Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Breaks, Old Skool, Nu Skool. Interested in how it's all done or have advice to offer? Post here
dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:29 am

I was just having a think about labels that have come and gone over the last 10 years:

Repeat Offender
Ninety Two
Hard Bioled
2 Fresh
Bat Beat
Enormous mouse
Mert Wax
Good Gosh
KFA
2FX
JSA
HWND
Nu Basement
Hardcore Projektz
Warehouse Wax
B2VOS
Bassquake
Underground Feeling
GAD (Alieneye)
Junki Munki

I'm sure there's some I've missed, but that's a decent list! Surely if all these labels were putting out a record every couple of month, that would be enough releases to get people interested again?

So where are all these people, and is it worth trying to give hardcore breaks another go?

DJ ABO
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: Hardcore Breaks labels - where are they now...

Post by DJ ABO » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:12 pm

ez edd, see you a week sunday...bring the fit blonde!! :lol:

whw being relaunched with nuff releases in the next few weeks

hpz new vinyl just out this week and double pack to follow

kfa have regular digital releases but not much vinyl

repeat offenders have had a bit of a summer break but have a release penned in on vinyl

eyeski has made tons of new tunes but unreleased at present

hwnd - fav has just bought a load of studio equipment so watch this space

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Haha I'll see what I can do ;) That's all sounding promising! Basically I've just released one record and am up for doing more, but it's not worth it if there's only one label :lol: Without 10+ labels releasing tunes there is no scene...

DJ ABO

Post by DJ ABO » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:49 pm

I think things are on the up mate, especially as more breaks producers are now doing stuff with a similar energy to hardcore breaks!

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:52 pm

It's all about the cost.

Everyone's fairly skint otherwise I'd put more out on vinyl.

As you know, we put out a vinyl on Paranoid but only shifted about half of them so far so not even covered costs.
Even putting out things on cd costs a fair bit, but that's the main route we're taking now.

Only things that sell really well are the re-releases / unreleased / remake stuff.
Sold those Acen/Classified vinyl within a couple of weeks.

Other problem is distribution - selling via the forums is all well and good for the regulars, but that doesn't add up to that many sales (not enough to cover costs).
Darkus does have a shop now & has sold some for us which has been great, but if you're only pressing up 100-150 copies, it can cost around £4 a copy to produce!
Most distributors won't pay you more than £2 for a 12" as they need to make their cut as well.
If you press 300 copies, cost's per unit go down, but then you've got to shift 300 copies - in this day and age you haven't got a chance.

teknotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by teknotik » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:12 pm

I personally grew bored buying and storing vinyl. All my records and my decks are at my parents house 50 miles away. I just don't have anywhere to put it all! I think people seem a bit fixated on vinyl (I know I was for a long while), but if you really want to make a go of things, surely the time to go digital has come?

The hardcore breaks sound also changed too much for my liking. I've liked a few of the "future jungle" type tunes I've heard recently, but a lot of hardcore breaks seemed to be going too far away from being "ravey" if that makes any sense! I did start really getting into dubstep as well, but I'm getting a bit bored of that now too.

I've probably missed loads of really good tunes over the last couple of years just by being lazy.

eyeski
Regular
Regular

Post by eyeski » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:39 pm

i've got enough music finished to do around '6 four track EP's. if i could sell the first vinyl well enough to do the others i'd do it in a heartbeat. saying that, it's all 94 happy hardcore piano stuff, so that maybe another thing going against it, haha.

however if i wasn't such a mental, skint sod, i'd do a 4 tracker for a laugh. i need about £600 to do it. i thought about selling my technics, but i bring myself to do it. i've sold anything else of value over the years just to live.

if we do make another effort at hardcore, can we please do some 94/95 party music?? :lol: \:D/

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Unfortunately I've had to spend the last few years " doing what normal people do"

JSA is not dead.... It's defiantly sleeping. Plus there was a 5 year break from JSA 001 to JSA 002 :-)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:26 am

I totally appreciate that costs have gone up and the market has decreased, so it's got to be a case of doing what works. Runs of more than 100 copies don't seem to make sense any more, but on the plus side people seem to be willing to pay more for vinyl now, and 100 copies isn't THAT difficult to sell yourself. Cutting out distributors as much as possible will triple your takings.

