Page 2 of 2

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:57 am
by dj jedi
Beagle wrote:It hurts me to say it, but digital labels (with the occasional 'special' on wax) are the way forward.
Not from what I've heard - I know for a fact that to get in the top 10 on trackitdown you only need to sell about 20 MP3s of a track! 20 x £1.15 (minus their 40% cut) isn't exactly the way forward IMO :lol:

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:59 am
by dj jedi
Plus, most people are very happy to pre-order tunes these days. Then you don't have to lay out a penny until you're comfortable to. I didn't send Fantazia EP 4 to press until I'd had 50 pre orders because the tracks were quite obscure and I didn't think it would sell. It encourages people to buy it.

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:57 am
by DJ ABO
Is there any particular reason why a lot of out boys are now dominating the breaks charts?Love it! How many on average does a top breaks chart mp3 sell? Pyramid's refix of heaven on soundcloud has now reached 4000+ d/loads...feckin hell!!

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 am
by Beagle
dj jedi wrote:
Beagle wrote:It hurts me to say it, but digital labels (with the occasional 'special' on wax) are the way forward.
Not from what I've heard - I know for a fact that to get in the top 10 on trackitdown you only need to sell about 20 MP3s of a track! 20 x £1.15 (minus their 40% cut) isn't exactly the way forward IMO :lol:

When i say 'way forward' I mean as a way to run a label and release loads of music without bankrupting yourself and ending up with a garage full of wax you can't sell. nobody expects to make money from it these days! :-D

The majority of dance music IS digital these days. The majority of DJs play CDs or use Serato (from what I can gather).

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 am
by dj jedi
You're absolutely right in other genres, but most people into old skool or hardcore breaks definitely prefer to have the tunes on vinyl. Vinyl is on the up, the pressing plant I use say they are the busiest they've been in years :)

I totally appreciate this is a labour of love rather than a money making scheme. But that's not why I want to do it. I've really enjoyed putting out a few records and having good feedback about them, worth more to me than money.

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:42 pm
by Beagle
dj jedi wrote:You're absolutely right in other genres, but most people into old skool or hardcore breaks definitely prefer to have the tunes on vinyl. Vinyl is on the up, the pressing plant I use say they are the busiest they've been in years :)
ah, well that's good news!
dj jedi wrote: I totally appreciate this is a labour of love rather than a money making scheme. But that's not why I want to do it. I've really enjoyed putting out a few records and having good feedback about them, worth more to me than money.

yeah, fair play mate. :)

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:11 pm
by alphawave ep
reguarding vinyl sells i know a record shop which is doing well and still open! although he has to sell all types of music on vinyl he said blues and jazz are big sellers to collectors...

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 am
by soopaslooth
Beagle wrote: When i say 'way forward' I mean as a way to run a label and release loads of music without bankrupting yourself and ending up with a garage full of wax you can't sell. nobody expects to make money from it these days! :-D

The majority of dance music IS digital these days. The majority of DJs play CDs or use Serato (from what I can gather).
I think this is it really - the reality is that, outside the niche oldskool market (where people are still interested in the original vinyls, and therefore represses and oldskool style HCB tunes to play alongside them), dance music doesn't really exist on vinyl any more. Sure there are a few exceptions, a few novelty releases and a few examples you can point to of a tune that's randomly sold a hundred or a few hundred copies on vinyl, but for 99% of people buying, playing out and listening at home to dance music, digital is the only format. There are very few vinyl shops, distributors, djs, etc etc. The infrastructure just isn't there in the way it used to be.

Its a real shame but its just the way things are. Of course, as has been pointed out, digital sales haven't exactly filled the gap left by vinyl, in fact they're completely pathetic for your average independent release. But it doesn't change the fact that the vinyl thing just doesn't really work anymore from the point of view of a label. The one exception I guess is if you are looking to put out music that is 100% orientated at the oldskool market, and that will be bought by people who buy original oldskool vinyl. Which I guess is what a lot of the guys on here would do, and is why the Sublogic/Fantazia etc release do ok.

But in terms of "giving HCB another go", the only way we could really do that would be to tap into the big buzz currently around ravey/oldskool influences in modern music. By that I mean the future jungle stuff, the tearout breaks with rave sounds, etc. Otherwise it might just be people on this forum selling 30 copies of a release to other people on this forum. But this new music is all stuff that definitely does not exist on vinyl as far as I know, and a lot of the people listening to it and playing it outside our little scene just don't do vinyl. Which to me suggests that the way forward for hcb labels has to be digital, if only in terms of getting the music to a place where it might be heard more widely.

