Re: Your music choices after the scene had died..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am

So, after '93, where "Hardcore" - or if you're my age ("Old-Skool") is finished, what other genres did you get into?

Did you get into any other genre that was on-par or even surpassed your love for Hardcore? Or was it a case of nothing came close to what you got out of Hardcore, so you stuck with it?

Me personally, the 90's (from the start until the end), would have been very f*cking expensive as I loved most genres from that era. But then again, there's a ton of people that just didn't wanna know about anything after 1992.. Was you that guy or not?

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:36 pm

I liked Hardcore from 94-96, a few decent tracks from 97 then it went downhill really fast from there.Nowdays am listening/buying alot of hard acid techno.Chris liberator, the geezer, DDR etc.It gets maybe 2-3 vinyl releases per month so perfect for me to keep up with.

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm mid 94 I started buying house & garage.....alot of hardcore producers were making it with breakbeats still
I hated happy hardcore, every jungle record sounded like dred bass or had way over the top cut up Amens for soooo long lol

The last few records I bought from the scene was SMD#4, a few infra red & early V Recordings
I didn't really either hardcore/jungle scenes after 1994

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Circa'93:

I moved into progressive house initially.. my second favourite genre of music :D
- but always kept buying anything decent breaks-wise

Always bought techno both during before & after hardcore.

I never really liked jungle / drum & bass enough to listen to just a few records.... a whole set comprising just of that would bore me to death tbh.

Hardhouse kinda followed the progressive - HardHands / Tripoli Trax / Prolekult

I guess I liked some of the early big-beat stuff but much prefer the breaks that got released later - Fuel Records / Marine Parade / Skint Records / Whole9Yards.

Also worth a mention -> Bushwackas' Plank Records - > some phenomenal releases on that label. Got in to quite a bit of electro/tech house at around this time too.

Then nu-skool breaks (re?)emerged.. though I did get very quickly bored of some of the generic noises it seemed to employ in its' production.

---> the current state of affairs is I merely buy old records I discover now (strictly hardcore!) & the represses u lovely lot occasionally dish out :D ;)

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: Re: Your music choices after the scene had died..

Post by AtomSmasher » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Stopped buying DnB in early 1995 I think. I was mainly listening to house after then.
I stopped buying anything new until about 1998 when I started buying breaks after going to 'Friction' a couple of times - Same sort of stuff as Pineappletribe really: Marine Parade, Plank, Botchit & Scarper, TCR, anything I could get my hands on. A bit of 'big beat' as well (London Funk All-Stars, stuff on Skint, etc.)
Randomly I also started buying a bit of French-style house, but got bored of that pretty quickly.
From around 2000 > 2006 I was all over Breaks......

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 pm

The scene never died it just changed and evolved. I kept following it through Jungle and still do with DnB! I never deviated from the path, keepin it the fuck real yo :D

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:33 pm

1992 all the way for me... Nothing change

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:40 pm

No 93?

Up until a few years ago I would have said 1992 was my favourite year hands down, but in recent years I have grown to love 93 so much, slightly faster, darker and edgier, more fun in the mix. 92 definitely more magical though. I dont think I could pick a favourite from the two any more.

CMcDougall
He never locked his car door

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Anything after 1994 just ain't hardcore, just cheese core / happy / commercial crap.

Still stuck in 1991 :lick: \:D/

but, did loose it a bit, and got into this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWRbfQW3MGs
LOL

oz

Post by oz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:38 pm

I never really noticed any real death as such until buying eq end of an era ep and thinking shit something is changing in this music. There's more beats and less rave!
I was only 13/14 and didn't really understand as I wasn't going out raving so it was just what I heard in shops and on the radio. Followed labels like sub base, formation, basement and got into new stuff like good looking recs and the intelligent scene. Around 96 started going out raving and by then it was well past its best but discovered gabba and quite liked that but never really bought any vinyl. It only sounded good when you were wasted,no way could I take it seriously straight.
Did buy some happy hardcore at this time though along with the drum and bass, which had gone into farty bass jump up style at this time. About 98 stopped buying happy hardcore as it was getting really cheesey and kept buying drum and bass. About 2000 started noticing some oldskool tunes in shops and started getting ids on old tapes that I had more or less given up on. It was a sign that the contemporary music had become so stale that it wasn't worth buying.
Went crazy with oldskool and bought about 4000 tunes in ten years. Stopped buying vinyl at such a daft amount when I moved house about five years ago. Have bought maybe one or two tunes this year, trying to catch up and enjoy all the music I bought. More than enough tbh.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:00 am

rage wrote:The scene never died it just changed and evolved. I kept following it through Jungle and still do with DnB! I never deviated from the path, keepin it the fcuk real yo :D
Same as really. Never really deviated, although I did broaden my horizons and become interested in loads of other forms of music outside of D&B and Hardcore...

Bought new D&B up until around 2010 until vinyl died out and digital mixing became the norm (I was always, and still am a collector).

I have since bought Serato earlier this year and seeing how that works out with the idea of playing a mixture of mostly electronic music. Really like the idea of what people like DJ Food etc do...

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:33 am

In terms of what I was buying as new music at the time, rather than after:

1994 - 1999: Drum & Bass
1994 - 1996: Happy Hardcore
1996 - 2000: House & Garage
1998 - 2002: Breaks
1999 - 2000: Hard House
2003 - 2008: Electro / Techno / Acid / House
2008+ Not an awful lot, just a few new records a year now.

lixx
Regular
Regular

Post by lixx » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:02 pm

It's weird prior to getting into UK hardcore I was into bands like Jesus & Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Primal Scream etc. Basically Creation records. But because of remixes of tracks by people like Weatherall I kind of got more an more in the rave scene. I went from struggling shoegazer guitarist to raver and gravitated right over. As much as I loved bands like My Bloody Valentine the allure of DJ'ing and not needing other bandmates was too tempting. Breakbeat was it for me. Never really liked house.

I basically followed hardcore to jungle to drum n bass till about 2002-03, and actually was spinning Nu Skool Breaks (TCR, Mob etc) 50/50 with DnB when I stopped. Slowly began to be tempted back by guitars with decent bands like Brian Jonestown Massacre etc. I never stopped loving guitar music just put it aside for DJ'ing. Sold my turntables because I thought DnB turned to shit but never stopped loving the older stuff and digitized a lot of my record collection. Eventually I came full circle yet again- bought turntables and most of my old records back after realizing I missed making sets for myself. Once a DJ always a DJ I guess because I got tired of saying to myself "Ohhh I'd put that track next" when listening to older sets.

My new theory is the best music has pretty much all been created already, and most new stuff no matter how good can be found in the elements of older music you might already own.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Atom Smasher - yeah spot on with those labels and pretty much that journey with the breaks & onwards... even that dodgy French house episode :lol: ;) forgot to mention Blim n all.. liked his stuff :)

Lixx - same as that also with regard to the Indie music pre&post dance music/DJ-ing. MBV are still my favourite band and I have literally on just discovered BJTM through 'Revelation' -> since bought 'Methodrone' (amazing!) / 'Take It From The Man' / 'Aufheben' :D Quality!

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:07 pm

eazyflow wrote:Really like the idea of what people like DJ Food etc do...
^^^^^
This. Been listening to Solid Steel stuff for over 10 years now. Covers everything you need to listen to these days imo.

After hardcore I went down the techno route in 1994 & would be at Final Frontier every Friday which was basically an indoor rave. Late 95 to about 97 went to all the house clubs as that's where all the birds were.

Lost interest in music after that until going to Fabric one night in 2003 which got me back into all this. :D