Photek/Truper Box Set from Basement

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
electric tribe
He never locked his car door

Re: Photek/Truper Box Set from Basement

Post by electric tribe » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:51 am

Just got the email saying they have arrived and being sent out from Monday the 21st.

Interesting couple of points though that they are no longer doing the photek slipmatts and that they also can't use the name Photek.

Should we take it then that Photek has potentially very little involvement in this?

Bit of a shame if so and those street beats slipmatts are so plain.. will have to sell mine. If anyone just wants the slips let me know.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:12 pm

He is doing movie scores now I think he has bigger fish to fry! Photek is such a hero to me, one my most admired musicians ever given where he came from and where he is now. Would like to buy this pack but I find the price off putting.
Last edited by rage on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianBadonde
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by BrianBadonde » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:17 pm

electric tribe wrote:
Bit of a shame if so and those street beats slipmatts are so plain.. will have to sell mine. If anyone just wants the slips let me know.
I'll nab them mate

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:38 am

As with my IP being used without permission on his last release(s) - which I'm still waiting to be notified how and when I will be paid - I have little confidence of this being handled professionally... not being able to use the name says a lot.

I know you fellas like to collect this stuff, but I would personally prefer you not to support petty thieves.

electric tribe wrote:Just got the email saying they have arrived and being sent out from Monday the 21st.

Interesting couple of points though that they are no longer doing the photek slipmatts and that they also can't use the name Photek.

Should we take it then that Photek has potentially very little involvement in this?

Ric

Post by Ric » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:01 am

This whole thing sucks arse. Seems like everyone is getting ripped off here.
I won't be buying this

electric tribe

Post by electric tribe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:02 pm

BrianBadonde wrote:
electric tribe wrote:
I'll nab them mate
Sure no problem. Let you know when they come through.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:46 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:As with my IP being used without permission on his last release(s) - which I'm still waiting to be notified how and when I will be paid - I have little confidence of this being handled professionally... not being able to use the name says a lot.

I know you fellas like to collect this stuff, but I would personally prefer you not to support petty thieves.

electric tribe wrote:Just got the email saying they have arrived and being sent out from Monday the 21st.

Not interested in this at all, the price alone is off putting and I would imagine the quality of this product would not be to the highest standard possible. I have also heard that Phil has had trouble opening up his Record shop in Weymouth due to lease agreements etc. It just all sounds a bit too dodgy.

Ron I'm sure I speak for everyone here that I hope you are able to find the time to release some of your work in vinyl format in the not too distant future.

INSISTO
New User
New User

Post by INSISTO » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:27 pm

silky wrote:Ron I'm sure I speak for everyone here that I hope you are able to find the time to release some of your work in vinyl format in the not too distant future.
Ha ha, not quite everyone although I def concur with the sentiment. It would make my year if Ron just released them digitally on Bandcamp. Whether they would need mastering or not is unknown but I'm pretty sure there are perfectly adequate more affordable alternatives to Metropolis etc these days, even people on this forum who could do the work. Bandcamp is a really low hassle and low cost way to get lossless quality digital out there. It baffles me why so many people from back in the day seem intent on going to all the hassle of setting up their own webshop that usually works poorly and then unsurprisingly closes after a few months when the sales don't cover the outlay.

I still buy vinyl but only when lossless digital or CD isn't available. I get the impression that if more artists from BITD realised there is a comparatively easy middle ground between big bucks/hassles for a vinyl run and getting all technical setting up a webshop to sell shite quality mp3's for the "iPod generation" that you end up resenting as a "necessary evil".

Its obvious Ron has a lot of other commitments these days which is understandable so I'd hate for him to think the only way that the fans want his music back out there again is on vinyl. There are much easier ways. Promoting it, selling it and controlling all of that is so much easier these days especially on Bandcamp. It's a no brainer for independent artists. I would also imagine he wouldn't have to just sell the files at standard iTunes prices either. I personally have no real problem paying 2.99 or similar for a lossless track now and again. It retains that element of selectiveness for me just like with vinyl where you have to choose the best instead of buying everything. Nearly all of his material is widely regarded as some of the best in its genre so I'm am sure he could make it pay.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 pm

[/quote]Nearly all of his material is widely regarded as some of the best in its genre so I'm am sure he could make it pay.[/quote]

Unfortunately i don't think anybody can make decent pay from oldskool. Its gotta be for the love.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:43 pm

The main problem I have is that I would need to 're-make' any chosen tracks with meticulous quality. I'm unable to offer fast, cheap fodder to people who frankly deserve a whole lot better.

Unfortunately quality requires both time and will power, which are both rare commodities.

;-)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:41 am

Seen lots of comments about this over the last few days on Facebook/Discogs etc implying that Photek indeed isn't getting a cut of this. I must admit although I'm happy to own it, I feel a little dirty having paid £60 for it and 0% going to the artist. I assumed that the high price was due to the licensing cost as Photek is massive these days, that's why I sometimes have to slightly increase the price of my own vinyl releases. But to charge £60 for a 3x12" album (£20 per record!) is an absolute pisstake if none of the money is going to the artist IMO.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:17 am

dj jedi wrote:Seen lots of comments about this over the last few days on Facebook/Discogs etc implying that Photek indeed isn't getting a cut of this. I must admit although I'm happy to own it, I feel a little dirty having paid £60 for it and 0% going to the artist. I assumed that the high price was due to the licensing cost as Photek is massive these days, that's why I sometimes have to slightly increase the price of my own vinyl releases. But to charge £60 for a 3x12" album (£20 per record!) is an absolute pisstake if none of the money is going to the artist IMO.
To release anything without written permission and proper accounting to the copyright owner is theft, simple as that... nobody with an ounce of self respect and respect for others would even consider doing so.

And thieving off of so called 'friends' is the lowest you can sink as a human.

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:43 pm

dj jedi wrote:Seen lots of comments about this over the last few days on Facebook/Discogs etc implying that Photek indeed isn't getting a cut of this. I must admit although I'm happy to own it, I feel a little dirty having paid £60 for it and 0% going to the artist. I assumed that the high price was due to the licensing cost as Photek is massive these days, that's why I sometimes have to slightly increase the price of my own vinyl releases. But to charge £60 for a 3x12" album (£20 per record!) is an absolute pisstake if none of the money is going to the artist IMO.
We all do our releases at £10 a copy with the artists getting paid upfront for a licence
I really want The Truper boxset, but £60 is too much, especially reading that

Considering Will just released a triple pack of Skanna tracks for £30, it puts this into perspective

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:09 pm

Yep feeling kinda bad now its all out in the open. It does put me off buying future stuff from the seller.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 am

Hi,

Surely, if Parkes own's the rights to his material, then all he need do is sue, right?

Having said that, its only 18k, so after costs, more like 10k... Not worth it...

There is a 2nd triple-album, so I wonder if that is still coming out?