Ratty one more set?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Ratty one more set?

Post by alphawave ep » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:58 pm

I heard today that Ratty is doing one more set?? Anyone know more about this?? Thanks

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Ratty one more set?

Post by Restless » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Where did you hear this?

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:19 pm

Its on The DJ Ratty Fan Club Facebook page...

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:43 pm

Yeah I saw this yesterday. Was nosing on his brothers page while I was at it!

If it is for real I would have to go, I would like to think he would put on a great final show. I'm sure he could fill up one of the big clubs in Brum, in a way it would be cool if it was in a smaller club with a sweatbox atmosphere.

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Didn't he do this twice before, more comebacks than Take That :D
Shame as he is probably the only one not to be a sell out pussy when it comes to DJ sets
He will be missed

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:11 am

It's things like this that realise my time as a DJ is nearing the end, too.

You know when your favourite DJ's growing up are either retired, need to retire or are flat out awful due to various reasons? This is one of them ones. But Ratty is still awesome, he's just probably fed up with it now.

Shame, as he really was one of THE best DJ's in that scene (on par with Coxy/Easygroove, easy) and one of the best DJ's this country has EVER produced. You listen to what came after Hardcore (handbag house etc) and the likes of Healey, Judge Jules aren't fit enough to carry Ratty's record box!

I really do think thought that had he just played '91-'92 sets 95% of the time instead of the '93 stuff he plays, he'd have stuck with it due to the crowd reaction he would have got compared to what he did when he opted for '93 stuff instead.

"Second Sight" is, and always will be, my favourite Ratty set.

Is the mixing pretty hazy? Yep. Was Ratty on a E (or seven)? Probably! Haha. But that set was FILLED with TUNE AFTER TUNE, a DJ that wasn't afraid to take risks with his skills in front of a high crowd and probably had a poor set-up to work with. The one thing it taught me was that your sets as a DJ HAVE GOT to entertain and have got to have energy, simple.

Easily my favourite DJ from the scene. By far. A genuine legend if there ever was one.

I'd love to see today's technology in yesterday's scene. A 23 year old Ratty with a Pioneer mixer and a CDJ in his prime? Scary. He'd be on a different planet, let alone level.

Shame to see him go, but you can't keep doing the miles that these guys do at that age, still have the desire to be on-point with your set, still have the same hunger for 20 year old tunes that you did on the day they were released and still keep doing it with your personal life (family time/work etc).

But I'll 110% be going to his last gig.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:16 am

He's a victim of the modern scene, these days it's all about press photos in Grandad caps and signing books or CDs rather than being a good DJ or playing good music. As others have said he's one of the very few never to sell out. Sadly this hasn't done him any favours, the last couple of times I've seen him play the crowd reaction hasn't been great. But I respect any DJ that plays what they want to play, not what they think they should play to please Facebook.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:17 pm

^^

Agreed.

But he wouldn't have had to play anthems from the years I mentioned, Just actually played stuff from that time to keep the dance floor busy. But I think he fell in love too much with the '93 sound and lost sight of the floors, to be honest. And if you can't read your own crowds, it's time to move on or call it a day...

It is sad that to stay relevant you have to more or less anthem bash, have a presence on social media etc.

As much as I like the Bunter's of this world (he is a hell of a selector, and his sets are top notch), give me Ratty ANY DAY. Not annoying, plays what he wants, goes about his business how I like to see people do it and sticks to his guns in a musical sense.

Beatgraphter_v_1.0
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Beatgraphter_v_1.0 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 pm

Last time I saw him play was a few years back at Camden Lockside lounge (think it was a rolldabeats night) he was back to back with tango and they totally smashed it !

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:06 am

Love his sets, no anthem bashing in sight, but also not super nerdy - really good and 'of the time' from what I can hear. I've made it a point last 2 UK trips to go see him even when it's been far outside London, and it's been more than worth it both times :)

Hope he doesn't retire, he didn't strike me as someone trying to make a living off this stuff - would be cool if he just took breaks for a year or 2 then reappeared as needed based on real life stuff.

Beatgraphter_v_1.0
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Beatgraphter_v_1.0 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:31 am

I just received an mailout from Bangface about their weekender and it states Tango & Ratty added to the lineup

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm

He was much better 'live' than on tape.

Definitely too focused on the '93 stuff though.