Cycling

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Cycling

Post by Double Drop » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:10 pm

Anyone here go out cycling?

The brother-in-law gave me his old bike on Sunday (Raleigh Max Lite FS1) and I've been going out for a little ride every night since. Only been going out for a couple of miles as I'm desperately unfit and haven't ridden a bike in twenty years.

I'm going to gradually build up the distance over a couple of weeks until I'm doing a reasonable time and distance.

Hopefully get some of this belly off in time for the summer.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: Cycling

Post by jonny » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Not in a few years but i used to really enjoy cycling a few years back and it is good for you, i go to the gym and play 5 a side occasionaly so keep fit.

andrew
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by andrew » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:08 am

Yeah I started riding to work (most days) last August; generally cover about fifty miles per week. I highly recommend it!

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:27 am

When i go to the gym i'll do five miles every night (mon-fri)

And when the good weather is here me & a friend go out on our bikes & hit the canals for a few hours , generaly covering about 16-20 miles .... absolute killer it is , espesh when it's a warm night & you have already done a full day's work !

used to ride to work (about six miles there & back) but my bike is pretty neglected at the moment ! haha

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by DJ_Nik_Gnashers » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm

I been biking to work for years and always been into bikes since the bmx days.
Nothing quite as nice as biking through woods in the summer, you cans top wherever you want to skin up (if thats your thing), plus is so peaceful compared to a driving.
I have been a driver as regards my job for most of my adult life, so I guess I love to bike places coz im so sick of being behind the wheel of a van.
Its a great way to lose weight, also excersizes your cardio-vascular bits (heart, lungs, etc).
Current bike is a cannondale m300 about 16 years old but still lighter than most new bikes, am considering buying a new one this year though, maybe a specialized rockhopper comp......

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Yeah. Got my bike around this time last year, perhaps a bit later.

I use it mostly to keep fit although I like going for bike rides just for something nice to spend an afternoon/evening doing. Unfortunately I recently fell out with my cycling partner, so I just go for burns round the park that's close to me now.

Took it slow to start - just one lap round the park (about 6km including getting to and from the park), and gradually started pushing myself more. So now I do two laps (11km), and try and get the best time I can. Just beat my best ever time yesterday, by nearly a whole minute - 28.59! :D

samuel
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by samuel » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:28 pm

I cycle the whole summertime through. But in these weather conditions we have here in north I usually start in April/May and cycle only 'til August/September.

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:03 pm

can't beat the bike. I used to go out and hit 25 miles a night no problems, did it all summer and was well fit by the end. Not able to do that so much now with a kid, so do the running instead.

Always prefered a racing bike though myself.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Just been out before I lost the light.

3.13 miles according to Google Maps (I've got Sports Tracker on my N95 but it lost GPS about halfway round) and it took me 25:18 minutes including the time it took to give directions to someone to the train station. :lol:

Furthest I've been so far and I can definitely feel it in my legs.

Hoping to hit 4 miles on tomorrow's go.

I've never really been into exercise in any way, shape or form. Other than competing as an amateur paintballer some years ago I've not done any exercise since leaving school. I know that's the reason I'm a fat fuck. :lol: But I can really see myself getting into cycling in a big way and hopefully that will get this belly off of me, not in time for this summer obviously but maybe in time for next year, who knows.

J3D
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by J3D » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 pm

used to do 12 miles to and from work
but got lazy and bought a motorbike instead !

just couldn't be arsed with full on head winds for the full journey

jaz

Post by jaz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm really, really into cycling. I'll spend most days off on my bikes & go out an evening or two a week riding with friends.
I have two bikes right now, a custom BMX (£8-900) & a seriously awesome rigid custom spec MTB (£2500+).
At the moment (I constantly upgrade things you see) it weighs 20.02lbs so about 100 grams before I hit my 'below 9kg' goal.
Then I'll go for 19lb with a wheel set upgrade, that's the sort of weight bike money no object, prototype parts, world champ riders use, but they will have suspension which I don't.

Cycling is great for your weight & the reason I still have a 30" waist & weigh 10 stone.
Once you start getting a bit fitter you'll find you get faster & faster. I'll say start to try & push yourself whilst on the bike as I don't think just riding within your limits will burn of that much fat. I enjoy riding hills or pushing hard on the flat, you want to get to that point where you feel as if your about to run out of energy & push through it. Once you do that you find you can hit another level & get renewed energy & fitness benefits.

It's more than possible for you to reach your goal of losing your belly if your willing to stick at it. I read a thread on bikeradar where a big fat bloke who would struggle walking up stairs without getting out of breath started cycling. He has lost loads of weight & even manages distances I think I'd have trouble with, so it's easily doable if you give it some commitment.

