Broadband Recommendations

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
livvy
He never locked his car door

Re: Broadband Recommendations

Post by livvy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Ive never had that prob, as I dont download that much, Im upping sets but they say that dont count, and my connection is alway just under 20mg day in day out whatever time

meatpie48
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by meatpie48 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 pm

apart from Tiscali being shit on the customer service front & their homepage they're not too bad. I've heard a company called Be.com is meant to be very good. Unlimited download & up to 16Mb connection depending on how far you are from the exchange. Last time I checked they were £35 for the top package.

bentley
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by bentley » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:35 pm

think its a lottery but for the past four years ive been with with sky
tv package and internet never had a problem with either yet, i think 4 years
without any complaints is pretty good going ...im sure others will prolly slate em !!

milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:38 pm

Elusive wrote: So who do you recommend to go to, i think we have a BT line so it shouldn't be a problem
I've used Bethere at three different addresses and they've been top notch. upto 24meg down, 1.2meg up, no traffic shaping and good customer service.

From £13.50 a month - https://www.bethere.co.uk/

A little tip, try and find out what speed your line can handle, this site might help - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php . If you do decide to go with Be and your line can't handle more than 8mb then it's worth going for the Be Value package. It's cheaper and the upload speed will be the same.

Sir Captinweestain
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Sir Captinweestain » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:02 pm

Check out sky mate, they use BT
and you get a wireless router free

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 pm

got myself a business line with UKFSN, one of Entanets resellers.

I get no packet loss, nearly 7MB of an 8MB connection. No dropouts, no loss of service, no trafic shaping on torrents.

£28 a month here : http://www.ukfsn.org/

Check out and compare ISPs here first though m8 :

http://www.adslguide.org

Just did a quick compare with Virgin & you can see that BE, Entanet & Zen are all way above Virgin.

Zen are the best, but you pay for it.

Dan J
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Dan J » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 pm

I think Be and O2 are basically the same thing . .I use O2 . .£10 a month, 16meg D/L - although I get 12 . .it's cheap if u have an O2 mobile as u get a discount. Always quick and great customer sevice

jon99
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by jon99 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:47 pm

Elusive wrote:It's time to fuck off virgin media

I spoke to them today & they said because i download loads that is why my connection is slow at night
as far as i know they do this to everyone in the evenings
From 5-10 yesterday & tonight i've not even been able to do basic internet surfing
When i spoke to them they said all ISP's do this to heavy downloaders, i'm pretty sure this is a blatant lie
Its never had any effect whatsoever on basic web stuff (browsing, email), I haven't even noticed it slowing down my torrent traffic - that seems to be limited by external factors. If it is preventing you from surfing with nothing else running (ie no torrent traffic) then something is wrong despite what they may be telling you.

I did have to limit the peers in my bit torrent software to 100, or everything would grind to a standstill.

Even if they are slowing you down you should still be getting at least 25% of your normal speed, which on their lowest 10mb plan is still pretty fast. They've just upgraded all their plans to remove the 2mb, so maybe upgrading to 20mb (if you're not already on it) is worth some thought.

You want to check the small print if you switch. A lot of broadband providers advertise their maximum speed which you won't get if you're not close to the exchange or if they don't have equipment in your exchange. Other ISPs normally have a higher sharing ratio (more people sharing the same connection equals lower speeds) than Virgin.

Virgin can be a bunch of wankers but their broadband is one of the best out there. Does anyone else offer 50mb broadband for £35 a month? You'll get the full 50mb as well (when they're not limiting you).

jon99
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by jon99 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:08 am

Elusive wrote:
jon99 wrote:If it is preventing you from surfing with nothing else running (ie no torrent traffic) then something is wrong despite what they may be telling you.
Yeah i'm talking no connection at all, i can't even open MSN without it failing
I know they are limiting me because its exactly the same time every night, around 10/11 the connection goes back to full strength
There is no point in using virgin media if its limited at the time i need the net the most..I.E between 5-10 every evening
I thought they just cut you down to 25% or so of normal capacity if you hit a certain limit but....I just read something that says if you're in their top 5% of downloaders you go down to 512k and even worse if you're in the top 2% (something like 80k I think). Though I've also read something else saying they'll be changing how they do it again soon.

What the fuck are you downloading and how much of it?

Have you run speed checks to see what you're actually getting?

dj rizzla

Post by dj rizzla » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:08 am

Yeah i'm with SKY too. No probs at all.

Think i pay a fiver a month. Download shitloads, films in a about 25 mins. Surfing doesnt slow down at all when torrents are downloading.

;)

fannypad

Post by fannypad » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Bethere.co.uk

Absolutely flawless in every aspect, and you get to talk to sultry Russian girls on their freephone support line if anything does go tits up.

Zen are top notch as well, but as has been said you pay through the nose for the privilege. If I had the cash I'd just get a 100Mb/s leased line.

You had a chance to do that scan yet Dave? ;)

oldskooladdict

Post by oldskooladdict » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:33 pm

fannypad wrote:Bethere.co.uk

Absolutely flawless in every aspect, and you get to talk to sultry Russian girls on their freephone support line if anything does go tits up.

Zen are top notch as well, but as has been said you pay through the nose for the privilege. If I had the cash I'd just get a 100Mb/s leased line.

You had a chance to do that scan yet Dave? ;)
I'm with BE too - also no problems. Go via Quidco.com to sign up too and you get some ££ back too :D

Rob H is on Be too iirc, and lives opposite the exchange so gets silly speeds lol

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:56 pm

I've been on Be for a couple of years now, very good. Constant 500kbps+ even on torrents.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:53 am

I pay 0000000 nada :lol: :lol: i leech Internet from the Bingo hall across the road, generally i get between 1 to 2 MBPS more often 1 but for free you cant complain but it wont last for ever but while it does i aint paying astronomical prices in Ireland for Internet with slow speeds.

dj rizzla

Post by dj rizzla » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:13 am

Have u ever been to the Bingo jonny ?