Trying to find Roland U-220 Samples!

Breaks, Old Skool, Nu Skool. Interested in how it's all done or have advice to offer? Post here
sneaksby
New User
New User

Trying to find Roland U-220 Samples!

Post by sneaksby » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi there fellow ravers.

I am wondering if anyone either owns a Roland U-220 or has samples of the soundset, specifically 17. Strings?

http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20U-22 ... trings.mp3

Id absolutely love to get hold of this sound, it was the string sound used by Liam Howlett on a lot of stuff and its the bomb imo

If anyone is able to get hold of this sound i will sort you out with loads of sounds, a couple of quid or what ever you want (within reason).

:) Lets make this happen crew!

rounser
Regular
Regular

Re: Trying to find Roland U-220 Samples!

Post by rounser » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:15 am

I had a U-220 and tried to get that sound out of it without success. Tried chorus, everything. I think that it's a red herring, as the result came nowhere near out of space's spacey strings.

The trick lies in the Roland W-30, I think. It sounds like a "freeze" of said strings ala GRM Tools Freeze or Spectral Monkeyage, both of which can be used to produce rave stabs. You layer about 8-32 copies of the sound at differing start times on top of each other, and the result is a stab drone.

Use the above technique on any old strings, then add chorus, and you should get it.

djdeckz
New User
New User

Re: Trying to find Roland U-220 Samples!

Post by djdeckz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:21 am

Dear Sneaksby,

the module Liam uses for Out of Space is the U220.
I have recently bought one of these old Roland modules to recreate the Prodigy string sound....and......with the right chorus settings.....

Liam's comment on the prodigy info site about the U220:
"I've had that years. That's one of my all-time favourites for strings; the strings on there are a Prodigy trademark! If anyone puts a bit of chorus on those strings, you get the sound from 'Out Of Space' straight away.

Check out my track "MOS of Music" .... I think that the string sound is a close approach to the prodigy string sound...

https://soundcloud.com/djdeckz/mos-of-music

Enjoy!