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:15 pm
by Adam Timeless
Elusive9T2 wrote:Do labels actually sell any of their music though? I'd be interested to see the numbers
My understanding of most digital DJ's is they don't buy any music & they want it all for free
That seems to be the general consensus. Everytime I look on Facebook you see people scrounging for MP3's or bragging about however many gigs of ''MPFREEs' they've bagged off Limewire etc. Theres no pride anymore. Its different if your sharing old whites that were limited to a few hundred copies and sold out of a car boot in 91. But people are doing it with new music. Plus there is more shit floating about now whereas when people had to put their hands in their pockets and press it themselves if they couldn't get signed so there was a bit more quality control/ pride.
Elusive9T2 wrote:Ninety Two isn't dead BTW, I'm working on some new stuff right now
and Retro will still be releasing something in the future
Glad to hear it matey :)

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:24 pm
by DJ ABO
I spend about 20-25 quid a month on individual mp3's and I play a lot of the freebies that dj's give away too.

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:38 pm
by DJ ABO
The rest of my wages goes on your mum Dave :lol: no offence taken dude!

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:29 pm
by dubplate records
soopaslooth wrote:
Beagle wrote: When i say 'way forward' I mean as a way to run a label and release loads of music without bankrupting yourself and ending up with a garage full of wax you can't sell. nobody expects to make money from it these days! :-D

The majority of dance music IS digital these days. The majority of DJs play CDs or use Serato (from what I can gather).
I think this is it really - the reality is that, outside the niche oldskool market (where people are still interested in the original vinyls, and therefore represses and oldskool style HCB tunes to play alongside them), dance music doesn't really exist on vinyl any more. Sure there are a few exceptions, a few novelty releases and a few examples you can point to of a tune that's randomly sold a hundred or a few hundred copies on vinyl, but for 99% of people buying, playing out and listening at home to dance music, digital is the only format. There are very few vinyl shops, distributors, djs, etc etc. The infrastructure just isn't there in the way it used to be.

Its a real shame but its just the way things are. Of course, as has been pointed out, digital sales haven't exactly filled the gap left by vinyl, in fact they're completely pathetic for your average independent release. But it doesn't change the fact that the vinyl thing just doesn't really work anymore from the point of view of a label. The one exception I guess is if you are looking to put out music that is 100% orientated at the oldskool market, and that will be bought by people who buy original oldskool vinyl. Which I guess is what a lot of the guys on here would do, and is why the Sublogic/Fantazia etc release do ok.

But in terms of "giving HCB another go", the only way we could really do that would be to tap into the big buzz currently around ravey/oldskool influences in modern music. By that I mean the future jungle stuff, the tearout breaks with rave sounds, etc. Otherwise it might just be people on this forum selling 30 copies of a release to other people on this forum. But this new music is all stuff that definitely does not exist on vinyl as far as I know, and a lot of the people listening to it and playing it outside our little scene just don't do vinyl. Which to me suggests that the way forward for hcb labels has to be digital, if only in terms of getting the music to a place where it might be heard more widely.
Dunno where my post went?!?
But agree with the SoopaSlooth :D
What he said ;)

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:33 pm
by nee
Hi all!

Enormous Mouse pretty much died of natural causes, due to Stu and i moving to the other side of planet earth! I'm pretty sure that if we were still in the UK now, we'd still be running the label today. Not to say there'll never be another EM release in digital form though.
Stu's still writing loads on the Australian "Anomaly" label with Jono (Kranky) and i'm still very much in contact with him.
I've not written much at all since i emigrated back in 2007. I knew it would happen, hence why i hammered it out in 2006 / 2007 before i left. It's a totally different scene here, and as it's so far away from the UK it becomes hard to keep up to date with what's current or relevant.
I don't regret emigrating at all, as it was the best thing we could have done for our family, but i miss being part of the whole Hardcore Breaks thing like you wouldn't believe, and obviously the whole EM Records stuff....the pressings at Rand in Germany, and having half of them turn up warped...lol....cutting out 500 sets of labels by hand, and sticking them onto the tunes....etc etc...happy days that i'll always look back on!!
I guess my main barrier is that i thrived on being able to play my (and others) music out to a live crowd, be it a dj booking or internet radio...and that then drove me to write more music to play out etc..it was a neverending cycle! But dj gigs here for HB are non existent...which then sort of "broke the cycle" for me, and thus the spark disappeared. :(
I've just started getting back into doing internet radio, so im hoping that'll kick me up the arse to start writing stuff again, as i still love the HB sound, and deffo believe it has a lot of life left in it yet!

Ooops.....i kinda waffled on there!!! hahaha

all the best :)

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:38 pm
by DJ ABO
Good read that nee! Get back on it mate!

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:44 pm
by gaffer
DJ ABO wrote:Good read that nee! Get back on it mate!
seconded, we miss you neeeee!!