Iphone 4....

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: Iphone 4....

Post by Double Drop » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:36 pm

It's the HTC Evo 4G I'm liking the look of.

But then I already have a shit-hot touchscreen smartphone with a 4.3" screen, 1Ghz processor, etc, so I'm in no rush to upgrade.

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:43 pm

Double Drop wrote:It's the HTC Evo 4G I'm liking the look of.

But then I already have a shit-hot touchscreen smartphone with a 4.3" screen, 1Ghz processor, etc, so I'm in no rush to upgrade.
Your phone does what? Please point me in the direction of the Iphone killer apps. Been almost a month now & I still can't find none...... Please point me in the right direction as I think I'm lost. I'm beginning to wonder if they do exist..... :)

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:53 am

Lien wrote:
Double Drop wrote:It's the HTC Evo 4G I'm liking the look of.

Your phone does what? Please point me in the direction of the Iphone killer apps. Been almost a month now & I still can't find none...... Please point me in the right direction as I think I'm lost. I'm beginning to wonder if they do exist..... :)
All the apps I've seen for the iPhone are just pure gimmicks.

My "trendy" iPhone owning mates always get theirs out in the pub and try and show off: "look I've got an app that tells me where I can get fast food in a strange town!", I point out that my phone has access to Google over its fully-featured internet and I can search for anything in a strange town.

Why the fuck would I be in a strange town? Twats.

My brother was showing off his the other day: "look I've got an app that lets me touch the screen and it looks like ripples in water". Wow, how useful! :lol:

Have you got an app that makes your screen 4.3"?

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:28 am

What's the benefit of a 4:3 screen?

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:55 am

Lien wrote:
Milwaukees-Junglist wrote:HTC......
Is fucking shite....

index.php?f=8&t=117345&p=1035485&hilit= ... c#p1035431

Had both now for quite a while...... Android has got so much catch up to do its unreal.
How does the Android phone compare for internet access and general ease-of-use then? I've used iPhones enough to know I like them, but don't know if I can warrant £100 on a phone. The HTC is cheap, so I'm considering....

I'd ask a mate, but I dont know a single person who's got one! :lol:

earthquake
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by earthquake » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:18 am

electric tribe
He never locked his car door

Post by electric tribe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:50 am

Beagle wrote:
Lien wrote:
Milwaukees-Junglist wrote:HTC......
Is fucking shite....

index.php?f=8&t=117345&p=1035485&hilit= ... c#p1035431

Had both now for quite a while...... Android has got so much catch up to do its unreal.
How does the Android phone compare for internet access and general ease-of-use then? I've used iPhones enough to know I like them, but don't know if I can warrant £100 on a phone. The HTC is cheap, so I'm considering....

I'd ask a mate, but I dont know a single person who's got one! :lol:
had desire for a couple of weeks. Is more than fine for what i want. Internet is great on it. no problems at all. Mainly end up just reading this site on the train. lol

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:33 am

You are still not listing any killer apps.
I can google fully on my iPhone aswell through it's Internet no problem.
I suppose it might help if you actually leave the small town you live in once in a while, then such apps may be useful.
Of course there plenty of pointless apps in the app store but there's plenty of shit hot ones aswell. That's thebenifit of having the largest library to choose from I suppose. You resort to trying to slag off other things rather than say exactly why yours are better

electric tribe

Post by electric tribe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:08 am

c_funk wrote:You are still not listing any killer apps.
I can google fully on my iPhone aswell through it's Internet no problem.
I suppose it might help if you actually leave the small town you live in once in a while, then such apps may be useful.
Of course there plenty of pointless apps in the app store but there's plenty of shit hot ones aswell. That's thebenifit of having the largest library to choose from I suppose. You resort to trying to slag off other things rather than say exactly why yours are better
got an 8 track music sequencer on my desire that is pretty dope.

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:10 am

That's a more balanced and constructive post cheers!
Do you have much in the way of gaming? Or ports of old classics?

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Electric Tribe wrote:got an 8 track music sequencer on my desire that is pretty dope.
Nice. Whats it called?

Re-Birth has just been done for the Iphone. I hope they do Reason for the Ipad

fannypad
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by fannypad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Had a chance to use an HD2 extensively the other week, thought it was awful.

The screen's brilliant, but the device is absolutely massive because of it, perfect for a PDA that you keep in a bag but I couldn't deal with it dangling in my trouser pocket all day (cue the "it's a real phone for real men" comebacks).

In terms of usability, it was rubbish. The custom HTC UI looks good, but it's still the same old Windows Mobile crap underneath that occasionally rears its ugly head in more than a few menus. The touchscreen, whilst capacitive, is nowhere near as responsive as an iPhone's or even a Palm Pre's. Typing on it was a chore, even with the haptics turned on. Pinch zooming and scrolling in IE and Google Maps was a painful experience compared to iPhone/Android.

Getting around the menus was annoying, full of occasional freezing and jerky popups. To be fair this is to be expected and unavoidable as Windows Mobile, by design, cannot take advantage of accelerated 3D hardware in the Snapdragon, or any other, CPU to draw the UI elements. From the beginning, iPhone OS and Palm WebOS (not sure about Android) have always used hardware compositing for all elements of the UI, meaning everything's rendered as a 3D surface using the 3D hardware for smooth lag-free transitions, which makes a big difference in day to day use.

I could go on but first impressions count and the whole thing just felt rough, awkward and unpolished. I'd happily sacrifice a few token features to have something that is actually enjoyable and not frustrating to use on a daily basis.

Although if iPhone, Android and the Palm Pre weren't around, it would indeed be a class leader no doubt. Unfortunately they are here to stay...

As for iPhone 4, it looks like a decent upgrade from the 3GS. The quad resolution screen is a massive bonus and I rate the return to premium materials (glass and steel) all round, the only thing I didn't like about the last two was the plastic back.

My housemate (doing a PhD in quantum physics) did some calculations based on the theoretical resolution of a human eye and at a viewing distance of 35cm, the 325-odd dpi of the iPhone 4 screen basically matches that of the retina as a whole (the fovea can probably resolve more). Basically no more pixels.

dj rizzla

Post by dj rizzla » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Haha, that will do me.

Woz gettin worried there for a sec thinkin i should have gone for a HTC but Fannypad always knows the ku when it comes to the techy stuff.

Looks like iPhone all the way then !

8)

electric tribe

Post by electric tribe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Lien wrote:
Electric Tribe wrote:got an 8 track music sequencer on my desire that is pretty dope.
Nice. Whats it called?

Re-Birth has just been done for the Iphone. I hope they do Reason for the Ipad
Re-loop. Nice for on the go. They have a drum machine also called Electrum Drum 2. So can write your beats in there and transfer to reloop.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Haven't you guys learned yet, he's just the forum's official troll! He probably has an iPhone himself!