Great tunes/remixes that SS managed to ruin with a...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Great tunes/remixes that SS managed to ruin with a...

Post by eazyflow » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:45 pm

Woefully out of tune piano.

For example, this @ around the 3 min mark:

Post your favourites/worst... he murdered a fair few...

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Great tunes/remixes that SS managed to ruin with a...

Post by nebkins » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Still a great tune imo

lixx
Regular
Regular

Post by lixx » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:08 pm

He ruined Babylon on Deejay for me. It's unlistenable clown music IMO.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Now post up the tunes he made that were MASSIVE in the Jungle scene...

SS is a legend, mate. End of.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:27 pm

That piano doesn't sound out of tune to me? Love that tune to bits! One of my favourite SS and EQ tracks. I know what you mean though, he has dropped plenty of clangers. The breakdown on Breakbeat Pressure, deary me!

http://youtu.be/OBh_JKnZkHY

Love the first part of the track though.

That label has a bit of a bad rep but I think to love Formation you've got to love the imperfections, there are lots of them! I'm a massive fan, it's got that home made, slightly amateurish sound, but the originality of the tracks make up for the lack of precision. This is a good example. All over the place from a production point of view but still a rocking track!

http://youtu.be/ziPst9UTd3Y

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:56 pm

nebkins wrote:Still a great tune imo
Yeap!
Restless wrote:Now post up the tunes he made that were MASSIVE in the Jungle scene...

SS is a legend, mate. End of.
Yeap MK 2! ;)

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:22 pm

rage wrote:That piano doesn't sound out of tune to me? Love that tune to bits! One of my favourite SS and EQ tracks. I know what you mean though, he has dropped plenty of clangers. The breakdown on Breakbeat Pressure, deary me!

http://youtu.be/OBh_JKnZkHY

:lol:

Thing is, I love all the other elements of these tunes, and I love lo-fi rugged & rough production in general, but I just can't help but laugh when SS starts tinkling the ivorys...

Here's another one that amuses me :D

MJS57
Regular
Regular

Post by MJS57 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:18 pm

That D'Cruz remix is on Kenny Ken / Randall back2back Awol August 93, which is an awesome set, funnily enough they mix out of it, and into Doc Scott's NHS (with it's own piano intro), before that SS piano kicks in.

And The Warning, above, is also in that Awol mix set too, but they run the whole tune incl the piano, I always had a soft spot for the wonky piano in that track though, for some reason I just like it. That Awol set is one of my all time favorite mixes from bitd and we all cained it, so both tunes get a pass from me. And I have a formation soft spot tbh, but I know what you are saying about the Formation piano, it can be questionable :-) .

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:14 pm

Sound of the future - The Warning. Starts off as a wicked 93 dark jungle techno tune, with ruff clattering breakbeats and sinister atmospherics.

Then around the 2:35 mark an awful, out of tune, and not even serialistic piano riff comes in and it honestly sounds like a toddler banging away on a cheap cassio keyboard - truly shocking! Rest of the tune is brilliant though!

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 pm

eazyflow wrote:I just can't help but laugh when SS starts tinkling the ivorys...
Maybe he got his inspiration from this guy!

stringz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stringz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:03 am

yeah, alot of early to mid ear Formation stuff ( don't mention anything after about 2000, a serious fall off!) had questionable elements in them but that's what made them so special. They helped give the tunes their own particular Midlands sound, very different from what was coming out of london or bristol. With a brummie MC over the top, it was a real local sound.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:41 am

lixx wrote:He ruined Babylon on Deejay for me. It's unlistenable clown music IMO.
Wow I've never even heard that mix before! It's almost as if it's some sort of pisstake made by someone who despises jungle :lol:

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:56 am

BTW, I should probably point out that I certainly don't dislike Formation - I love that label, and the term 'ruin' is a little OTT...

This thread was meant as a bit of fun regarding some of their more comical elements.

Like this:

Even when it's a sample he still manages to make it sound all over the place :lol:

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:49 pm

rage wrote:That piano doesn't sound out of tune to me? Love that tune to bits! One of my favourite SS and EQ tracks. I know what you mean though, he has dropped plenty of clangers. The breakdown on Breakbeat Pressure, deary me!
Agreed. That break is a shocker!

That DJ SS - E-Face tune is a car crash. How that ever got released I will never know - they couldn't have bothered listening to it :biggrin:

Love this though

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Yeah I forgot about those crowd pleasers records, props to SS for making records that manage to sound dodgy in a scene where dodge is the name of the game =D> :lol: parts that might even have red alert + mike slammer raising an eyebrow! It's all good though, I doubt he or any of his camp were taking happy hardcore remotely seriously at all and it just seemed like some dumb stuff to bang out in record time without regard to consonant melodies or key or whatever. And aside from that, formation crew put out SO many sick tunes back in that period, still finding b2 tunes to this day which are killers that I never really played.

The Sound of the Future Track you mentioned is a great example, here's what I wrote about it on discogs:
pete.devnull October 17, 2007
edited about 1 year ago
"The Warning" starts off great, with solid beats, and a sick simple dark synth part. It chugs along for a while sounding truly awesome, until around 2:33 when a terrible piano part comes in sounding like there's a 4 year old banging away on the keys. In my opinion the piano kills the mood of what is otherwise an amazing track. Luckily it goes away after 16 measures or so, but sadly the damage has already been done. It's still probably mixable if you work around those measures, but... why DJ SS, why??!

eazyflow wrote:BTW, I should probably point out that I certainly don't dislike Formation - I love that label, and the term 'ruin' is a little OTT...

This thread was meant as a bit of fun regarding some of their more comical elements.

Like this:

Even when it's a sample he still manages to make it sound all over the place :lol: