What anthems weren't that big bitd?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: What anthems weren't that big bitd?

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:28 am

Restless wrote:What about "Closer" by Rhythm Quest? Barely heard it out at all BITD. Post '92 it's a slammer!?
as in closer to all your dreams? i've definitely heard that on old Rezerection sets. but then i would have had that down as more of a Northern piano anthem than a hardcore one.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:45 pm

Restless wrote: "Raving I'm Raving" - Same thing. Never heard it once. Well, maybe once or twice. Certainly not like it gets played post '92.
Funnily enough I heard the 'non-illegal' version on Bryan Gee @ Dreamscape 4 at the weekend....
Even worse than the original.

oz
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by oz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Suppose there were lots of small presses that were played out locally and never distributed nationwide?
Great thing with the net and forums was the chance to discover them all.
Good examples are tunes on kore records or mark smith breakdown. Ten a penny up here yet used sparingly by English dj's due to lack of distribution.

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:44 pm

oz wrote:Suppose there were lots of small presses that were played out locally and never distributed nationwide?
Great thing with the net and forums was the chance to discover them all.
Good examples are tunes on kore records or mark smith breakdown. Ten a penny up here yet used sparingly by English dj's due to lack of distribution.
Like that with loads of stuff. Try getting Formation stuff down in deepest darkest Kent back in the day, it was almost non existent! Yet Subbase/Moving Shadow & anything from the Essex based labels was easy to find.

chunkstar
Regular
Regular

Post by chunkstar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Dee Patten - Who's the Badman. I really don't remember hearing this on any hardcore mixes or pirate stations back in the day but seemed to be massive and played everywhere come revival time.
I think some of the progressive house dj's picked up on the tune when it came out but that's probably because of the label it came out on.
I also think like what has been touched on in previous posts is true and that regional divides may be a factor as I think some tunes where big in certain area and I think that would have been to do in part with what was available to the pirate radio dj's in the record shops in that area who would be spinning those tunes all weekend on the stations for months on end.

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Surprised to see how some of the experiences and memories of other forum members differ to mine. I've never been into the oldskool revival scene so cant pass judgement on what happened after first time around and went raving solely in the South East - london to south coast.

were rocking down the house got played a bit in the middle of 91 but i dont recall it being a huge track that got massive crowd response or overplayed

far out was massive late 91 / early 92 - one of those tunes that everyone knew

pennywise seemed to get played shit loads in the second half of 92

the thing that surprised me with trip to trumpton remix was how much it did get played. not only were the full on crowd pleasing djs like slipmatt spinning it but also the djs more associated with jungle; heard JJFrost play it & even the likes of grooverider & kenny ken gave it a spin

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:46 pm

retrospect wrote:Surprised to see how some of the experiences and memories of other forum members differ to mine. I've never been into the oldskool revival scene so cant pass judgement on what happened after first time around and went raving solely in the South East - london to south coast.

were rocking down the house got played a bit in the middle of 91 but i dont recall it being a huge track that got massive crowd response or overplayed

far out was massive late 91 / early 92 - one of those tunes that everyone knew

pennywise seemed to get played shit loads in the second half of 92

the thing that surprised me with trip to trumpton remix was how much it did get played. not only were the full on crowd pleasing djs like slipmatt spinning it but also the djs more associated with jungle; heard JJFrost play it & even the likes of grooverider & kenny ken gave it a spin
I actually really like Feel The Heat. It's happy and uplifting without being cheesy, kind a bit housey as well. I still play it.

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Yeah i've always liked it too, just didnt usually associate those dj's with that kind of tune

On reflection groove was hard to second guess, his sets were full of all styles of hardcore during 90, 91 & 92

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:57 am

retrospect wrote: the thing that surprised me with trip to trumpton remix was how much it did get played. not only were the full on crowd pleasing djs like slipmatt spinning it but also the djs more associated with jungle; heard JJFrost play it & even the likes of grooverider & kenny ken gave it a spin
The intention was to have side a for radio and side b for clubs, in an attempt to address the needs of both markets.

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:23 am

RonWellsJS wrote: The intention was to have side a for radio and side b for clubs, in an attempt to address the needs of both markets.
Well, it worked then!