Anyone recommend a good cheapish CDJ?

Breaks, Old Skool, Nu Skool. Interested in how it's all done or have advice to offer? Post here
Adam Timeless
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Anyone recommend a good cheapish CDJ?

Post by Adam Timeless » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:16 am

Thought its about time to upgrade my set up (Not giving up vinyl - far from it). But have accepted that if I want to play all this wicked new music coming out I gotta add CDJ's to my set up. Did have a CDJ100 many years ago, but sold within a few weeks as I couldn't get on with it! I like the look of them Denon3700/3900's, but am on a tighter budget. Anyone recommend a good cheap CDJ - thats user friendly to a oldskool vinylist ;)
Cheers

leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Anyone recommend a good cheapish CDJ?

Post by leonized » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:56 pm

I've got a pair of Numark CDX's & they are the nuts!

I was lucky & got mine for about £120 as the seller had moved into a new house & found them in the loft, had no idea how they worked or how to check them so sold them as faulty for spares... I took a chance, bought them & after a software update they work like a dream :)

Check eBay periodically & you may pick some up cheap...

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Cheers Leonized. I take you can use them like vinyl with the platter spinning then also use them like a conventional cdj where the platter doesn't move at all? I do the like the look of them (they look like a cheaper alternative to the Denons).

leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by leonized » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:32 pm

The platter is basically a timecoded vinyl??

You can scratch the vinyl & it scratches the track you're playing on the CD perfectly, just like using vinyl but it's playing digital tracks... It's a win/win ;)

The music only plays when you press start & activate the platter, it has effects etc you can use as you play :)

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Thats exactly what I am looking for. I am gonna hunt one (or even 2) down. Does it give you the option of turning off the platter so it doesn't spin and can be used like a jog wheel on a cdj (i.e that will help me practise to use regular cdj's) if that makes sense? cheers

leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by leonized » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 pm

I'm not sure mate... I just use it as a vinyl deck for my digital tracks... But if the platter isn't turning the tunes aren't playing...

I bought some nifty silver vinyls & swapped them with the standard ones because they were smooth & it felt wrong when cueing & scratching, just have to drill 3 holes in the centre of the record & it's an easy conversion :)

I hope you find some, you'll love em :)

leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by leonized » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:44 am