New Car - Advice

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: New Car - Advice

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:57 am

i drove a passat 2.0 diesel estate and that was very nice... almost bought it actually!

very solid. i can't remember what exact model, but it had leather seats etc and was actually quite classy for the price imo. drove nicely & i seem to remember liking the gears on the thing..... a bit of an old mans' car though ;)

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:00 am

haha yea i agree with that. i personally wouldnt drive one (im ony 27!) but they do seem a quality car

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:36 am

Yeah, Passats are nice if you need a car that big; especially the new shape.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:07 am

As i can't drive i have limited input to make on this thread.

Except to say that all new cars (with the exception of Ferraris etc) all look exactly the same. I yearn for the days of the Capri, the Vauxhall Chevette, and the Austin Montego.

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:27 am

ian saunders wrote:As i can't drive i have limited input to make on this thread.

Except to say that all new cars (with the exception of Ferraris etc) all look exactly the same. I yearn for the days of the Capri, the Vauxhall Chevette, and the Austin Montego.
you know that. i saw one of these in aldgate the other year for sale but didnt have aprice but im guessing a fortune as it was absolutely mint. had a very small reluctant for sale sign in the corner. the kind of car that if i had money i would buy over anything new

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:31 am

i love those old beamers... 3 or 5 series... any of the box-shaped ones with the round headlights... lovely cars!

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:40 am

The thing is that now cars like the Montego, Maestro ect are actually rarer that old Lotus', Triumph Stags etc.

Can't remember what it was called but there's a website where you type in the name of a car and it tells you how many there are left in existence (on road or off road).

You'd be surprised how few Montegos there are around.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am

ian saunders wrote:The thing is that now cars like the Montego, Maestro ect are actually rarer that old Lotus', Triumph Stags etc.

Can't remember what it was called but there's a website where you type in the name of a car and it tells you how many there are left in existence (on road or off road).

I saw a TR6 over the weekend - i hadn't seen one of those in years! My TR7 was my favourite 'matchbox' car when i was a kid... ah the memories :lol:

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:58 am

I was always more of a Capri man, thing with TR7's is that even though they looked sporty they only went about 95 MPH at full tilt.

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:03 pm

haha jesus christ tr7! i remember when i was like 9 or 10 my dad had one for a bit! i thought it was the bollox. one thing i remember thinking was amazing was that it started by pressing a button. a true pioneer!

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 pm

ian saunders wrote:The thing is that now cars like the Montego, Maestro ect are actually rarer that old Lotus', Triumph Stags etc.

That's because Montegos and Maestros were absolute shit-heaps that fell apart after 50k miles :lol:
Old Lotuses and Triumphs on the other hand are enthusiasts cars that were looked after and cherished.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 pm

pineappletribe wrote: I saw a TR6 over the weekend - i hadn't seen one of those in years! My TR7 was my favourite 'matchbox' car when i was a kid... ah the memories :lol:
a mate of mine used to have a TR7. He loved it although it broke down on an almost daily basis!

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:07 pm

The TR6 sounded like a box of spanners tbh... but it was good to see it running. Yeah i know what you mean about the TR7, though as a kid i just liked the shape of it (as a matchbox toy car!)

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:07 pm

ha yea i dont actually remember going many places in it!

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Beagle wrote:
That's because Montegos and Maestros were absolute shit-heaps that fell apart after 50k miles :lol:
Old Lotuses and Triumphs on the other hand are enthusiasts cars that were looked after and cherished.
Thye may have been shit heaps but i have a tender spot in my heart for that era of cars :lol: They're probably appreciating in value now though (in tiny increments) due to their rarity.