Making old warpy sinewave bass

Breaks, Old Skool, Nu Skool. Interested in how it's all done or have advice to offer? Post here
aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Making old warpy sinewave bass

Post by aize » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:01 pm

So, think I might have asked this before, but still trying to perfect the sound i'm after.

I absolutely love the bass on this marvelous cain tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JaarL2pHbA

I'm pretty sure there's a reversed 808 kick in there somewhere, but there's a lot more too it than just that... On its own it sounds wrong, i've got fairly close by putting a heavy low pass filter on it, upping the resonance a little and then layering another sine wave, with a slow attack on top, to thicken it up, but still not there. Wondering what else is going on? A little distortion maybe? My attempts just don't sound as fat.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Re: Making old warpy sinewave bass

Post by renegadegenius » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:58 pm

If you record it & reverse it you'll probably get a better idea.
Not sure if it is an 808 as they usually thump more.
But it does sound like some 'warmth' has been added - possibly in hardware which some software will have a hard time re-producing. Bit like recording to tape at too high a volume. In digital, you get a harsh sound, but on tape, you get a distorted but warm sound.

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Thanks mate. I was afraid of that. Seems like a lot of the things I love about old jungle are down to the analogue equipment used, which makes recreating them really difficult, without a huge budget. Good idea about recording and playing it backwards. I'll try that tomorrow.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by renegadegenius » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:28 pm

aize wrote:Thanks mate. I was afraid of that. Seems like a lot of the things I love about old jungle are down to the analogue equipment used, which makes recreating them really difficult, without a huge budget. Good idea about recording and playing it backwards. I'll try that tomorrow.
There are some nice vst effects out there - just means downloading loads & giving them a go :)
You probably need some sort of Tube/tape saturiser - that might give you the sort of effect you need.

Also some of the old samplers used to be 12bit - there are some 'lofi' type vsts as well which can lower the bit rate or sample rate - this adds a bit of 'grit' to things as well.

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:18 pm

ive actually got an akai s950, so might try putting stuff through that. Getting a lot of background noise on the recordings though, so gotta sort that out, but that's for another thread. Also just downloaded the psp vintage warmer vst, which i've heard good things about, so i'll give that a go.

Was just thinking though, that it might actually be a low passed square wave instead. But not sure, gonna have to do a lot more experimenting tomorrow.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:09 am

It might be a square - when you filter off the top end, the 'squareness' of it starts to curve in.