If in the future you feel your bikes holding you back (you do get what you pay for with bikes & tbh that Raleighs a bit of a dog) then get a new bike on the governments cycle2work scheme, you can spend up to £1000 & get around 40% off as the money is taken out of your wages before national insurance & tax is taken out.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:14 pm

JAZ wrote:Cycling is great for your weight & the reason I still have a 30" waist & weigh 10 stone. Once you start getting a bit fitter you'll find you get faster & faster. I'll say start to try & push yourself whilst on the bike as I don't think just riding within your limits will burn of that much fat. I enjoy riding hills or pushing hard on the flat, you want to get to that point where you feel as if your about to run out of energy & push through it. Once you do that you find you can hit another level & get renewed energy & fitness benefits.

It's more than possible for you to reach your goal of losing your belly if your willing to stick at it. I read a thread on bikeradar where a big fat bloke who would struggle walking up stairs without getting out of breath started cycling. He has lost loads of weight & even manages distances I think I'd have trouble with, so it's easily doable if you give it some commitment.
I've not had the bike a week yet but it's my intention to build up my distance over time. I've been out once today already (3.6 miles) and hopefully I'll get out again this evening!
JAZ wrote:If in the future you feel your bikes holding you back (you do get what you pay for with bikes & tbh that Raleighs a bit of a dog) then get a new bike on the governments cycle2work scheme, you can spend up to £1000 & get around 40% off as the money is taken out of your wages before national insurance & tax is taken out.
My employer, despite being a government department, doesn't run the Cycle2Work scheme. : :evil:

Rather pissed off with that, especially as my brother's employer is one of our agencies and they do run it.

jaz

Post by jaz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:46 pm

That's terrible they won't do the c2w as it really takes zero effort to set it up. Who ever does the human resources only has to register & that's about it, the department saves money as well because they pay less national insurance for you & anyone else who takes advantage of the scheme.
I'd complain to someone higher up if I was you.

Good luck with your cycling, you are right start small & build up. I'd expect you'll be amazed at how much further you can go after a while.
Just try & be a good cyclist & obey the rules of the road. I constantly get annoyed at poor cyclists who undertake cars & buses, don't look at whats around them & run red lights or hassle pedestrians. Most of them don't save any time as I'll overtake them 100m down the road anyway.
Also bear in mind there are car drivers who don't give a shit about you & will cut you up, drive at you or put your life at risk to move only a few metres up the road in a jam. So ride confidently so they think your not going to do anything unpredictable & assume every car driver hasn't seen you. I tend to just use the same amount of road as if I was in a car in slower traffic & move over to the kerb only when I'm holding a car up, if I'm going to move out or turn right I'll always eyeball any driver who could hit me.

Bike maintenance on all bikes (especially cheaper ones with poor brakes) is very important as well. I work as a cycle mechanic & work on so many bikes that are death traps it's untrue, the amount I get in that are filthy/rusty & have inadequate brakes just amazes me.
You can either do it yourself (read the setup guides on Park Tools or get a good book like Zen & the art of bike maintenance) or get a local bike shop to do it (labour can be expensive though)or if your lucky to have a decent Halfords near you they do a bike care plan (£15 for a years worth of labour).

DFTRF5DF
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by DFTRF5DF » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Double Drop wrote:I've never really been into exercise in any way, shape or form. Other than competing as an amateur paintballer some years ago I've not done any exercise since leaving school.
blimey

and there was me thinking that u used to be in the army

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:32 pm

JAZ wrote:That's terrible they won't do the c2w as it really takes zero effort to set it up. Who ever does the human resources only has to register & that's about it, the department saves money as well because they pay less national insurance for you & anyone else who takes advantage of the scheme.
I'd complain to someone higher up if I was you.
Nah, that's come from the top. No chance of getting it introduced.
JAZ wrote:Good luck with your cycling, you are right start small & build up. I'd expect you'll be amazed at how much further you can go after a while.
Just try & be a good cyclist & obey the rules of the road. I constantly get annoyed at poor cyclists who undertake cars & buses, don't look at whats around them & run red lights or hassle pedestrians. Most of them don't save any time as I'll overtake them 100m down the road anyway.
Also bear in mind there are car drivers who don't give a shit about you & will cut you up, drive at you or put your life at risk to move only a few metres up the road in a jam. So ride confidently so they think your not going to do anything unpredictable & assume every car driver hasn't seen you. I tend to just use the same amount of road as if I was in a car in slower traffic & move over to the kerb only when I'm holding a car up, if I'm going to move out or turn right I'll always eyeball any driver who could hit me.

Bike maintenance on all bikes (especially cheaper ones with poor brakes) is very important as well. I work as a cycle mechanic & work on so many bikes that are death traps it's untrue, the amount I get in that are filthy/rusty & have inadequate brakes just amazes me.
You can either do it yourself (read the setup guides on Park Tools or get a good book like Zen & the art of bike maintenance) or get a local bike shop to do it (labour can be expensive though)or if your lucky to have a decent Halfords near you they do a bike care plan (£15 for a years worth of labour).
Cheers for the advice, I'll take a look on Park Tools as well. 8)
DFTRF5DF wrote:
Double Drop wrote:I've never really been into exercise in any way, shape or form. Other than competing as an amateur paintballer some years ago I've not done any exercise since leaving school.
blimey

and there was me thinking that u used to be in the army
I was in the Cubs... :lol: