Iphone App recommendations

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
JACK-0
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Iphone App recommendations

Post by JACK-0 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am

Seeing as virtually everything I've d/loaded has been shit thought I'd see what you lot like!!

Angry Birds - offers hours of play very addictive trying to 3 star each level
Trainline - essential little app
Bloomberg - a bit clunky but does the trick

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Re: Iphone App recommendations

Post by lien » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:02 am

Dub Siren
http://www.dubsiren.com/

Unblock me

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:24 am

what sort of thing do you want to do?

Surely there're loads of practical, useful apps.

J3D
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by J3D » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:55 am

The Simpsons Arcade

Ghostcam

soopaslooth
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by soopaslooth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Top Gun - didn't expect this to be much cop but its actually pretty fun in a sort of 'Afterburner-clone' way. And it has the awesome soundtrack :)

Trenches.

Inbetweeners soundboard (you bumder)

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Falldown
flight control
doodlejump
streets of rage
monkey island

audiohazard
Regular
Regular

Post by audiohazard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:47 pm

Doodlejump
parachute panic
ragdoll blaster
technobox
around me

in fact around me gets my thumbs up for most constructive app and that new augmented reality feature is pretty fucking crazy.

O2 sent me a new phone today and the battery meter doesn't fuck about like itdid on the last phone. I wonder if people will be able to get hold of me when I am in doors now??

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Satellite tracking app: http://simpleflybys.com/

:)

tdo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by tdo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Pocket Universe

bazfalty
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by bazfalty » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:57 am

tunemark, good radio app where you can tune in to online stations.
stanza good for reading pdf books

JACK-0
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by JACK-0 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:39 am

d/loaded track and field from the app store!

Good little game, well made and decent controls, worth 59p

fannypad

Post by fannypad » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am

Angry Birds takes the piss, sucked down hours of my life and had me dashing the phone across the room on several occasions.

Here's a few I find myself using on a daily basis:

RadioBOX is the best radio streaming app around, comes with a wicked web-based config utility so you don't have to arse about manually typing stream URL's on the iPhone keyboard. Got all the London FM pirates in there, works perfectly with a large stream buffer size.

Todo is a fantastic task list/project management app, syncs with Outlook and iCal. Just wish all this shit was integrated into the standard Calendar app like it should've been from the start.

Zen Bound is soothing to play whilst in the bath/having a wank/both.

If you live in London, GPS-Minicab finds you via GPS and when you press the nice big "TOUCH HERE" button will send an Addison Lee to whichever gutter you're currently puking in.

Not an app, but TVCatchup.com lets you watch live terrestrial TV for free in surprisingly good quality, works well over 3G too.

BeatMaker is a decent sequencer and sample editor, good for quickly getting ideas down on the tube/bog. Can import/export audio to/from AudioView as well.

One for the freelancers, Invoice2Go takes a lot of fiddling to set up but once you clock it can make quick, custom .PDF invoices which can be emailed straight from the phone.

If you're into sound engineering, SignalScope Pro and SignalSuite let you plug in a mic and do FFT and spectrum analysis, signal generation etc. I use it for running 10-60Hz sine sweeps through the subs in surround AV setups I've built and feeling my nutsack oscillate.

iTeleport/Jaadu VNC: cracking VNC client (for controlling desktop computers remotely). Use it for fixing clients' PC's whilst still in bed and charging the same hourly rate. Nice. Combine it with SleepOver (Wake On LAN client) and you can for example switch on a computer remotely, queue up a torrent whilst on the bus, and have it ready for when you get home.

The following are only for jailbroken phones:

Install0us: piracy for dummies. Download and install App Store apps for free straight from the phone in three clicks.

WiFiFoFum: excellent wifi scanner, will detect and let you connect to weak hotspots that the built-in wifi utility won't even show.

iBlueNova: lets you send/receive photos, mp3s, videos etc through Bluetooth (again, another feature that should have been there from the start).

MyWi: lets you tether your iPhone to a computer via USB/Bluetooth so you can use the net on a laptop through the iPhone's inclusive internet allowance. Free of charge. Can also turn the phone into a wifi hotspot to easily connect a laptop to it without cables. No more need for USB internet dongles with separate contracts.

Mail Attachment Downloader Plugin: lets you view and save any email attachment from within the built-in Mail app.

Safari Download Plugin: lets you download any file straight from Safari, including from sites like Rapidshare, Megaupload etc.

iFile: proper file browser that lets you open any type of file, edit text files, copy, paste and attach files to emails, unzip .ZIP and .RAR files, put several files into a .ZIP/.RAR and then email it to someone etc etc. With this and the VNC client above, I can do pretty much anything I could with a proper laptop on the go.

ProSwitcher: excellent multitasking app switcher. Can run any app in the background and switch between them with a nice smooth interface. I mostly use it for running streaming audio apps like Spotify and RadioBOX in the background whilst reading emails etc. Also handy when you're copying/pasting loads of shit between different apps, no need to close and relaunch, just double-click the home button and you've got a scrolling list of all the open apps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWwkQnZ66WA

Don't know what I'd do without being able to jailbreak the phone. Turns it from a toy to a proper tool.

g
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by g » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:15 am

fannypad wrote: Don't know what I'd do without being able to jailbreak the phone. Turns it from a toy to a proper tool.
sorry for the bump been away for a bit... how did you break yours? any rec's on software d/loads to do it?

cheers

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:47 am

An app that lets the phone multitask?

tdo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by tdo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Double Drop wrote:An app that lets the phone multitask?
Yes, it's called iPhone OS4