Irish rave scene/old skool?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dial1
Regular
Regular

Irish rave scene/old skool?

Post by dial1 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:03 pm

Yeah, this is an area I know absolutely nothing about.

What was big? What were the big sounds?

Was there a predominantly protestant/catholic split eventually?

How popular/not were breakbeats?

dial1
Regular
Regular

Re: Irish rave scene/old skool?

Post by dial1 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Watching this documentary... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM5TktcXdnk

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:31 pm

NI or Republic?

there's lots of tapes of the popular Northern Irish DJs on YouTube - the standard is generally pretty high so i do like em. mostly happy hardcore/bouncy techno: Tizer, Paddy Frazer, Binman, Fergie (who obviously went onto be pretty big!) but also hard trance: Sci, X-Ray. was a scene closely connected to the Scottish scene i think. i think sadly some influence from the paramilitaries too although i don't know enough to comment! as with Scotland the happy hc side kinda dying out 97/98.

i *think* some of the same DJs were popular elsewhere in Ireland. not sure. i think trance was quite popular?

i've heard a few sets from a 93/94 rave in NI called Hellraiser with some of the usual UK DJs (Easygroove, Carl Cox etc) and a few Europeans, that sounds decent (going by the sets). Not to be confused with another famous rave called Hellraiser in the Netherlands of course.

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:17 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:NI or Republic?

i think sadly some influence from the paramilitaries too although i don't know enough to comment!
From what I remember, they were a bit upset about Catholics and Protestants coming together on pills and having a good time, and so forced clubs to switch to House music instead of Happy Hardcore where they could fund themselves by flogging cocaine to the kids instead.

PJ BreakBob
Regular
Regular

Post by PJ BreakBob » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:17 am

And they have Riverdance as an equivalent to UK's Raindance, don't they? Only started years later,in 1994 as legal all nighter, before there were outdoor raves around maypoles. ;)
But on the serious note it's worth to look at the Asylum parties in Dublin and wicked DJ Pressure sets :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS9CwfrwRl8
I like this tune - irish electronica with oldskool lava - shame there's not much bass in there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9akEj84XJc#t=203

I'll watch this Dancing In Narrow Grounds documentary, thanks :)

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:34 pm

I reckon being 44 years old and on the scene in Dublin almost from the start i might know a thing or two lol.

I am not exaggerating when i say at one stage in Dublin in the 90's it was one of the best cities in Europe to go raving, the sheer amount of amazing clubs to go to was a joy to behold.

I started in 1990, the year before i was fascinated looking at the news at the cops chasing convoys of acid house ravers up the M50 in England, coupled with the burgeoning Madchester scene which i was and still am massively into i was hooked.

The scene here was very underground back then, i recall someone telling me one of the very earliest warehouse raves in 1989, i actually took my first E in London in 1990 and it was a life changing experience.

I came back to Dublin and told anyone who would listen about this amazing pill and this amazing music, the only club in Ireland which was playing Acid House and Madchester was my regular for years Sides DC, which to this day is still revered as the greatest club Ireland has ever seen, it was essentially the equivalent to the Hacienda in Manchester.

Sir Henry's in Cork Ireland's second city is also revered as an amazing club as was the Metroland in Waterford and the GPO in Galway but Dublin was by far and away the place to go,as time went on and the scene became huge clubs opened everywhere, some notable ones to mention are as follows

Sides DC (SIMPLY PUT THE BEST RAVE CLUB EVER IMO)
Olympic Ballroom
The Asylum
The Ormond Multimedia Centre
The Temple of Sound
The Waterfront
Temple Theatre
G1 Club
Tin Pan Alley
Grouchos
Shaft
The System
The Red Box
The Kitchen (formerly owned by U2)
POD

there are numerous more but probably too many to list, ive been to every single one of them in the 90's, of course you had illegal raves / warehouse / squat parties and big fuck off Raves in the Point Depot where anyone from Carl Cox. Orbital, Prodigy, THE ORB amongst countless others played

Music wise the most popular form was and probably still is House music, up in N.Ireland they were really into their Hardcore Techno like in Scotland, i went up a few times and whilst it was good it wasn't in the same league as Dublin.

Techno has al;ways been big here too and Progressive House and Trance, Hardcore and Jungle had an underground loyal following myself included.

Unfortunately no Irish DJ's never made it as big as DJ's in the UK being a smaller country, David Holmes many might remember from Belfast was huge in the 90;s for a while, but to be totally honest there was so much talent here that they should went to the top.

