What sequencer do you use?

Breaks, Old Skool, Nu Skool. Interested in how it's all done or have advice to offer? Post here
tdo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

What sequencer do you use?

Post by tdo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:16 pm

Just wondering what sequencer/DAW/soft studio/tracker (or whatever the hell you wanna call it) you all use and why?

I use Live 7 and Reason 4 - I've been using Live for years, I love how it works and how fast you can do stuff but I got bogged down with "VST syndrome" (had too many) So now I only use it when I want to use Albino or Predator and a few FX pluggins.

I've been using Reason for a few months (messed with it a few times over the years) and I love it - it took a while to get use to the sequencer coming from Live and it's "clips" but I got there in the end - I love the fact that "it's all you get" so you have to work with what you have which for me brings fun back into it (like many people seem to say in interviews, Laim Howlett etc) and every time I sit there and think "I wish it did this" a quick search of the net shows it does! Reason is simple and fun but can be complex if you want it to and Thor is amazing and Scream 4! The only thing missing is a waveform display in NN-XT for editing samples.

What's your weapon(s) of choice?

squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: What sequencer do you use?

Post by squatski » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:11 pm

black & white cubase 1 on atari ST + an akai s1000. just kiddin

i use renoise innit, and apart from R.G. it amazes me why no one else uses it! it's the king of kings for making music!

samuel
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by samuel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:42 am

FL Studio all the way since I moved from Amiga to PC eight years ago.
Squatski wrote: i use renoise innit, and apart from R.G. it amazes me why no one else uses it! it's the king of kings for making music!
Maybe because even it has certain advantages compared to traditional trackers, it still lacks a lot what other seqs can offer and the tracker idea itself is pretty outdated. At least for me the direction is obvious as I used trackers for 12 years on Amiga and when I moved onwards I really wanted to get something more advanced. Probably, if Renoise in such form it is today existed back then I'm pretty sure I would've sticked to that as well but I'm lucky I got into FL studio instead.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:29 am

Renoise :D
I've tried FL, Reason, Cubase etc but they took so long to actually do anything compared to how easy Renoise was. You can load it up, load a couple of samples & synths & have a beat & riff going within 2 minutes!!
There's also no problem with vsts - it seems to be able to load them all (instruments & effects) & the effects can be adjusted within the program sequence pretty easily as well (eg cut off / filters etc).
And u can have as many tracks as your pc can cope with & save them all out as individual parts for further processing & mixdown. You can do it within the program itself, but I prefer to use Adobe Audition for that part of the process.
Only thing it lacks within the program itself (although u can get effects to do it) is a realtime timestretch to pitch up & down stuff like beats.

stuartj
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by stuartj » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:22 am

Another FL Studio user here.

Like you tdo I used to have VST syndrome - had literally 100's of them and didn't know how to use any of them really. I've got about 4 VSTi's that I use regularly now (Predator, Massive, Albino and suprisingly the FL Native 3xOsc)

As for FL, it does everything I need it to without any complaints. I love the fact that I get free updates for life too!!! Roll on FL9

J3D
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by J3D » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:14 am

Make the loops on Ableton then export them individually to Logic studio Pro 8

only been working with Logic for the past couple of weeks so still
a newbie to it !

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:34 am

Cubase SX.

I started on OctaMed on the Amiga and the idea of using a tracker now fills me with horror!

I also used FL for a short while years ago and found it bloody horrible. I can fly around Cubase and love the way it works; I find it really easy to see exactly where things happen in my tune - within a couple of clicks I can go from being zoomed in on a 1-bar area to having an overview of the entire track.

stuartj
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by stuartj » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:44 am

Beagle wrote:I also used FL for a short while years ago and found it bloody horrible. I can fly around Cubase and love the way it works; I find it really easy to see exactly where things happen in my tune - within a couple of clicks I can go from being zoomed in on a 1-bar area to having an overview of the entire track.
LOL - I'm the exact opposite, I tried to use cubase for a little while and absoltley hated it, found it really time consuming to do anything, for me FL's workflow makes so much more sense.

(Not trying to get into a DAW war, just find it interesting that what works well for one person is really awful for someone else)

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:19 pm

the thing I disliked most about FL was the way it worked in 'blocks' or loops, as opposed to one big arrangement. (this was years ago though). I also found it fiddly and everything seemed very small and quite hard on the eyes.

But you're right - if you use anything for long enough it soon becomes second-nature.

jon99
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by jon99 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:51 pm

I use Ableton Live and nothing else - no plugins or vsts or anything. Though I don't really make music with it, I mainly just use it for DJ'ing and occasionally playing about with it.

I've got a beta of Live 8 and its looking pretty good so far, a lot easier to warp tracks and lots of new content and instruments and effects and other stuff. They seem to have fixed all the main issues that people were complaining about as well.

aike
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aike » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:25 pm

ableton live for putting together, fruity for drums and energy xt for sound manglements all rewired or vsti'd together

they all have pluses and minuses but together they play happily

really don't get renoise its all numbers its like being back at work coding websites but hey different strokes blah blah...

massive wasp triangle vanguard and pro53 for instruments, mainly the live plugs for fx although rough rider is a wicked comp if your looking for extremeness

DazzF
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Location: Northfleet - The sun always shines in Northfleet, even at night.

Post by DazzF » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:08 pm

FL User and have also got a copy of Cubase SX (love chopping drums up in Cubase, really quick), but I do almost everying in FL now. I just hope FL9 has track freeze like Cubase.

eddievoyager
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by eddievoyager » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:31 pm

seems to be ableton @ the moment , but i think my first love lies with cubase . but ableton just seems to keep the workflow going and seems more creative , for me anyways!

KiYo_ReLoaDeD
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by KiYo_ReLoaDeD » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:15 pm

Magix Music Maker 14 ( Producers edition) here :oops: + a bunch of VST's & VSTi's

soopaslooth
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by soopaslooth » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 pm

Just ableton. Works a treat :D