Ravestory: a book hard to find...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
PJ BreakBob
Regular
Regular

Ravestory: a book hard to find...

Post by PJ BreakBob » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:20 pm

We all should know (and read) "State of Bass" "Altered State" and "All Crews..."(my favourite) but did anyone came across "Ravestory: The Birth of a Nation" ? It lays on the top of these "rare" books, with prices going from £250 on Amazon to £500 on some other sites!
It's written by dj & promoter from New Generation named Otiz F. Angel.He have produced few wicked EP's in 91-92 on Micro Genetic Records and started to organise Electrybe parties in London and beyond between 91-97. This guy knew scene inside-out and his autobiography must have be bloody interesting! Problem is where to find this book. Maybe my local WHSmith might source it, lol ? I will ask at the counter "that RaveStory book, about music,sex,drugs and gangs, can you order one please mate" ? No?
But seriously I would like to know if it's ever a digital copy available somewhere...Here's the link to the book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravestory-Birth ... rebirth+of

stringz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Ravestory: a book hard to find...

Post by stringz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:01 am

The book sounds interesting. I never went to any of the electrybe events bitd, I had the flyers which I remember well as they seemed to have a really different take on the scene from everyone else but at the time I think it went a bit over my head. I suppose it was too under ground for me back then, which I regret now as I'm sure the electrybe events bypassed a lot of the attitude that was way too much part of the mainstream raves.

stringz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stringz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:02 am

The early releases on their label are wicked.

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:30 pm

Mmm i like a good read..i,ll be on the hunt for a copy now :)

LOON-E

PJ BreakBob
Regular
Regular

Post by PJ BreakBob » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:22 am

Just finished book, took only few days but will be back to it for sure,educational, very well and wittily written - This book should hit the big screen (and Danny Boyle would be perfect director,lol) - so very recommended!!!
If you come across cheap copy (mine was under fiver, not £100 or £50 they ask) DO NOT HESTITATE - BUY IT !!!

stringz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stringz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Reading this now. Its pretty interesting (though eccentrically stylised) but there are so many chronological errors it makes you question the guys validity. it feels like he's trying to place himself more at the centre of things than he actually was.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:56 pm

Agreed, a good read for certain and I'd love to hear more stories from the guy. Aside from the strange chronology though, the way it is written feels like it has been shaped into an cliche hollywood movie, where at every turn he is the perfect hero and others around him are the villains who always end up defeated crying out why they ever would have doubted or stood against him.

Especially the later stories, for instance when he goes off to play some other country (can't remember where now), and someone dares to write an article questioning who he is / what the style of music he is playing is and why there's no info about it on the internet, he phrases is as a sinister smear campaign to destroy him by evil scumbags or something.

I don't doubt he did some great parties and the bank vault parties sound nice, also I personally dig the micro genetic recs releases a lot :)

stringz wrote:Reading this now. Its pretty interesting (though eccentrically stylised) but there are so many chronological errors it makes you question the guys validity. it feels like he's trying to place himself more at the centre of things than he actually was.

PJ BreakBob
Regular
Regular

Post by PJ BreakBob » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:54 am

Yes it was in my native country Poland.