Andy C Interview

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
DJ ABO
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Andy C Interview

Post by DJ ABO » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:20 am

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Andy C Interview

Post by Restless » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Now THAT is a British legend!

I remember listening to a "Telepathy" set of his on tape in '95, and it's only years later that you realise "He was still a kid then, only 4-5 years older than me!". Hahaha.

He really came into his own at the start of the 00's, IMO. That's when EVERY mix he did just worked and left you thinking "That was so obvious but how didn't I spot it?".

He had some great comp around that time too in Hype and Mampi. But they fell off pretty hard, never recovered and he got better and better (as ALL good DJ's should, IMO) as time went on.

Also, he HAS to be the tightest DJ I've ever heard who plays vinyl that I've EVER heard. He was airtight. And I've never heard someone "lock" (sync) a mix quicker on a pair of decks than Andy did. Listen to "Nightlife 3" - F*cking SEAMLESS! And NOT A SINGLE DJ in that scene CAME CLOSE to be as good as he was on the EQ's. And D&B is HARD to make it sound as perfect as he did.

And to be SIXTEEN YEARS OLD and be half of a duo that made "Valley of the shadows"? Unreal stuff. Clearly destined for big things.

He's a special DJ/artist for sure. Blows me away every time I see him or have seen him.

Great interview and upload, too. ;-)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Although I agree Andy C is an amazing DJ, I very much doubt Nightlife 3 (produced in 2006) is a live vinyl mix. I know for a fact that the majority of major compilation 'mixes' have been sequenced in something like Pro Tools since the late 90s, certainly all the hardcore compilations as I know people that have sequenced them!

The DJs are of course involved in the sequencing and maybe some of the mixing is live, but I very much doubt it is a 100% unedited vinyl mix.

EDIT - good interview by the way, nice to see an interview where they don't gloss over the early days and replace words like 'hardcore' and 'rave' with 'drum & bass' and 'clubbing' like they do in most magazine interviews.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:04 pm

If my memory serves me right, you even hear the sound of the stylus running on the grooves on the last track. Might be a D&B Arena mix saying that.

But Andy CAN mix seamless like that CD. I've seen him do it an untold amount of times. He's that good.

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Yep great read. Echo what Ed says around not glossing over his roots.

electric tribe
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by electric tribe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:49 am

Very good read. Nice to hear they don't have some wanky offices in soho either and still in local area.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:17 am

This sums it up for me about how new / chaotic it all seemed back then. None of the trainspotter detail 20 odd years of hindsight brings today.

“They were mad times back then,” he continues. “I basically lived in Boogie Times [record shop], I used to finish school, jump on me BMX and ride down to Boogie Times in Romford. I’d hang out, annoy them probably, pick up all the flyers...

He tells how he didn't realise that Boogie Times was basically the Suburban Base shop, and that he'd be in there asking for tunes such as Sonz of A Loop Da Loop Era ‘Far Out’, “and it turns out I’m asking Danny Breaks for his own tunes, cos he was Sonz of A Loop… I never put two and two together"

Great interview.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:29 am

Great interview, excellent dj (although I'm not a fan of his sets from the last few years) but my god he looks smug as fuck in that photo of him at Boogie Times :lol:

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:20 pm

I remember briefly chatting to him at the urinals at an event that Nookie put on in Hitchin (would have been 93/94 time)

Tiny little club, about 85 people there, wasn't even the main DJ on the night, Nookie got that as a local lad, but look at him now!

I looked to my left and said something like "Andy C, YES YES!" it was one of them nights and added something about 'nice set'

champion puffa

Post by champion puffa » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Thrash wrote:This sums it up for me about how new / chaotic it all seemed back then. None of the trainspotter detail 20 odd years of hindsight brings today.

“They were mad times back then,” he continues. “I basically lived in Boogie Times [record shop], I used to finish school, jump on me BMX and ride down to Boogie Times in Romford. I’d hang out, annoy them probably, pick up all the flyers...

He tells how he didn't realise that Boogie Times was basically the Suburban Base shop, and that he'd be in there asking for tunes such as Sonz of A Loop Da Loop Era ‘Far Out’, “and it turns out I’m asking Danny Breaks for his own tunes, cos he was Sonz of A Loop… I never put two and two together"

Great interview.

Him and me are similar ages and from the same area... I pretty much did exactly what he did back then, except i did it on a Saturday when taking the trip Romford Market on the bus... Bought some of my first tunes and picked up some of my first flyers (that i still have)for my first raves from there in 91 from there.

also caught Red and Him around the area from time to time... Brick house Records now n again etc and when i was up on the 'hill' ;)

The guy not only has been a giant in the DNB scene as a DJ and Producer but owns one of the biggest labels in the scene.

Absolute Giant in the scene!
Restless wrote:

I remember listening to a "Telepathy" set of his on tape in '95
You know your a plastic oldskool jungle 'raver' if you needed mid 90s tapes to first hear Andy's sets... Was all about catching his early pirate radio sets with DJ Red [1] as 'Mind Rise Crew' and then catchin him live at Elevation / Oxygen at the Red Lion ;)

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Or you know you're an old c*nt who's been around since the dawn of man.

Oh sowee! You've saw him in a pub and i haven't, lucky you! Night-night gramps!

champion puffa

Post by champion puffa » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:34 pm

:badgrin: =D> \:D/ :cool:

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Valley Of The Shadows, most rinsed tune in my collection without a doubt!

Over the last few years his taste in DnB and mine have taken different directions but I still buy the odd bits on RAM, I don't believe in their policy of signing artists rather than good music but I guess that's just the music business these days. I respect him and Ant Miles massively for the past, they did so much for the evolution of this music and so many classic tunes!

I was a Basement kid but I often wondered what it was like at Boogie Times (I finally got to visit in 94 when I got my driving licence) it always struck me that it would have been pretty crazy there during 92-3.

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:32 am

Thanks for the link, it was a great read, his comments on the early times definitely brought back those times for me and it's good to see that he's clearly still fond of that era, even Eastern Promise gets a mention. I wonder if he's ever been tempted into making Sour Mash Pt 2, Hardcore Breaks style? :) lol