cart/tonearm movement - bad pressings ?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door

cart/tonearm movement - bad pressings ?

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue May 12, 2015 9:42 pm

This has probably been covered before but can't remember.

Currently sorting out my tunes, a small handful (20 out of 600 so far apprx) cause an annoying cart/tonearm swaying motion from left to right which makes the record sound out of tune badly.

Is this down to poor pressing / off-centre pressing & will all copies of that tune be affected in the same way ? Or, is it just the batch that were pressed at that time ? What if there was a 500 only run of them ? In many cases, one side plays perfect and the other is unplayable which is irritating !

It happened on a Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era - Far Out i had, but another copy was absolutely fine, but i have no idea if they were from the same batch of pressings or not (assuming not).

dj jedi

Re: cart/tonearm movement - bad pressings ?

Post by dj jedi » Wed May 13, 2015 8:57 am

It's on off centre pressing, and not all copies will necessarily be like it, it just means the metalworked slipped at some point during the pressing. On a small run that obviously means all copies could be affected, but I have had several major tracks (eg Trip to Trumpton) that I managed to find straight copies of.

If you don't mind sacrificing whichever side of the record you like less, you can fix it by filing the hole in the direction of the wobble and then filling in the gap with paper.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:39 am

Hi,

Over the years I've simply tried to replace all vinyl that have this issue.

Personally it is a real hate thing for me, and when playing out, if set up not quite right, even a small off centre can cause skip.

Sometimes you only notice if piano, string, vocal section.

As Ed says, you can easily fix it, but it means the other side will be out...

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Wed May 13, 2015 12:21 pm

dj jedi wrote:It's on off centre pressing, and not all copies will necessarily be like it, it just means the metalworked slipped at some point during the pressing. On a small run that obviously means all copies could be affected, but I have had several major tracks (eg Trip to Trumpton) that I managed to find straight copies of.

If you don't mind sacrificing whichever side of the record you like less, you can fix it by filing the hole in the direction of the wobble and then filling in the gap with paper.
Ok cheers, i don't think i'll bother fixing it like that - so far it has not happened on any really rare tunes so it will be easier just to replace them. It is frustrating though, I wish I'd been more switched on BITD when buying tunes from the shops and checking for that kind of thing - although some would have been mail order too. It is also a problem when buying from ebay as the tune may well be listed as EX/Near Mint and be spotless - but the seller decided not to mention the dodgy pressing which renders it useless.
dj_gyr8 wrote: Over the years I've simply tried to replace all vinyl that have this issue.
Yes, in the process of doing just that.
dj_gyr8 wrote: Sometimes you only notice if piano, string, vocal section.
Agree, if its just beats/breaks then it doesn't matter so much. As soon as any type of String/piano section is on in isolation, then it sounds awful !

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed May 13, 2015 4:04 pm

Yeah it's annoying, I've replaced loads that have the problem but still got quite a few as well. Like you say it may be sold as a mint tune but can be ruined by this depending on what track it is. I had a lovely mint Music For Da People remix that I had to replace because it sounded so bad towards the end of the track, the strings and pianos going out of tune, nasty! Same with Untouchables Njoi This b side Don't Be Afraid, the one I have now is not as good condition but at least sounds like it should. Usually you'll find a good one eventually but not always, Cool Hand Flex Hold Back seems to be one where all the copies I've seen have been off to a varying extent. Sometimes you can't hear it, in which case I just deal with it!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed May 13, 2015 5:02 pm

rage wrote:Cool Hand Flex Hold Back seems to be one where all the copies I've seen have been off to a varying extent.
Just checked mine and it does wobble a couple of mm, not enough to affect the sound though. Since when has this been a £15+ record!? It's funny how all these bargain bin '93 tracks on labels like De Underground are now becoming expensive since everybody has been going mad for jungle.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed May 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Yeah the copy I have now is about that too, not as bad as my old one but you couldn't hear it on that either. As a general rule anything under a couple of mm isn't worth fussing about. Any more and you can really start to hear it.

Yeah all that In Touch / De Underground stuff seems quite pricey now. Great label! I reckon Ibiza will be the next penny label to start going crazy, been unappreciated for too long!

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed May 13, 2015 9:45 pm

Half the Strictly Underground label was like that :lol:

Hackney Hardcore / M-d-emm

I reckon I got about 4 tunes off that label that cannot handle the bass vs the pressing.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu May 14, 2015 11:09 am

dj jedi wrote: Just checked mine and it does wobble a couple of mm, not enough to affect the sound though. Since when has this been a £15+ record!? It's funny how all these bargain bin '93 tracks on labels like De Underground are now becoming expensive since everybody has been going mad for jungle.
oh that tune's been £15-odd for many years...i only know that because it was among the first big lot of proper oldskool i bought and i've toyed with selling it a few times over the years at times of critical skintness. and that was about the going rate :) (i still have it though!)

i would say it's one of the very few on those labels which is more expensive. probably because (IMO) it's the best one \:D/ Mars remix is probably the other £10+ one. or Your Risk.

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Fri May 15, 2015 10:43 am

I wonder if certain pressing plants were worse than others ? I went through a load of Kniteforce 1996 stuff last night (Special Edition remixes, Kniteforce 2nd album etc) & annoyingly a lot of them suffer from this problem.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri May 15, 2015 10:59 am

the record i had the worst problem with this, was this obscure Easygroove classic: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Psychoac ... ase/134368

sure enough the tune i really liked off it (Kanata - Soul) sounded just too out of tune to enjoy :( And I'm not sure whether to buy another if it might be like that also...

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri May 15, 2015 11:07 am

Traffic Cone wrote:the record i had the worst problem with this, was this obscure Easygroove classic: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Psychoac ... ase/134368

sure enough the tune i really liked off it (Kanata - Soul) sounded just too out of tune to enjoy :( And I'm not sure whether to buy another if it might be like that also...
Try and get hold of either a test press or promo if the full release is off centre (or vice versa if you have a test press/promo that is off centre.) Unless the metalwork itself is off centre then you stand a good chance of getting a straight copy as they are obviously pressed completely separately.

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Fri May 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:the record i had the worst problem with this, was this obscure Easygroove classic: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Psychoac ... ase/134368

Pretty sure my copy is fine, but i will double check when I find it. Probably just bad luck.

I will have to check my copy of Cool Hand Flex - Hold Back , as it sounds like it could be another candidate.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri May 15, 2015 2:13 pm

dj jedi wrote:

Try and get hold of either a test press or promo if the full release is off centre (or vice versa if you have a test press/promo that is off centre.) Unless the metalwork itself is off centre then you stand a good chance of getting a straight copy as they are obviously pressed completely separately.
Yep great advice, if I've seen a couple of release copies with the same problem I'll try and find a promo. Hold Back being an exception as I love the purple label hehe.

Thumpson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Thumpson » Mon May 18, 2015 8:17 am

I've had 2 copies of this, one was off but one was perfectly fine