Ikea Kallax

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular

Ikea Kallax

Post by Eyeski3000 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm not sure if anyone's posted a thread on this (Feel free to point and laugh if there is), but has anyone bought one for their setup/records? It looks thinner all round and weighs less then the original unit.

When I move back into my flat, I will change my setup a bit to fit some mixing speakers. At the moment I have the 2x4 Expedit. My SL's and M2 take up most of the room and leave only 4 inches at either side of the unit top. I'm thinking of getting the new Kallax 2x2 and spacing 2 of them apart and putting a mixer in the middle between the units with one deck on each unit if you get what I mean.

Well, that's the idea... :cool:

Cool

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Ikea Kallax

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi,

Be careful with stacking multiple levels of vinyl on a floor in a flat. The weight of 4-6 levels of vinyl is VERY heavy

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed May 20, 2015 3:51 pm

@ Eyeski - Yes. I'm pretty gutted about the decrease in size as I have one Kallax and 3/4 Expedits and now it looks odd.

I put roughly 45 pieces of vinyl in each cube and then move on. Ramming them out could cause problems.

Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular

Post by Eyeski3000 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:23 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

Be careful with stacking multiple levels of vinyl on a floor in a flat. The weight of 4-6 levels of vinyl is VERY heavy
Cheers Gyr8. I only have around 500 vinyl anyways and the extra lightness from the Kallax could help. I'm already in the process of selling some of my keyboards to save space and weight. I'm going for a half rack and two keyboard setup, plus my sl's :biggrin:
Restless wrote:@ Eyeski - Yes. I'm pretty gutted about the decrease in size as I have one Kallax and 3/4 Expedits and now it looks odd.

I put roughly 45 pieces of vinyl in each cube and then move on. Ramming them out could cause problems.
Yeah, I hear you man... I'll have to get rid of the expedit and put that in the living room. I was gonna doing something like this, but without the top board, just hanging the mixer on top between the edges at the same level as the decks.

I think the vinyl would be fine because the longer boards going along the horizontal work best for the 2x2 units and should keep the vinyl nice and safe. What do you think of the build of the Kallax?

Cheers

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed May 20, 2015 7:33 pm

Eyeski3000 wrote:
dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

Cheers Gyr8. I only have around 500 vinyl anyways and the extra lightness from the Kallax could help. I'm already in the process of selling some of my keyboards to save space and weight. I'm going for a half rack and two keyboard setup, plus my sl's :biggrin:
Restless wrote:@ Eyeski - Yes. I'm pretty gutted about the decrease in size as I have one Kallax and 3/4 Expedits and now it looks odd.

Yeah, I hear you man... I'll have to get rid of the expedit and put that in the living room. I was gonna doing something like this, but without the top board, just hanging the mixer on top between the edges at the same level as the decks.

I think the vinyl would be fine because the longer boards going along the horizontal work best for the 2x2 units and should keep the vinyl nice and safe. What do you think of the build of the Kallax?

Cheers
That's a smart set-up, mate. Really tidy!

With regards to the build - Could be better. It's sleek in design, but I prefer the Expedit myself.

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:08 pm

I've got some of both, I didn't risk the 4x4 Kallax so went with 4x2's instead.

They do the job, when they're bottom weighted with records they're sturdy enough (I wouldn't say rock-solid, but no fears of them collapsing) - but they still don't feel as sturdy as Expedit overall.

I put about 60-70 records in each cube and that doesn't feel excessive.

pinhead1000
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pinhead1000 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:59 pm

ive got 2 4x2 expedits and i think they look more sturdy than the new kallax

BrianBadonde
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by BrianBadonde » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:06 am

Kallax here.. Fixed to the walls. I wouldn't have them free standing

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:01 am

BrianBadonde wrote:Kallax here.. Fixed to the walls. I wouldn't have them free standing

Nice set-up, mate! ;-)

Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular

Post by Eyeski3000 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:05 pm

Oh cool, Brian. Nice deck stand!

lixx
Regular
Regular

Post by lixx » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Really? I have the largest Expedit (5 x 5- 25 cubes) and I have at least close to 100 records in each cube (for the bottom 20 cubes). On top 5 cubes I have heavy textbooks from college. I've had this thing 8 years and have even dis-assembled and re-assembled it (move) and it's still a rock. Is the Kallax that much weaker?

I presume now I need to literally go knock on wood (well particle board) in the hopes I haven't jinxed myself into disaster!

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:55 pm

lixx wrote:

Really? I have the largest Expedit (5 x 5- 25 cubes) and I have at least close to 100 records in each cube (for the bottom 20 cubes). On top 5 cubes I have heavy textbooks from college. I've had this thing 8 years and have even dis-assembled and re-assembled it (move) and it's still a rock. Is the Kallax that much weaker?

I presume now I need to literally go knock on wood (well particle board) in the hopes I haven't jinxed myself into disaster!
Ha! Well not catastrophic problems (I hope!), it's just with the decrease in size something has to give, right?