PC Help

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

PC Help

Post by jonny » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Hoping someone can help here,the clock on my laptop after a few days always seems to slow down and i have to manually fix the time, ive looked into the settings but cant seem to see anything that can fix this problem,cant understand why this is happening surely if it's set to a time it should stay at that time,it's not as if i have to wind it up or anything :lol:

Markymark
He never locked his car door

Re: PC Help

Post by Markymark » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:25 pm

sounds like your CMOS battery is running out. how long have you had your laptop?

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:33 pm

markymark wrote:sounds like your CMOS battery is running out. how long have you had your laptop?

Since summer 2007 but i only bought a new 9 cell battery last summer for this but i have noticed that the battery has been getting quite hot at times over the last while.

Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Double Drop » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 pm

The CMOS battery is a little round one that sits in your mobo and keeps the CMOS running even when the laptop is off. ;)

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Oh right i thought he was referring to the actual battery itself, it's not majorly important if it cant be solved as i do plan on getting a new laptop sometime this year hopefully.

Markymark

Post by Markymark » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 pm

jonny wrote:
markymark wrote:sounds like your CMOS battery is running out. how long have you had your laptop?

Since summer 2007 but i only bought a new 9 cell battery last summer for this but i have noticed that the battery has been getting quite hot at times over the last while.
the CMOS battery is a tiny little thing about the size of a 5 pence piece, its attached to the motherboard. not sure how you'd open up a laptop ive never had one. its nothing to do with a battery that powers the laptop, it runs even when the laptop is switched off.

dont mess with it if you aint sure, im sure somebody else will have more info on this than me. but thats what it sounds like to me

fannypad
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by fannypad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:34 am

As a relatively simple short-term fix you can set Windows to synchronise with a time server daily, this will force it to connect to the net and set the correct time every 24 hours.

Press the Windows key and letter R, type "regedit" into the Run box and press enter.

Browse to the following registry tree in the left hand pane: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\w32time\TimeProviders\NtpClient

In the right hand pane, double click the SpecialPollInterval key

Set the value to 86400 and the base to Decimal, click OK and close Regedit

Press Windows key + R again, type "cmd" into the Run box and press enter

Type "net stop w32time" into the command prompt, press enter, then type "net start w32time", press enter again

Send me a pm if you get stuck.