Is old-skool vinyl worth less now than a few years ago?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Brainstormer
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Brainstormer » Sat May 05, 2007 11:55 am

To be honest, I think the prices are still ridiculous! Furthermore, if someone offers me over £50 for pretty much any one of my early '90s vinyls, it's sold, simple as! Especially when I can buy a heap of hardcore breaks with £50... I know what I'd prefer...

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sat May 05, 2007 12:29 pm

Brainstormer wrote:To be honest, I think the prices are still ridiculous! Furthermore, if someone offers me over £50 for pretty much any one of my early '90s vinyls, it's sold, simple as! Especially when I can buy a heap of hardcore breaks with £50... I know what I'd prefer...
that's how it was when i first started buying "old skool" in about 96/97. old records were old records, simple as that. they were worth less than new ones, even if they were rare. they were just harder to find (or in the many bargain bins.)

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sat May 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Yeah I put a copy of Cyanide 45 on ebay for £20 a year back. Didn't get a single bite. Recently sold the same tune for £90. I guess high starting bids can put people off.

Best thing to do is keep an eye on the forum to see which tunes are currently being hyped and fetching money. I've seen awful records that I couldn't previously sell for £5 get hyped and end up selling for £50! crazeeeeee! Especially when there are heaps of brilliant cheap tracks on there no one is playing.

milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: Is old-skool vinyl worth less now than a few years ago?

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Sat May 05, 2007 1:18 pm

Eazyflow wrote:
Milwaukees-Junglist wrote:Blame - Feel the Energy EP so I set the starting price for these at £35 and received a total of 0 bids :shock: :-k

:)
Yeah I saw this auction as I'm after a promo copy of Feel The Energy. But like Traffic Cone And Paul Zykotic said, the high starting bid (and £70 buy it now) was a real put off :?
:lol: Yeah, it was a bit of a pisstake that one. It wasn't entirely intentional, as I said I've not been following old-skool vinyl prices for a couple of years so wasn't really sure what the going rate was. Mind you I paid £45 for it but as I've learned prices seem to have cooled down a bit in the last couple of years. On the other hand Bad Influence Unfair Justice EP went for over £20 and I had no idea it was worth anything near that price I thought I might get £10 max :oops:

The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by 666 » Sat May 05, 2007 6:00 pm

dj_yt wrote:Yeah I put a copy of Cyanide 45 on ebay for £20 a year back. Didn't get a single bite. Recently sold the same tune for £90.
i've tried selling visions of rage 3 times now for £20, no ones touched it each time :?

decided i'm keeping it now cos there was no way i was going lower than £20 & i didn't really want to sell it so now i don't need the funds i'm keeping it

esq

Post by esq » Sat May 05, 2007 6:07 pm

I expect prices have peaked and will continue to drop from here, with very very few exceptions.

There's been a revival, there *might* be a US revival closer to the 20 year mark (80s fashion is just rebounding as 70s fashion is waning) but I think oldskool has seen its highest prices, there isn't a large pool of new oldskool buyers out there, most people that will take up collecting oldskool already have, more people are conditioned to free mp3s, most collectors have the tunes they really want now, and people are less willing overall to pay the silly prices of a few years ago.

What seemed a clever investment a few years ago is looking more like an expensive hobby every year.

milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Sat May 05, 2007 8:55 pm

ESQ wrote:I expect prices have peaked and will continue to drop from here, with very very few exceptions.

more people are conditioned to free mp3s
True. That's why I'm selling up. I've mp3'd my entire collection, I've got Serato scratch which is as good as having a dubplate of every mp3 I can get my hands on and I never play gigs I'm only really a bedroom dj so what's the point in spunking x amount of cash on vinyl. As these mp3 vinyl systems get even better with new technology I'd expect prices to drop even more.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:29 am

by this thread prices have been down for a long time, it is annoying as most of the tunes i want are still big money - saying that i have just seen one track i been after and it was going for well over 100 quid and its now 25 quid so buyers fill ya boots

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:49 am

I spent last year bulking up my collection by only buying records that were between £1 and £5, I bought very few records over that price range. A good example is ADR, I must have picked up 10 I didn't have for less than a fiver each, most of which are good tunes and pretty obscure/never get played. It was nice to see that you can still buy plenty of good tunes that aren't going for silly prices. As you guys say though, some tunes just always will be expensive.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:58 am

i am after green budda ep but none for sale and id imagine if it did it would be too dear

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:58 am

It's all about condition, buyers are much wiser these days. If you want near mint copies you gotta pay for it, likewise if you want top prices you must have looked after it!

Quite funny really, I'm so fussy when it comes to buying tunes yet loads of copies I've had since 92-3 look thrashed to within an inch of their lives yet I would never consider replacing them, I'm quite sentimental obviously!

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi,

Condition certainly is paramount.

I did well off-loading a lot of mt spares, but these were in MINT condition, most never even been out the sleeves...

The only stuff worth money now is the obscure stuff, much of which is actually rubbish tracks, just people collecting, no intention of playing...

Even though the obscure stuff goes for loads, I'm not selling mine - as I actually do play some of the weird tracks...

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi,

You can track the fall of prices, with the rise of Discogs - simple.

Remember 20+ people fighting over 1 vinyl on eBay, then years later 20+ of the same vinyl on Discogs at any one time...

Then, when Discogs went proper international, all those import vinyls you had to pay loads for are peanuts.

I remember people offering me silly money for stuff on Pengo, and Dwarf etc, now they can all be obtained for under £5, some even £1 each!

will2003
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by will2003 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:34 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote: I remember people offering me silly money for stuff on Pengo, and Dwarf etc, now they can all be obtained for under £5, some even £1 each!
If money was no object, I'd buy up every single copy of every release ever made on Pengo.

I'd then pay for a rocket to shoot them directly into the middle of the sun.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:24 pm

:lol:

I feel very sorry for anybody trying to sell a happy hardcore collection, it is literally worthless. In the late 90s/early 00s tracks from the 'golden era' of 95-98 could rivial old skool for prices, but now there are very, very few that you can even sell, let alone for a high price. There is just zero demand.

The same is probably true for house, I think old skool and jungle are the only dance genres that cherish vinyl.