Torrents

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
meatpie48
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Torrents

Post by meatpie48 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 pm

This has probably been done a million times already but I'm new to all this Torrents nonsense & I haven't got the foggiest?

What do you use, whats the best? Why was I downloading at half a meg this morning & now 29KBS?

This stuff is all to technical for me I just want to point, right click & save! The only Peers I know about are at the seaside lol!

henryburner
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: Torrents

Post by henryburner » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:43 pm

http://www.bitcomet.com/

Speed has to do with how much people seeding the data at the moment (correct me if Im wrong).

meatpie48
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by meatpie48 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:23 pm

what the fook is seeding.? I am totally in the dark about all this!

prollocks
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by prollocks » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:51 pm

esq
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by esq » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:12 pm

You are much better off getting a rapidshare account, then either go to forumw.org or just do a Google search for "whateveritisyouwant +rapidshare".

Well worth the money, no worries about having to use Peer Guardian etc. and zero chance of MPAA/RIAA bullshit.

meatpie48
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by meatpie48 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:16 pm

thats what I'm using at the moment DD. It's a bit tempremental lol!

The D/L speed is sooooooo variable. ! minute ago it was at 223kB/S now its at 39!!!!!
This morning it was blasting along at 400/s & I got 40% of a 6gB file downloaded. Now it terrible!!!! AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH its driving me mental!

milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:18 am

I'm another one who can vouch for uTorrent - http://www.utorrent.com/

A torrent is like a swarm. The download (i.e. the file/s you want) are split into little chunks or 'packets'. These packets are copied and shared between everyone in the swarm. So everyone in the swarm is downloading from each other but they're also uploading to each other at the same time (or at least they should be).

The more people or 'peers' in the swarm the better and the more people who've got all the packets i.e. 100% of the download the better. More people and more people with 100% means more people uploading (these are called seeders) which means faster downloads for you.

You will see the completed percentage of your download go up as you receive more and more packets until it reaches 100% at which point you've got all the packets and your download is complete. At this point it's etiquette to keep on uploading (seeding) until your share ratio reaches at least 1.0. Nobody will know if you choose not to but when you reach a share ratio of 1.0 you have uploaded as much as you've downloaded so you've done your job to keep the swarm going. You can keep on uploading (seeding) beyond this point if you want, if you've got unlimited broadband and your PC is switched on there's no reason not to - it doesn't cost you anything and it helps to keep the torrent (swarm) going.

Inconsistent speeds could be one of two things. It could that the torrent your downloading doesn't have many peers (other people sharing it), when this happens the speed can go up and down depending on how many people there are sharing the torrent at any one time. The other possibility is that if you're using a router and you don't have your uTorrent port forwarded it could slow down or prevent connections. In uTorrent go to Options > Preferences > Connection and find the number in 'Port used for incoming connections', it's usually 13377 but might be a different number. If your using a router you can set up port forwarding by going into the admin panel and set up port forwarding for port number 13377. You might also need to set-up a static ip address before you do the port forwarding. Those two things aren't always necessary but they might help to speed up your downloads.

Port forwarding - http://www.portforward.com/
Static IP address - http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:38 am

Oh yeah. The other reason you might be getting inconsistent speeds is because your ISP might use traffic shaping. Some ISP's limit the bandwidth you can use for peer to peer applications during peak time.

Simply put that can mean slower torrent downloads/uploads during peak times - it depends which ISP you use, some traffic shape, some don't.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:29 am

meatpie48 wrote:thats what I'm using at the moment DD. It's a bit tempremental lol!

The D/L speed is sooooooo variable. ! minute ago it was at 223kB/S now its at 39!!!!!
This morning it was blasting along at 400/s & I got 40% of a 6gB file downloaded. Now it terrible!!!! AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH its driving me mental!
That might be an ISP issue as opposed to software.

BT traffic shape the fuck out out of me during the day but I get decent speeds at night.

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:12 am

i get 350-400 download speeds via utorrent for TV shows and stuff like that where there are many seeds. However, i do have a decent ISP with no shaping.

jaz

Post by jaz » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:54 am

I'll use torrents as a last resort, but my preferred download would be from Rapidshare & Usenet.
With those I can normally max out my connection, for example a 700mb film takes only 7 minutes to download off Usenet.
Both of these are pay options though unless your lucky, I have been given a free Rapidshare account though & my ISP gives free Usenet acsess.

warpedcore
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by warpedcore » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:51 am

all about the utorrent get up to 1m download speeds on it can download a 700mb film in 20 mins or less sometimes

Nokka
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Nokka » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:11 pm

I only use Utorrent...its not only fast its safer than other torrent engine i.e. limewire..

I then use isohunt to find the available torrents and dont forget to check the user comments for a safe link...More seeds the better as everyone has stated...also if you use utorrent you can alocate how much bandwidth to the dowload which in turn increases the speed..one big tip is to close eveyohter net draining tools off for a much quicker download..Oh and dont get caught...i try not to use it too much and i gernaerally delete a torrent from the seeders menu when ive finished.

J3D

Post by J3D » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:29 pm

limewire is a P2P java based client Nokka btw not a Torrent client.
both of them are out dated now and wriggled with crap. [malware/viruses]

buy a rapidshare account costs a couple of quid
use a download manager and then search rapidshare blog spots.

you dont have to buy a rapidshare account if your that much of a leech
but the free option is slow and very time consuming.