I worked out on my Jedi EP that charging £6.99, I had to sell 60 to break even. I've sold 30 through pre-orders, and to be honest if I have to sell the rest slowly myself or through distributors I should be able to make MOST of my money back. Start small and work up - you don't HAVE to have colour labels/sleeves and do 250 copies. Go with whatever will be the most cost effective. Most people seem to prefer white labels anyway.

There are definitely people out there buying vinyl, Will has sold 250 of each Sublogic record and I've had no problem shifting over 100 of each Fantazia record. So again it's a case of making what people want - if a bootleg of a big tune on there helps sell it, put one on there with 3 other original tracks! Or use proceeds from more popular releases to put another out (again what I've done.)

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:24 am

dj jedi wrote: I worked out on my Jedi EP that charging £6.99, I had to sell 60 to break even.
Where did you get it pressed?
I saw you mention Lawrie in another thread (which I thought would be curved) but their prices for a 3 tracker 100 white labels is £525 with a bit extra for a 4th track (in cash).
£6.99 x 60 = £419.40

I personally can't risk spending even that sort of money on a vinyl to be honest, but would be interesting to know who's a bit cheaper.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 am

No I am using Curved, it's £474 for 100 white labels, no extra for the 4th track. I believe the extra charge is only if they're 25 minute long epic house tracks :lol: They haven't charged me any extra on the last 3 releases. Thr price above is assuming you collect them yourself and pay cash.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 am

dj jedi wrote:No I am using Curved, it's £474 for 100 white labels, no extra for the 4th track. I believe the extra charge is only if they're 25 minute long epic house tracks :lol: They haven't charged me any extra on the last 3 releases. Thr price above is assuming you collect them yourself and pay cash.
They've put their prices up since that £474 (on their site anyway). When I asked them the other week about a 4th track they said it'd be about £25-30 extra for another track.
Oh well, either way still can't afford to risk that amount anyway.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 am

Yes you're right, just looked at the site and they have upped all the prices. I think I'll just pretend I haven't seen it next time :lol:

I've never seen it as risking £500. You're never going to sell none of them - even if you sell 20, which is a piece of cake, that's a third of the cost covered. I know you said you 'only' sold 50 of your last EP, but I think that's quite good going. You still have 50 left which will trickle out over time from Discogs or distributors. And even if you haven't made all your money back, you can't be that much down surely?

I think playing it safe is key if money is a worry. You must have done quite well out of that Acen one.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:34 am

dj jedi wrote: I've never seen it as risking £500. You're never going to sell none of them - even if you sell 20, which is a piece of cake, that's a third of the cost covered. I know you said you 'only' sold 50 of your last EP, but I think that's quite good going. You still have 50 left which will trickle out over time from Discogs or distributors. And even if you haven't made all your money back, you can't be that much down surely?

I think playing it safe is key if money is a worry. You must have done quite well out of that Acen one.
All depends doesn't it - had issues at work (due to the old parent company it belonged to not getting paid for a big job & went bust) - our shop has had to basically begin again from scratch so had to take a pay cut to make sure I still have a job. All picking up again, but money was tight as it was.
Plus have a family as well, so little'n comes first - not going to risk £500+ on keeping 20-30 people happy with a vinyl release.

The acen one did sell, but half that went to eyeski & the rest to get pc bits like a new hard-drive to replace the failed one / printer for the paranoid stuff.

All 3 of us put in for Simons vinyl, so we're all out of pocket by around £100 each still.

As much as I like vinyl, I can't risk loosing out again.
Only thing I would risk would be on something I know will sell out very quickly.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:54 am

It hurts me to say it, but digital labels (with the occasional 'special' on wax) are the way forward.