on benefits. I wonder if they've considered that the 40%+ tax the people they're protesting against pay is where their benefits come from. Perhaps all of these 'greedy fat cats' should stop working too, and by doing so end the welfare state we live in.

As with anything like this, I'm all for it in principal, but am always disappointed by the reality (see DD's point above.) 90% of them really don't understand what they're supposedly fighting for. Which is obvious because England would be like Etheopia or any other third world country without the corporate giants.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:39 am

dj jedi wrote:Well going on the fact they can sit in tents all day for weeks on end, it's fair to assume none of them work and are on benefits.
Well, that's just lazy assumption-making and stereotyping. In fact, the protesters are from different backgrounds.

This is about Wall Street:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... erals.html

This is all I could quickly find about St. Pauls:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ices-video

You'll also find that your assumption that "90% of them really don't understand what they're supposedly fighting for" is a load of old tosh too. 8)

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 pm

What gets me is that the media label them all as "anti-capitalists". Now no doubt some of them are, but from what i've read the vast majority just want a more responsible form of capitalism. The BBC and various papers who describe them as such are generally misleading.

It's largely about the rising inequality in society, and the gap is widening year upon year. As for the "corporate giants", this country for the past 30 years has been run exclusively for the financial industry. If they're so successful in what they do how come the taxpayer (and everybody pays tax in one form or another) had to bail them out to the tune of hundreds of billions of pounds?

Then to pay for it, pensions get cut, people get laid off, tuition fees rise, people live in mortal terror of losing their jobs. And somehow it becomes these peoples fault for the economic crisis (or Europe, or immigrants delete as appropriate). This leads to a lack of deamd resulting in more people getting laid off...the system in its present form is eating itself up.

I support them protesting, regardless of their background.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Whilst we're on about misnomers, how about this "Greek bailout" that everyone's getting so frothy about?

It isn't a greek bailout, it's a bailout of banks -the greek people aren't going to seee a penny of this cash, but will have to pay for it via austerity measures. The money that comes from French, german taxpayers will go straight to the banks.

and even with a 50% reduction in the greek debt (money that should have never been lent to Greece in the first place, although that's a symbol of banks corrupt and fraudulent practices), greece will never be able to re-pay these debts. Because the austerity measures put in place will stop it dead, and a few years down the line this whole sorry fiasco will re-occur.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Beagle wrote: Well, that's just lazy assumption-making and stereotyping. In fact, the protesters are from different backgrounds.
I don't think six videos is conclusive evidence that it's a well focused protest mate. They're hardly going to upload the ones of jobless bums saying "I'm sat here because my mates are!"

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 pm

ian saunders wrote:If they're so successful in what they do how come the taxpayer (and everybody pays tax in one form or another) had to bail them out to the tune of hundreds of billions of pounds?
So based on that, it would also be perfectly reasonable for those rich bankers to be pretty cheesed off that 40-50% of their hard-earned money gets 'wasted' on supporting people who have never worked and have no intention of ever working. I'm fairly sure supporting the 3 million unemployed people (plus god-knows how many single mothers) in this country indefinitely is costing 'us' rather a lot more than the 3 banking crises we've had in the last hundred years. Yet you don't see them camping outside MotherCare and the Job Centre.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:58 pm

with u ian.... it's ludicrous/farcical/disgusting...

it's all about mismanagement & not facing up to the problem.. for me, i say let the banks fvcking fail. do not bail them out.. then prosecute accordingly...

sadly what i think is never gonna happen. no one has the balls to let this happen. too worried about the 'knock on effects of not stepping in'. losing votes etc. the public has had enough of it imo & i am sure i am not in the minority. i get the economic arguments against allowing banks to fail, but really how else is anyone going to be accountable.

like the protestors (in some cases say) they want a 'better' form of capitalism... well so do i... and i don't see how that goal can be achieved without accountability.

honestly - i don't care who u are - surely u cannot defend the role of the banks in any way shape or form during this or the last financial crisis. they are unaccountable cvnts.

rant only just started :evil:

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:08 pm

dj jedi wrote:So based on that, it would also be perfectly reasonable for those rich bankers to be pretty cheesed off that 40-50% of their hard-earned money gets 'wasted' on supporting people who have never worked and have no intention of ever working. I'm fairly sure supporting the 3 million unemployed people (plus god-knows how many single mothers) in this country indefinitely is costing 'us' rather a lot more than the 3 banking crises we've had in the last hundred years. Yet you don't see them camping outside MotherCare and the Job Centre.

Ah yes, that's who's to blame for this mess we find ourselves in. Not incompetent bankers who award themselves million pound bonuses per year, or the equally incompetent government that do their bidding. No, it's the people who have lost their jobs and the mothers whose fellas have gone on the missing list.

The bastards. :lol:

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:15 pm

:lol:

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm certainly not saying the banks and bankers are blameless, mistakes have obviously been made and irresponsible companies and individuals have caused massive problems for many people. Completely agree with that.

But you do also realise that these bankers, trading billions of pounds each day, are the reason why we have a strong currency, free health service, etc etc? You don't really think the 25% income tax paid by John Smith working on the checkout of Tesco's puts us as a world leader do you? No, its the MILLIONS/BILLIONS of pounds of tax that the banks and high earners contribute each year.

And yes sorry, as somebody who works for a living it does annoy me that we live in a country where it's perfectly acceptable to not work and scrounge your entire life. Thsat pisses me off MUCH more than the banking crisis/capitalism.

The geniuses protesting want to get rid of bankers, but haven't considered how society as they know it/scrounge from would operate without them.