currency exchange affecting sales

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

currency exchange affecting sales

Post by what evil lurks » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi,

have you noticed a decrease in your vinyl sales due to the expensive price of the pound sterling for us, foreign buyers?

I find it difficult to keep on with my usual orders from the UK, moreover, the shipping prices have also risen quite a lot.

Belgian, dutch, german sellers are a good choice now, specially for you I guess :)

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: currency exchange affecting sales

Post by Traffic Cone » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:49 pm

it's worked the other way around for me: most of my Discogs sales are UK anyway, but a lot of my Discogs purchases are from sellers in the Eurozone. So it's made that a bit cheaper :)

I tend to go for Dutch & German sellers, they have the cheapest postage. Annoyingly a lot of stuff I like now is sold by Spanish or Italian sellers and their postage costs are much more expensive: 15 euros to send like 3 tunes compared with 9 euros for 9 in Holland!

lixx
Regular
Regular

Post by lixx » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Honestly I really hate the pound sterling- us dollar exchange rate. It's not as bad as it used to be but combine it with the exorbitant Royal Postage rates (not the sellers fault really) and I often will seek out German sellers who price in Euro (much better conversion rate) and for some reason offer the best shipping prices. I mean I don't know how they do it but shipping is as cheap as stateside in most cases. I avoid Dutch & Belgium sellers because they charge outrageous shipping rates and don't trust the Italian post at all.

It's rough out there if you don't live in the UK/Europe seeking out old tracks! You can't find records stores let alone any selling old jungle here. When I find a old tune I need and as US seller is selling it I'm over the moon!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:12 pm

It fluctuates - for years the euro was 2 to the pound, even more than that when it first came in I remember! And then a year or so ago it was almost 1:1. It's back to a 'sensible' level IMO. The $ is stronger than I would like it to be at the moment, wish it was still 2:1 like it was 5-10 years ago.

I think postage is the biggest killer for foreign buyers, especially as it gets incrementally more expensive the more records you buy (for example 1-10 records UK to UK is the same price, but any more than 2 abroad and the price increases.)

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:09 am

dj jedi wrote:any more than 2 abroad and the price increases.)
that does depend on the country though. for example, most Dutch sellers charge the same price for 8 or 9 records as 1 (it's about 9 euros for 0 to 2 kg).

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:09 am

lixx wrote:Honestly I really hate the pound sterling- us dollar exchange rate. It's not as bad as it used to be but combine it with the exorbitant Royal Postage rates (not the sellers fault really)
Wouldn't it be nice to have a proper trade deal between UK and USA so we can easily buy and sell to each other without ridiculous; import duty, VAT and thieving courier's 'handling fees'!

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:44 am

The rates at the moment makes buying from Europe much more attractive, Germany in particular as they seem to have very cheap postage. Cheaper than UK in some cases! Sellers seem to vary their shipping prices pretty drastically though, nearly bought something from a Dutch seller the other day until he demanded 20 euro for shipping.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:10 am

Traffic Cone wrote:that does depend on the country though. for example, most Dutch sellers charge the same price for 8 or 9 records as 1 (it's about 9 euros for 0 to 2 kg).
Sorry I meant sending from here. You can send 1-10 records to a UK address for the same price, but only 2 overseas before it starts increasing.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:51 am

It was the same with DJ equipment. £800 mixers went up by £300/400.