Ever had a named DJ live near you?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Ever had a named DJ live near you?

Post by rage » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:42 am

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:46 am

I don't live in London any more so have no reason to be protective over it, but anybody that thinks there are more shit areas than good areas in zone 1 and 2 (eg Central London, I'm not talking about the outskirts) hasn't spent much time exploring. I'm sure if everyone started saying Birmingham was a shit-hole and every road is like that Benefits Street program that is filmed there, you'd be offended.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:08 am

c_funk wrote:Do you realise what a snob you sound? Jesus christ. Gimme normal working class people over pretentious keeping up with the Jones' everytime!
We are possibly in danger of making too much of this.

I agree with the statement above but that isn't purely territorial, that's also about personalities.

What I love is what I call 'simple rural folk'... these people are so friendly trusting, helpful and accommodating. They are of course completely un-streetwise and this gives them a kind of charm. I know people who don't ever lock their houses and cars... I find that baffling but it's their way of life.

Rural village pubs have an amazing buzz and people come out every night, love it.

;-)

It's just so chilled and safe around where I am.

London is one of the greatest capital cities in the World to spend time in, but I just can't live there anymore, now I've seen there's another way to exist.

I consider myself very lucky to be from London as that's where I picked up my life skills and culture, but the polar opposite has similar benefits albeit less transferable - as in, you go from a city to the sticks with an advantage and you probably do the reverse with some life skills disadvantage.

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:17 am

I've seen both sides as grew up in the country & still live there now. However, I have lived in cities in between including London for a couple of years. Personally I had a great time in London, it took a few months to adjust to the pace though ! I think half of it is what you make it, I suppose I spent a lot of time in MVE and 2nd hand record shops at the time - I guess I wouldn't be doing that so much now if I lived there. But it wasn't just that - it was the fact that there was so much going on & could always meet up with friends and go for drinks somewhere, go and see a band, visit some famous places etc. I really enjoyed running around Regents/Hyde park too & wandering up to Camden, stuff like that. Like I said, i think it is what you make it - I know loads of people who lived there & they never went out and did anything even though it was on their doorstep. I quite liked the diversity of the areas too.

Having said that, I'm quite happy back in the countryside now as there are fantastic places to go cycling/running with great views and I guess I am quite used to this slower pace of life now. Maybe I would find it hard to go back to London, but I wouldn't dismiss the idea.

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:33 am

BACK 2 TOPIC PLS

seem to have wandered off onto a class/area thing.

Pls take this to OFF TOPIC if you want to continue along those lines.

thx

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:56 am

lentrix wrote:BACK 2 TOPIC PLS

seem to have wandered off onto a class/area thing.

Pls take this to OFF TOPIC if you want to continue along those lines.

thx
Fair enough..

DJ Carrot Cruncher and MC Farmhand live just down the lane.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:20 am

c_funk wrote:Do you realise what a snob you sound? Jesus christ. Gimme normal working class people over pretentious keeping up with the Jones' everytime!

I look after my son full time at the minute and somtimes I walk up to Balham and Clapham (which are very well to do areas) for some childrens group amd I go mad with some of the shit I over hear from the posh mums, I cannot wait to get back to another childrens centre in one of these so called 'dives'.

Well to do areas with every high street looking the same, chain restaurants or shops, all carbon copy people everywhere. Nah i'm alright I will stick with the 'dives' with all their independent and family run businesses thanks.

You still haven't defined what your 'dive' actually is? Do you mean poor people? colourful people? I really hope not.
I also have lived in a posh area before and I couldnt stand a lot of the people around me, personally I felt they had all their priorities in life completely wrong.

Another point that was well made earlier is the one regarding London is what you make of it. This is so true. As an example, I admit Streatham had a bad rep in the 70's and 80's, but for us personally it meant we got more property for our money when we bought it before all the prices went through the roof, I have a lovely common 3 mins from my doorstep with a beautiful art deco swimming lido in it. Tooting is a 15 min walk down the road which has some of the best curry houses in London and the UK. If you go the other way theres Brixton which I love going to to buy fresh fish and for the nighlife. Also within 15 min walk from me I have 3 overground train stations a tube station and countless bus routes so getting out of my 'dive' is not problem. Sorry to ramble on but you talk about London when obivously you know anything about it.
Far from it. I grew up in one of THE WORST areas in Birmingham, and now I live in possibly the best.

I've seen it all, and I prefer living in the latter-type areas.

Brixton is a dive. I was there on Saturday and it was like a zoo. I can see why people are drawn to it, but I'd hate to live there. Again, each to there own.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:30 am

And to be fair, it's sounds like you lived a sheltered life in Kent...

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:01 pm

sorry Lentrix last one from me off topic here,

You don't know fuck all Restless you act like you do but youre full of shit just like your view on people that still go out in their 30's. Why was Brixton a Zoo? you need to choose your words more carefully because that to me is verging on sounding like something else. You still havent told me what a 'dive' is?

You dont know fuck all about me old boy, not sure about sheltered but I grew up in a council estate for a few years and my family was on the verge of being homeless at one point.

Ron you are talking sense I agree with you, I had a shitty experience with people in a locals pub in a village a couple of weeks back, as you say theres good and bad everywhere, just dismissing an entire City as a dive is completely retarded.

Sorry Lentrix thats my piece finished ;)

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:17 pm

1) Dive: Somewhere which is/was rife with crime, has louts hanging around the street, isn't safe at night (or day) and is usually associated with bad press.

You do know about Brixton's history for crime, right?

2) YOU are getting it twisted, you tool. A zoo, not as in racism, but in terms of how chaotic it was. Stop trying to force an agenda.

Me old boy? Have a day off, you pleb.

Son, I was going out at 14 and even then I'd look at people who were 30/35 and think 'god that looks sad' + to that I done it all by the time i was 23 + to that that there's blokes in their 40's talking about being pilled up (100% they are bums) and that's why my opinion on that matter is what it is.

Not everyone has to admire dives, still go out at 35 etc.

stringz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stringz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Having lived in both,London and the sticks have many great things to recommend them. I now live in watford which doesnt.

thumbzo
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by thumbzo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:26 pm

RonWellsJS wrote: Fair enough..

What about these guys?

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Most of the original RAM Records crew also lived near me.

New Decade : Out of Romford was also round the corner.

Not forgeting quite a few of the Boogie Times cru.

Uncle Dugs also lives local to me .

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:46 pm

thumbzo wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote: Fair enough..

What about these guys?
LOL.

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Restless your description for a dive in your eyes then could be used to describe any large built up urban area in the country then surely? Nearly every person I know would hang around the streets when they were younger with nowhere better to go are you telling me you never did? I don't know of anywhere near me that is unsafe at night or day. Infact I had more trouble in the town I am originally from than all my years going out in London. You sound like a Daily Mail enthusiast. I am quite aware of Brixton's past but I try not to worry and scare as much as you then and just try and see the good bits of the city which are plentiful and far outweigh the bad parts for me.

I could waste my time breaking down your sweeping generalisations and simplistic cliched views but I cant be arsed to be honest, I always wondered if you might be a bit of a simpleton from your silly posts and senseless repetition of the same tired questions and threads, your views here are only confirming it for me. Maybe that going out at 14 has done you some kind of damage?

Anyways to round it off im done here with this forum, to be honest it had its day years ago and I still kept popping back in again in the hope it was having a renaissance but generally all I saw was your verbal diarrhoea and that has been the final nail in the coffin for me. You will only have yourself to talk to at some point in the future so you can be right all you want then!

Good Luck Restless! x

Lataz old boy