Which sequencers did the oldskool pioneers use?

Breaks, Old Skool, Nu Skool. Interested in how it's all done or have advice to offer? Post here
tha liquid
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: Which sequencers did the oldskool pioneers use?

Post by tha liquid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:54 pm

I totally apologise for getting your hopes up. I've never really played this .MOD and after playing it before uploading it i'm pretty sure this is just an edited remix, possibly by someone like DJ Daxx(of Ravebusters fame) simply because of the low quality and the sampled sample(you'll get what I mean if you look at the individual samples in a tracker). But this is the file I thought it was...

http://www.yousendit.com/download/ZW9EQ ... UjZ4dnc9PQ

Sorry to dissapoint.

:-S

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Tha Liquid(tm) wrote:I totally apologise for getting your hopes up. I've never really played this .MOD and after playing it before uploading it i'm pretty sure this is just an edited remix, possibly by someone like DJ Daxx(of Ravebusters fame) simply because of the low quality and the sampled sample(you'll get what I mean if you look at the individual samples in a tracker). But this is the file I thought it was...

Sorry to dissapoint.

I found a mod of it here (think it's the original version) - quality is appauling :lol:

http://www.exotica.org.uk/mediawiki/ind ... +shakedown

tha liquid

Post by tha liquid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:47 pm

RenegadeGenius wrote:
Tha Liquid(tm) wrote:I totally apologise for getting your hopes up. I've never really played this .MOD and after playing it before uploading it i'm pretty sure this is just an edited remix, possibly by someone like DJ Daxx(of Ravebusters fame) simply because of the low quality and the sampled sample(you'll get what I mean if you look at the individual samples in a tracker). But this is the file I thought it was...

Sorry to dissapoint.

I found a mod of it here (think it's the original version) - quality is appauling :lol:

Yeah thats the one I posted up, but i'm not convinced its the original, hmm.

:-)

Peace...

J3D

Post by J3D » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Eyeski wrote:Didn't they use an akai then? I always tought they used an s900/950 on the later stuff after the d-force ep... it sounds like it to me.
J3D wrote:DJ Red Alert & Pepsi 'Mike slammer'
Amiga 600HD with octaMED

the title of the thread is "which sequencers" The Akai s900/950 is a sampler.

samuel
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by samuel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:21 am

RenegadeGenius wrote: I found a mod of it here (think it's the original version) - quality is appauling :lol:

There is also a demo (not music, visual demo u know) from '94 which was officially released by Urban Shakedown and the visuals were made by Tony Horgan of the CU Amiga magazine with some sort of demomaker. That demo includes another remix of Some Justice but made by Urban Shakedown for real.

henryburner
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by henryburner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:07 am

I have tried some hardware sequencers, Alesis MMT-8, Roland MC500 and the internal sequencers in my EPS sampler and Korg M1R. For looping techno tunes and go with the "mute on mute off" technique they are great. But it would be a total nightmare to arrange a 5 min hardcore breaks tune in them.

J3D

Post by J3D » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:53 pm

Eyeski wrote:Please, don't patronise me, I know the differeace between a sequencer and a sampler. I was only asking if they used a akai later maybe with the amiga or just the amiga only which I know they used for the brain records stuff. You could control a sampler or any type of midi hardware unit from the amiga and atari, you still need sequencer software.
J3D wrote:the title of the thread is "which sequencers" The Akai s900/950 is a sampler.
who is patronizing ?
you asked me a question and i answered it in relation to the thread
Civil.

bandwidth
Regular
Regular

Post by bandwidth » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:43 pm

I was looking through some old music magazines the other day and came across some interviews.... 4 Hero used Atari C-Lab Creator, Roni Size used Notator but switched to Cubase when he worked with DJ Krust who was using Cubase, Blame uses Logic, LTJ Bukem uses Logic Audio, Adam F uses Atari Notator....

squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by squatski » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:17 pm

J3D wrote:
Eyeski wrote:Please, don't patronise me, I know the differeace between a sequencer and a sampler. I was only asking if they used a akai later maybe with the amiga or just the amiga only which I know they used for the brain records stuff. You could control a sampler or any type of midi hardware unit from the amiga and atari, you still need sequencer software.
J3D wrote:the title of the thread is "which sequencers" The Akai s900/950 is a sampler.
who is patronizing ?
you asked me a question and i answered it in relation to the thread
Civil.

squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by squatski » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:25 pm

J3D

Post by J3D » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:15 am

Squatski wrote:Image

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:06 am

RenegadeGenius wrote:The 8 tracks via 2 amigas was due to how the amiga did sound - 2 channels on the left, 2 on the right, so for them to get say the drums coming out of both left and right, they had to put the same drums on a left and right channel (using up 2 tracks). so the 8 tracks were really 4 mono tracks (or maybe a bit of panning to give slight stereo placement).
Also heard they used a couple of effect machines in there (as vsts weren't arround back then :) )
It could be done like that, but I'm almost positive it wasn't, don't forget that this was in the days when 2Mb was considered a ton of sampling capacity. I'm pretty sure that all instruments run through the Amiga hardware with OctaMED were all mono, the description of hitting space bars is a bit misleading too, I'm not sure that's not just a legend, the proper way to synchronise two Amiga's together was with a null modem cable (which was also used to link two Amigas for heads up games like Lotus II & Stunt Car Racer), OctaMED was programmed to take advantage of this and that is how you got 8 channels of crusty Amiga 8 bit sampling goodness :). I know this as it's what I used to do myself before I got my own sampler and went MIDI (and now I've come full circle and am pure computer based, funny how technology 'progesses' :) ).

Swift & Zinc were affiliated with Bizzy B and used Amiga's also. Whilst OctaMED in all honesty is not really the best sequencer for actually composing complex music, what people have to recognise is that it was OctaMED that really kicked off the whole choppage movement when it came to breakbeats, if you listen to Some Justice, Ruff Justice & Do It Now, those breaks were being chopped up way way more than you'd usually hear at the time of their releases, then listen to what Bizzy B was doing etc.. That was the genius of OctaMED.