Is old-skool vinyl worth less now than a few years ago?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Is old-skool vinyl worth less now than a few years ago?

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Fri May 04, 2007 12:28 pm

I'm selling my record collection at the moment but after having put the first batch on ebay I was quite suprised at how little most of them fetched. (please DON'T PM with offers the remainder from the first batch will more than likely be posted in the sales section over the weekend)

Now some of the starting bids were a bit on the steep side but not THAT steep. A few years ago I paid £42 for my copy of N'Joi This and about £45 for Blame - Feel the Energy EP so I set the starting price for these at £35 and received a total of 0 bids :shock: :-k

The Speed of Sound LP went for £21 when I can remember it easily fetching £30 - £40 a few years back, V Classic LP didn't receive a single bid with a starting price of £15.

Now I'm not being greedy here but I would expect to get back at least what I paid for most tunes. What's the deal? :? Has old-skool vinyl dropped in value since I was buying on ebay (2002 - 2005) or is this a bad time of year to be selling? This is a genuine question as I've not really been following vinyl prices for at least a couple of years.

Cheers
T

:)

milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Fri May 04, 2007 12:42 pm

Elusive wrote: i paid £90 for spirit of space ep, its now worth half that
Whoa that's some serious depreciation. Mind you I always thought that prices would drop a bit what with all the represses, people completing their wants lists and mp3 mixing taking a chunk of the vinyl market.

Oh well, guess I'll have to settle for a bit less than I planned for in that case but I'm buggered if I'm selling rare stuff for less than I paid for it - I'd rather hang them on my walls as collectors items :lol:

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri May 04, 2007 12:51 pm

you have to remember that physically no record is "worth" anything more than the vinyl it's pressed on. all that determines the price is hype/demand.

6/7 years ago tunes like sunnyside up sold for £75, now you can get it for a tenner. it's not only due to represses, like dave says a tune gets popular, everybody buys it for top dollar, but then everyone eventually owns it so the demand dies down.

the best way to get money for your vinyl is pick out all the uber-obscure stuff, and put a post on here saying "wow what's this amazingly rare obscure tune?!" :lol:

milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Fri May 04, 2007 1:07 pm

DJ Jedi wrote:you have to remember that physically no record is "worth" anything more than the vinyl it's pressed on. all that determines the price is hype/demand.
True, it's all supply and demand. I knew I should have sold them a few years back :lol:

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri May 04, 2007 1:27 pm

Another thing to bear in mind is that putting a high starting bid on Ebay is never a good idea, IMO. I know it's strange...but I'd be far more likely to bid on a tune that started at £5, than a tune that started at £15. Even if I'd be happy to bid up to well over £15 at the end of the auction, I'd be put off at starting that high. It's a psychological thing. Then again, might just be me.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Fri May 04, 2007 1:45 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:Another thing to bear in mind is that putting a high starting bid on Ebay is never a good idea, IMO. I know it's strange...but I'd be far more likely to bid on a tune that started at £5, than a tune that started at £15. Even if I'd be happy to bid up to well over £15 at the end of the auction, I'd be put off at starting that high. It's a psychological thing. Then again, might just be me.
Nah, it ain't just you. I'm the same and I reckon a lot of other people are too. If you see at a fiver then you start to think "I might get a bargain here". Then you get in the mindset of wanting that tune, so when the bids start to go higher you get caught up in it. Obviously there are some tunes that will go sky high no matter what, but they tend to be up to £20+ plus within a day or so of going up anyway. There's no way I'd bid on a lot of tunes that started at £15-20 because I know that I'll be able to get them for much cheaper, and that's proven to be the case on a number of occasions.

extreme
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by extreme » Fri May 04, 2007 2:57 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:Another thing to bear in mind is that putting a high starting bid on Ebay is never a good idea, IMO. I know it's strange...but I'd be far more likely to bid on a tune that started at £5, than a tune that started at £15. Even if I'd be happy to bid up to well over £15 at the end of the auction, I'd be put off at starting that high. It's a psychological thing. Then again, might just be me.
me too, same with anything that has a 'reserve' ill avoid it like the plague.

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Fri May 04, 2007 3:04 pm

Nah, it ain't just you. I'm the same and I reckon a lot of other people are too

agreed. I've never placed a bid on anything that starts at £15+

Bet you any money if you start them at £1... they probably fetch what you were after !

J3D

Post by J3D » Fri May 04, 2007 3:15 pm

I Paid £6 for Pacman
ive seen it sell for £70 on fleabay :badgrin:

milwaukees-junglist
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by milwaukees-junglist » Fri May 04, 2007 3:28 pm

hmm. cheers for the info. Maybe I'll start 'em cheaper next time either that or just aviod ebay alltogether. :D

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Fri May 04, 2007 4:01 pm

very true about starting them low + letting competitiveness drive the price up. Also it's been mentioned before numerous times here, but having samples of all the tunes helps a fair deal.. even if you think they're mostly obvious ones most people know, you never know if someone might not know the name but will recognize the tune from a mixtape when they hear a clip (or just think it's a bad bad tune and want it based on that)

Post by Guest » Fri May 04, 2007 4:25 pm

Sell them on discogs. You either get what you want or you get to keep the vinyl. Free to list also. I've not put a record up for sale on ebay in over a year. Doubt I'll bother again.

soundsdistilled
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by soundsdistilled » Fri May 04, 2007 4:47 pm

reesproject wrote:Sell them on discogs. You either get what you want or you get to keep the vinyl. Free to list also. I've not put a record up for sale on ebay in over a year. Doubt I'll bother again.
nor have i, i do all my selling through discogs and a bit of private sales.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Is old-skool vinyl worth less now than a few years ago?

Post by eazyflow » Sat May 05, 2007 10:05 am

Milwaukees-Junglist wrote:Blame - Feel the Energy EP so I set the starting price for these at £35 and received a total of 0 bids :shock: :-k

:)
Yeah I saw this auction as I'm after a promo copy of Feel The Energy. But like Traffic Cone And Paul Zykotic said, the high starting bid (and £70 buy it now) was a real put off :?

crugga
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by crugga » Sat May 05, 2007 11:39 am

Prices dropped bigtime. I remember when all the big tunes on Reinforced/sub bass & moving shadow would fetch £30+ even for the non rare ones. Most can be picked up for between £5-10 now. The odd random freak price & 1 or 2 get hyped and go up but on the whole dropped. Time to buy at the minute so i'm buying like theres no tomorow as they'll hopefully go back up.