Who was the first 'A list' DJ you ever saw live?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj jedi

Who was the first 'A list' DJ you ever saw live?

Post by dj jedi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm not 100% sure but for me it was either Slipmatt or Ratpack in mid '93 at one of the In-Ter-Dance Under 18 events at Poole Arts Centre. They put on weekly events through the summer that year and I went to a few so I can't remember exactly which event was which, but I definitely saw those two. The events also featured lots of the well known local DJs such as Dance, Dream, MC Shadow, X-Cess etc, but I'm just interested in the top tier.

Unfortunately I can't recall any tracks either of them played. I remember the layout well (as I've been there many times since) and that they had bouncy boxing and a Venus fly trap wall!

Who was yours if you remember, and what was it like?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Who was the first 'A list' DJ you ever saw live?

Post by Restless » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:10 pm

Hardcore - Easygroove.

He was absolutely RIPPING up Flashback to bits when I saw him. He was spot on that night.

There seemed to be a time around the really early 00's where he was blowing the gaff wide open wherever he played.

Non Hardcore - John Digweed.

One of the best sets I've ever heard. House music at it's best, vibe was electric. Pure blackness with the slightest touch of light, thousands of ravers. It genuinely felt how those 1988/1989 Acid Raves looked/felt.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Depends on your definition. The first dj I saw live was Bass Generator, who would be A list in Scotland but not in the UK.

The first of the usual England dj's would be Hixxy. And if it's the dj's who were A list back in the early 90s then it would be Hype.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Good point actually Restless, I'm not sure I can remember who the first non-hardcore A lister I saw was. Again, depends on definition...if it's A list in their own genre then it would be Chris Liberator. If it's genuine A list then I think it was Pete Tong at Homelands 2000. Was he any good?

He was actually!

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Dj Sy and Ellis Dee, Interdance under 18s rave at Sterns late 92 if I remeber right. Was blinding, had Sy @ Obsession playing in the coach on the way!

First time I got mashed was DJ Fallout at Rhythm Station, she was darker than it is ladylike to be!

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Ramos at a under 18's one off night in my local area called dreamworld. It was dead but i was lovin it!

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Paul Zykotik wrote:Good point actually Restless, I'm not sure I can remember who the first non-hardcore A lister I saw was. Again, depends on definition...if it's A list in their own genre then it would be Chris Liberator. If it's genuine A list then I think it was Pete Tong at Homelands 2000. Was he any good?

He was actually!
Homelands was amazing in that time period. Went every year

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Richruffcut wrote:Ramos at a under 18's one off night in my local area called dreamworld. It was dead but i was lovin it!
I went to the Dreamworld raves around Weymouth i even still have the flyers!! Did you go to Futureland??

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Was DJ Slipmatt at Futureland Weymouth... Also Ramos with MC Marley,X Cite and X Cess played .. I also went to another Futureland rave but DJ SY never turned up.. I still to this day wonder if Sy was even booked ummmm

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Slipmatt, Easygroove & Top Buzz at Fantazia NYE 91/92. They were the main DJ's I wanted to see, hadn't really heard of Ratty or DJ Sy at the time.

Went to a few party's before this but was never really aware who was DJ'ing.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Thrash wrote:Slipmatt, Easygroove & Top Buzz at Fantazia NYE 91/92. They were the main DJ's I wanted to see, hadn't really heard of Ratty or DJ Sy at the time.

Went to a few party's before this but was never really aware who was DJ'ing.
Nice! Which DJ's stood out for you at that rave? Was it a good rave?

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Restless wrote:
Thrash wrote:Nice! Which DJ's stood out for you at that rave? Was it a good rave?
Only Easygroove really stood out at the time as all the music was mental, regardless of who was DJ'ing. His set was miles faster & harder than anyone else though & it was intense. Particularly as the music was really fast anyway at the time, not like now with 20 odd years of hindsight & miles faster BPM genres making many 91 tunes seem quite pedestrian.

Slipmatt was on when we first got in, remember Lee Gee but didn't know it was him until buying the tape a few weeks later, thought it was still Slipmatt on the night. Apart from that, just flash memories of various parts of the night. Don't really remember much of Top Buzz even though it was the last set. I was fucked before getting in so most of it is a blur or just no memory at all lol.

It was also my first legal rave & NYE so yeah it was crazy. Best night I'd ever had at the time but looking back it wasn't as good as some other events I went to.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Ha! How busy was it? Good atmosphere?

Thanks for the reply! ;-)

wigster
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by wigster » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Ratty for me late 93 at a rave called Retaliate one of my older mates put on in Bedworth. Also had Shock C, LJ High and Man Parris there if I remember rightly.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Restless wrote:Ha! How busy was it? Good atmosphere?

Thanks for the reply! ;-)
It was rammed & I'd never seen anything on that scale before. Couldn't believe how many people were already in the place already when we got in about half 10 I think? Really hot too once you got into the thick of it. The atmosphere didn't stand out particularly other than it was NYE, most raves were the usual drone of whistles, some dudes whoopin' it up on the mic & bass that shook your rib cage.