jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: iphone or blackberry ?

Post by jonny » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 pm

c_funk wrote:
Double Drop wrote:HTC HD2.

Blows both of those out of the water.
You are the only person who owns one aren't you?

Agree abou the battery on the iPhone. Apart from that I have had no problems at all

I have one too and can confirm that DD is 100% spot on the HTC HD2 is streets ahead of any smartphone on the market at present including the over hyped iPhone, look at the reviews for yourself mate. :)

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed May 05, 2010 8:58 am

OK, I've been using my girlfriends iPhone and I can't imagine what another phone would do any better.

It's so quick and easy to use; everything is effortless and the gui is perfect.

The phone-call quality is better than I expected (better than my older Nokia) and the battery life is fine (again better than my Nokia).
Internet access is as quick as our laptop.

I fail to see how the HTC can be any better to use. Different, sure, but better? In the end, I'm sure it just comes down to which user-interface you prefer to use.

Oh, and you can make acid house on it! :lol:

earthquake
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by earthquake » Wed May 05, 2010 9:21 am

Beagle wrote:OK, I've been using my girlfriends iPhone and I can't imagine what another phone would do any better.

It's so quick and easy to use; everything is effortless and the gui is perfect.

The phone-call quality is better than I expected (better than my older Nokia) and the battery life is fine (again better than my Nokia).
Internet access is as quick as our laptop.

I fail to see how the HTC can be any better to use. Different, sure, but better? In the end, I'm sure it just comes down to which user-interface you prefer to use.

Oh, and you can make acid house on it! :lol:
For me the tipping point was the price. I refuse to pay £30 a month PLUS another £150 for the phone!

The Desire is £30 a month, free phone plus £30 on a 16gb micro sd.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed May 05, 2010 9:37 am

ah, yes, fair enough!

krakp0t
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by krakp0t » Wed May 05, 2010 12:23 pm

DJ Jedi wrote:Blackberry has much better battery life (several days instead of several hours) but the internet browser is far inferior to the iphone's.

The fundamental difference for me was touch screen vs buttons - I prefer pressing buttons so got the Blackberry :lol:
Must agree here. iPhone is a great media device but I find the virtual keys a bit tiresome for heavy email use.

fannypad
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by fannypad » Wed May 05, 2010 5:17 pm

krakp0t wrote:Must agree here. iPhone is a great media device but I find the virtual keys a bit tiresome for heavy email use.
I was of the same opinion before I got my hands on one, now I find myself typing at a fair whack on the on-screen keyboard, far faster than I can on any phone-sized device with physical keys.

One of the main advantages is the seamless auto-correction, you can just bash away ignoring any typing mistakes you make as 98 times out of a hundred they'll be corrected... correctly. With a Blackberry for example, I find myself having to be vigilant and cautious in case I press a wrong key, then waste time deleting and re-typing if I clock a mistake.

Milwaukees-Junglist wrote:The only trouble with both of those is that they don't play divx/xvid which is a major pain in the arse but probably worth it for the apps and slick UI.
Not that big a deal if you've got a reasonably powerful computer; just use Handbrake to convert the original video file to the optimal codec and resolution for the device you'll be playing it on. Saves memory space and battery life, especially on those devices that don't support hardware acceleration of certain codecs.

Takes my Core i7 system under 10 minutes to convert a 720p HD .mkv file to an iPhone-optimised .mp4 one, and you can set up batch jobs: http://handbrake.fr/

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat May 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Ended up getting an i-phone in the end.

Amazing piece of kit.

JACK-0
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by JACK-0 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:58 am

Jailbroke my 3GS last week (with Spirit) every app free now and aload of custom stuff too!! NOTHING better than a Jailbroken iphone IMO.

Note: if you jailbreak your iphone make sure you run a killswitch otherwise those cracked apps are never gonna work

milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Sun May 16, 2010 2:49 am

fannypad wrote:
Milwaukees-Junglist wrote:The only trouble with both of those is that they don't play divx/xvid which is a major pain in the arse but probably worth it for the apps and slick UI.
Not that big a deal if you've got a reasonably powerful computer; just use Handbrake to convert the original video file to the optimal codec and resolution for the device you'll be playing it on. Saves memory space and battery life, especially on those devices that don't support hardware acceleration of certain codecs.

Takes my Core i7 system under 10 minutes to convert a 720p HD .mkv file to an iPhone-optimised .mp4 one, and you can set up batch jobs: http://handbrake.fr/

Yep. I work in web/media and have convert all our online video to mp4/h264 to keep iphone users happy so I know it's possible. The best thing I've seen for seamless iphone video conversion is Doubletwist. But still, given the choice, I'd prefer to just copy the divx file straight onto my phone like I can with my Samsung i8910.

HTC desire is getting divx support in a firmware update. Can't decide between that and the new iphone. Very nearly bought the Desire yesterday but the apps and interface on the iphone are so good I decided to wait and see what the new iphone 2010 is like.