DJ;s like Mark Kavanagh who is really one of the most iconic figures in dance music in Ireland and still play out should have made it big, Liam Dollard, Johnny Moy, Francois, Warren K and the legendary SIR HENRY'S residents for years Greg Dowling and Shane Johnson to name but a small few were all immense DJ's and really should have gone onto massive things.

probably loads more videos but these 2 are my favorites,grainy footage in the Olympic Ballroom spit over 2 nights, one night undercover cops raided it but then said they were leaving, the other is from NYE 92, i was at that, amazing.

The other is from the legendary SIDES DC, pity there's no videos from the early 90's but even up when ot sadly closed its doors in 97 for the last time it was still an iconic club and even to this day old skool nights around Dublin dedicate the night to Sides, no one does old skool like Dublin IMO.

Sorry for long post but all good, if you want more info at all let me know :)

Olympic Ballroom (check that atmosphere)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyWtGVLSYes

Sides DC (totally unique, a special place)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTTdxj5Q5eE

Old skool continues to be massively popular here, there are numerous nights on every month or two, at my age i very very rarely go clubbing thesedays i choose my nights very carefully, im actually going to see on Halloween night Basement Jaxx set old skool as far as im aware but the real draw for me is THE ORB SOUNDSYSTEM, they are icons and im really looking forward to it.

Once or twice a year i run my own old skool night called Flashback, only 100/150 there small and intimate but always good, theres 2 big ones coming up A celebration of Red run by the legendary Mark Kavanagh and one called 100% Old Skool on 27th December which despite the cheesy name does look excellent, so if any of you ever fancy a short trip across hit me up here or on facebook or Jonny68@gmail.com and ill see what i can do about guest list,etc.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:50 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:
Traffic Cone wrote:NI or Republic?

i think sadly some influence from the paramilitaries too although i don't know enough to comment!
From what I remember, they were a bit upset about Catholics and Protestants coming together on pills and having a good time, and so forced clubs to switch to House music instead of Happy Hardcore where they could fund themselves by flogging cocaine to the kids instead.

yeah those paramilitary scum didn't like it when people from all walks of the community came together in peace, love and unity, although the scene up the north was excellent i have to say but there's no way it could compete with Dublin at all.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:16 pm

PJ BreakBob wrote:And they have Riverdance as an equivalent to UK's Raindance, don't they? Only started years later,in 1994 as legal all nighter, before there were outdoor raves around maypoles. ;)
But on the serious note it's worth to look at the Asylum parties in Dublin and wicked DJ Pressure sets :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS9CwfrwRl8
I like this tune - irish electronica with oldskool lava - shame there's not much bass in there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9akEj84XJc#t=203

I'll watch this Dancing In Narrow Grounds documentary, thanks :)
THE ASYLUM what a place that was, only for the headstrong they said and they werent wrong, never any alcohol served there, frantic hard trance Bonzai style was predominantly the music on the main floor, on the top floor they played Hardcore and mental European techno, the asylum used to let anyone and everyone in no matter who you were, how mental or freaky you looked and no matter how caned you were, it certainly lived up to it's name, sadly as the years went on rival gangs from the city used to fight it it over control over the clubs lucrative drug trade and it was the beginning of the end really but while it remained it was some place, probably in my top 5 clubs here.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:25 pm

Yeah met lots of Irish guys and gals well into their hard techno, Sunil Sharpe is getting pretty big over here (England) these days as well.

:)
Last edited by dial1 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Cheers for the info all. very illuminating. Not much on the interwebs about the Irish scene.

enfield_paul
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Location: Down the front, on the left by the speakers at the Ark

Post by enfield_paul » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:21 am

www.nioldskool.co.uk used to be massive

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:46 am

In Northern Ireland, doesn't Eddie Wray put on quite a big music festival type thing?

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:11 pm

dial1 wrote:Yeah met lots of Irish guys and gals well into their hard techno, Sunil Sharpe is getting pretty big over here (England) these days as well.

:)
Technically he is a brilliant DJ, is generally a warm up DJ for big Techno acts but many times he steals the show.

He is around since about 2000 so not really old skool as such but still he is very good.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:14 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:In Northern Ireland, doesn't Eddie Wray put on quite a big music festival type thing?
That was Planet Love, bit too cheesy trancy for my liking but it wasn't that bad, there have been much better festivals on here over the years, couldn't really tell you nowadays as im not clued up on the scene as such the way i sued to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlanetLove

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:02 pm

For anyone interested or who might be in Dublin on these dates, 2 big old skool nights coming up,there are other old skool nights as usual, but these are the stand out ones.