Now this is the end of an era....

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Re: Now this is the end of an era....

Post by lien » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:30 pm

I got the email & passing on... so if its just MK2's. I'm happy :)

DJ ID
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by DJ ID » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:08 pm

And what a suprise.... they held the patent on that design for over 20 years and absolutely creamed it off of that. They do virtually piss all with the design. Then once the patent expires and some other people start doing new and interesting stuff with the design, at a lower price.... do they bother upping their game and lowering their prices???....No!!! They just stop.

Well done Technics.... The kings of 'sitting on your laurels'. :S

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:41 am

DJ ID wrote:And what a suprise.... they held the patent on that design for over 20 years and absolutely creamed it off of that. They do virtually piss all with the design. Then once the patent expires and some other people start doing new and interesting stuff with the design, at a lower price.... do they bother upping their game and lowering their prices???....No!!! They just stop.

Well done Technics.... The kings of 'sitting on your laurels'. :S
they did improve on it , with the mk5g
how could you actually improve the mk5g? 78 rpm would be a nice option (like the mk4s) but not really necessary for most djs
well?.....

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:50 am

I was skeptical about it being the entire range of SL1200 turntables after reading it, especially being 'an email from a friend' type affair. But as far as Technics resting on their laurels, I have to say that it must have been hard for them to improve on something that was designed, engineered and manufactured so well in the first place. I think the best improvement they made was the push button quartz lock, and that was made back on the MkIIIs which are what I have, the recessed on/off switch was cool too, but I'm not really that bothered about not doing +/- 500% in honesty, it can be adjusted to give more range, but it's also fair to say that you lose some accuracy too as each little nudge will have a proportionally greater effect. The SL1200 Mk II's and onwards are unarguably great pieces of kit.

It is still an end of an era once manufacturing of the MK II's stop though, but honestly, I have to say I prefer not to have to deal with the "pitch area of uncertainty" around the zero pitch mark and would not trade my MK III's for MK II's any day of the week.

djhaze
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by djhaze » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:06 am

ah so that makes a little more sense. retired my mk2s years ago in favour of the m3ds when they were released.

the only adaption i've ever fancied was an extra +/- 2% on the pitch...though not the way most do it, ie squashing the extra 2% into the space already used by +/-6-8%. i know you can self mod but i like my pitch to have finer increments than the sloppyness inherent with mods.

J3D

Post by J3D » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:58 pm

SL1200 MK 6 Comes out in December just intime for xmas
so out with the Old and in with the New !

http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=829

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by DJ_Nik_Gnashers » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Spent the last 2 days searching everywhere online to find any proof and cant find ANY, also and am waiting from an email from panasonic tech support to either confirm or deny the rumours.
The last email I got back from panasonic tech support was march 2008 and was as follows:
ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr Harper,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the uncharacteristic delay in our response. Due to an unexpected increase in the number of contacts we have recently received, we have been unable to provide as speedy a response as we would normally.

In response, we are unaware of any near future plans to discontinue this model.

I would explain that we have no further information for new releases at this time, other than that already displayed on our website. We would suggest that you please keep checking the following website for updates, as any information regarding new releases will be added to this site as soon as it becomes available:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

customer.care@panasonic.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------
Seeing as nothing is on the panasonic website yet, I can only assume these rumours are just that at the moment :)

J3D

Post by J3D » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:29 am

me to think its just all a rumour now

rumours date back on google as far as jan 2007 !

just weird though as scratchworx are usually on the ball

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:24 am

makes sense though
what do technics make now?
they've stopped producing mixers and the cdj they brought out
so they're down to only analogue TTs and headphones , analogue TTs most people now just buy them used

J3D

Post by J3D » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:10 am

The_Ruffneck wrote:makes sense though
what do technics make now?
they've stopped producing mixers and the cdj they brought out
so they're down to only analogue TTs and headphones , analogue TTs most people now just buy them used
mate Technics are Panasonic they make shit loads

PLASMAS
LCD'S
DVD'S
BLUE RAYS
HI FI'S
RECORDERS
DIGI CAMS
CAMCORDERS
PHONES / FAXES
VACUUMS
MICROWAVES
IRONS
MAJOR VENTILATION SYSTEMS AND INDUSTRIAL FANS
SHAVERS
SUNBEDS

You name it and they proberly do it ' Technics audio is only a small proportion of there company
which is proberly no biggy to them as it's a billionaire company !

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:01 am

yeah im talking about technics specifically , panasonic has been shrinking the brand for years

they used to be big in digital pianos , they don't make them anymore
their try at a cdj flopped

what i am saying is what has technics been doing for the past 10 years , they should have brought out a cdj type model 10 years ago , not waited until 2006 when pioneer were already standard.as for the mixers why not release more? their website has not been updated for 3 years showing products they no longer produce (the dz-1200 cd turntable and the classic battle mixer).

it really would not surprise me if the rumours were true and technics is being wound down.if they stop making the 1210 TT series then surely the brand must close , they can't solely make the 1200 headphones?

jp72
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by jp72 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Bet no-one's ever used that disc in the top left hand corner!! Isn't it for ex juke box vinyl? Lol...

esq

Post by esq » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:30 am

jp72 wrote:Bet no-one's ever used that disc in the top left hand corner!! Isn't it for ex juke box vinyl? Lol...

Mine gets used quite a bit, I have hundreds of 45s from the early 1980s that my son and wife love to play. Adam Ant, Bow Wow Wow, Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran type stuff.

Trying to mix human-drummed eighties tunes on 7" is a bit challenging, but surprisingly fun.

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:22 am

Elusive wrote:I think they should stop making MKII's personally,
all the later models improved on them so there is no need for so many models on sale anymore
So you see why Panasonic have decided to stop making those models
if you take off the rose tinted glasses for a second you can see that
The limitations of MKII's is why i switched to Vestax decks,
they didn't have MK5's for sale back then, or i would have bought them instead :lol:
No, but I would almost be sure that the MK III's were about then and they had all the necessary improvements made IMHO. Got mine in '99, when did you get your Vestax's? BTW; I'm not a Vestax/Numark etc.. hater, I've used the Vestax turntables and they're decent enough.

Nokka
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Nokka » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:44 pm

i DONT KNOW WHAT ALL THE FUSS IS ABOUT...iVE GOT MY mk5'S AND THEY WILL LAST ME A LIFETIME SO IM HAPPY. TO THE ORIGINAL CREW WHO STILL USE EM THEY WILL KEEP THE FIRE BURNING..GOT ME TUNES GOT ME DECKS...END OF

ooops sorry about the caps lock haha