Broadband Recommendations

Off topic, keep it clean and legal!
Rob H
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Broadband Recommendations

Post by Rob H » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:30 pm

I would deffo recommend Be Unlimted if you can get it in your area.

If not, then go with O2.

A mate of mine didn't live close enough to his exchange to get Be, so he was offered O2 Broadband (Be is owned by O2 anyway).

They'll probably do the same for you.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Does anyone use Plus Net? Been reading good things.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:46 pm

Dj Rizzla wrote:Have u ever been to the Bingo jonny ?
Not a fucking chance will you ever catch me at bingo mate :lol: :lol:

fannypad
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by fannypad » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 pm

Beagle wrote:Does anyone use Plus Net? Been reading good things.
I was with Plusnet since 1997 when they were called Force9, they were the best till about three years ago when everything went a bit queer with the management orchestrating a takeover by BT by implementing draconian traffic shaping methods and actively terminating contracts of heavy downloaders even if they'd paid for the extra bandwidth. They were pioneers of throttling and traffic shaping technology in the UK along with Ellacoya who supplied them with the gear to implement it, and it was this that attracted BT to them in the first place with some saying it had been a cynical ploy by upper execs to sell Plusnet as more of a traffic shaping think-tank at the expense of the users' quality of service all along.

It rapidly went from being one of the best ISP's in the country to a diseased croaking parrot clinging onto BT's arm.

I only bother writing all this shite because I'm bitter about having to move to Bethere and give up my Plusnet referral discounts; at one point I was only paying about £2 a month for their premium package. Cunts.

oz
He never locked his car door

Post by oz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:47 am

I was with BT but as mentioned they were definitely shaping traffic, especially torrents and p2p protocols.
I was paying £15 a month for 2Mbps which was fine then they moved onto ADSL max to provide up to 8Mbps then the line started getting noisy and speed went down to IDSN speed at times which was ridiculous for the price.
Moved over to Sky Broadband basic and for £5 I get a constant 8Mbps.
BT customer service is terrible too since they moved it to Lahore or wherever to save money.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:04 am

chers Fannypad, sounds a no-goer then.

I'm thinking of changing myself. My Virgin copnnection has been slowing right down the last few nights.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:39 am

Right, so I couldn't get online at all last night again - took about 5 minutes for Google to load, so I'm gonna give them a call and probably switch.

Be There seems to be the best option then. On e question - what's the difference between a dynamic and a static ip address? They seem to give you the choice.

earthquake
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by earthquake » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:58 am

I'm with virgin & it has got pretty crap recently!
My problem is I don't have a BT phone-line so Virgin is the only option!!

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:41 am

I feel your pain now, lol.

It's annoying because for the last 4 years they've been brilliant, it's only got bad over the last couple of weeks or so.
But last night was the worst.

Dan J
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Dan J » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Beagle wrote: Be There seems to be the best option then. On e question - what's the difference between a dynamic and a static ip address? They seem to give you the choice.
Dynamic means that Be will assign you a different IP addresss every time you connect. Static means you will be assigned an unchanging IP address, so you will have the same IP every time you connect. You will prob pay extra for static, so don't get it unless u need a static IP for some reason

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:57 pm

It's a free option I think. But what I want to know is what's the benefit of static?

fannypad

Post by fannypad » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:11 pm

Beagle wrote:It's a free option I think. But what I want to know is what's the benefit of static?
Your connection's always in the same "place" on the net, so if you're running a web/mail/FTP/gaming/proxy/VPN server, accessing your files remotely etc the address of your machines will always remain the same even after your connection goes down.

I have a static IP so I can always VNC into my machines remotely as well as streaming music and films to my iphone wherever I am.

livvy

Post by livvy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 pm

19480 kb/s 732 kb/s mine is still fine and has been like that since they fitted the new virgin modem

jon99
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by jon99 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Beagle wrote:It's a free option I think. But what I want to know is what's the benefit of static?
For the connection to your ISP, if you don't know the difference between dynamic and static IP addresses the chances are it really won't matter which you have so I'd just leave it alone.

When it comes to your local network (if you have one) it can make a big difference in certain scenarios - for example if you use P2P torrent networks then you'll most likely need to use a static IP address for port forwarding to ensure maximum transfer speeds.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:34 pm

ah right - nah, I'm not bothered by any of that gubbins. If it makes no difference to online gaming etc. then I'll stick with the default.

Cheers!