Which DJ's just fell off the map completely?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Which DJ's just fell off the map completely?

Post by ian saunders » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:00 am

Restless wrote:Re: Selling brands... How much would a brand like 'Uproar' go for? It was a massive name in the scene, events were always packed out (so you'll never not make money) and they had a good rep.

How much would a brand that big get sold for?
Dunno. You're only really buying a name and the goodwill.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:05 am

True, but if the name has a national profile, sells out every time and is one of THE top 2/3 brands in the scene, surely that's a license to print money providing that the scene is healthy?

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:10 am

Restless wrote:True, but if the name has a national profile, sells out every time and is one of THE top 2/3 brands in the scene, surely that's a license to print money providing that the scene is healthy?
It should be, i suppose it depends on how motivated the seller is. Dreamscape was a hige brand and that changed ownership so many times I'm not sure it was worth all that much.

I have no idea how much money big raves earn for the promoters. If you listened to the promoters you'd think that they earned fuck all for doing a sell-out event.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:20 am

Haha! Yeah they do tend to plead poverty A LOT! Yet somehow they drive around in Porsches...

I wonder how much Helter Skelter would go for? That's like THE DADDY (IMO of course) post '92/3. It was just beyond massive at one point. I still think the name holds a ton of weight too.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:33 am

Pigbag (Maswar)

hes still about and still lives hastings way, he plays out still, see him at EE last year and I think he is booked to play there tomorrow altho I wont be going as im going to Break Pirates event.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:52 am

ian saunders wrote: "So Vinylgroover, why did you release so much dross in your final year in hardcore?"
did you ever read Wax magazine? he had a reviews column in there, and would review all his own releases pretending he'd no idea who was behind them (obviously they were all under random aliases!) and someone wrote a letter in calling him out on it :D

saying that, at least he was putting tunes out. other than him, you had Next Generation and Scott Brown putting a few out but very little else. he was filling a gap - a lot of them were a bit lame and unimaginative but it was at least new tunes coming out. (and it was better than Hixxy's B-Trax stuff [-( )

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:03 am

Traffic Cone wrote:
ian saunders wrote: "So Vinylgroover, why did you release so much dross in your final year in hardcore?"
did you ever read Wax magazine? he had a reviews column in there, and would review all his own releases pretending he'd no idea who was behind them (obviously they were all under random aliases!) and someone wrote a letter in calling him out on it :D

saying that, at least he was putting tunes out. other than him, you had Next Generation and Scott Brown putting a few out but very little else. he was filling a gap - a lot of them were a bit lame and unimaginative but it was at least new tunes coming out. (and it was better than Hixxy's B-Trax stuff [-( )
The Wax stuff marks him out as being a bit of a twat, it's fine to review your own stuff if you don't do TOO many.
I did read a few issues of Wax but I couldn't get into it. I just found it weird for reasons that I'm not entirely sure of.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:06 am

Restless wrote:Haha! Yeah they do tend to plead poverty A LOT! Yet somehow they drive around in Porsches...

I wonder how much Helter Skelter would go for? That's like THE DADDY (IMO of course) post '92/3. It was just beyond massive at one point. I still think the name holds a ton of weight too.
don't you think people are less taken in by all that these days though? by that i mean people reviving famous rave "brands" (makes me cringe saying that) in the hope people'll think it'll magically take them back to those days. it's been done so often surely people must be more cynical about it?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:57 pm

To an extent, yes. But you have to remember that brands like HS are British Rave institutions. They gave a hell of a lot of people memories that will live with them forever AND they still have serious clout.

I know if they made a comeback and I saw a flyer of theirs it'd excite me in a heartbeat knowing that they are back in the game. I'd definitely go too.

Brands like that are gigantic.

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Pilgrim died out after 94 he was a top selector mixing jungke and h hardcore together
Phantasy didnt see him much aftet 94
Didnt see peshay much after 94 know he had that bad car crash
Carl cox is another he went the tekno trance route after 94
Never really rated him as a hardcore dj cant think of one set of his i ever play

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:29 am

Restless wrote: Brands like that are gigantic.
but with 90s ravers - many of whom don't go out to big raves...

i'm just amazed anyone would go to a rave just because of a name - if it's a name from the past that's been resurrected. because unless it's small and low key, they're going to have to cater for a modern audience. Fantazia are great at that. but that doesn't mean a Fantazia now would ever be like Fantazia in 1992.

most of the legendary "Brands" are products of their time, so most revivals are just a modern rave with a name attached. i don't get why anyone could suspend their disbelief and think that, say, someone putting on a Helter Skelter now would be that different from a modern rave.

are there any of these revivals that have really delivered? i've enjoyed Fantazia's I've been to - but for what they were, not because oh it's fantazia, you know?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:
Restless wrote: Brands like that are gigantic.
but with 90s ravers - many of whom don't go out to big raves...

i'm just amazed anyone would go to a rave just because of a name - if it's a name from the past that's been resurrected. because unless it's small and low key, they're going to have to cater for a modern audience. Fantazia are great at that. but that doesn't mean a Fantazia now would ever be like Fantazia in 1992.

most of the legendary "Brands" are products of their time, so most revivals are just a modern rave with a name attached. i don't get why anyone could suspend their disbelief and think that, say, someone putting on a Helter Skelter now would be that different from a modern rave.

are there any of these revivals that have really delivered? i've enjoyed Fantazia's I've been to - but for what they were, not because oh it's fantazia, you know?
I see your point, but something like Skelter would EASILY bring out many old/retired ravers. You are talking about events where THOUSANDS of people travelled the width and breadth of the country for, for many years. Look at what happens at local nights that become legendary - they kill it at reunions. Now multiply that by ten...

I remember when HS took some time off and it was "Best of British", "Raindance" etc filling that void until HS came back a year later. Needless to say I nearly shat a brick when I saw their flyers again. Sometimes things like hat are what the scene needs. Anyway, even when they did come back as "Accelerated Culture" and done the D&B events, they we some of the best D&B parties of that time and since the turn of he millennium.

Besides, It's ok to call it another rave but raves nowadays can be run-of-the-mill. If Terry Turbo came back and put on a One Nation it'd BLOW the modern day ON's out of the water. It's the original rave pioneers doing what they do best! You forget how many promoters have tried to replicate these kind of events with no luck AND how the original boys have that knack for putting on legendary events.

It's never going to be 1992 or 1996 again (I'm aware that everyone from me and you to the original rave promoter kings know this), but take Fusion for example - I was like "Whoa! Those boys are back? I MUST go to their rave!" As history tells us that their parties are fucking awesome and will always be awesome!

Never underestimate the power of a brand from days gone-by. It's like awakening a sleeping giant where done properly!

BrianBadonde
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by BrianBadonde » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:14 am

dj_gyr8 wrote:Note: "DJ GYR8" never existed before 1994, that name was only ever used for Jungle...
I have never ever heard that DJ Name around

Ever

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:54 pm

Restless wrote: It's ok to call it another rave but raves nowadays can be run-of-the-mill. If Terry Turbo came back and put on a One Nation it'd BLOW the modern day ON's out of the water. It's the original rave pioneers doing what they do best! You forget how many promoters have tried to replicate these kind of events with no luck AND how the original boys have that knack for putting on legendary events.
what do you think exactly they'd be able to do that modern promoters wouldn't?

even if it was the same people, and they had the same drive and ideas and the rest of it - they're still just operating within the scene as it is now. i think you may be overestimating how much of the magic of those raves was actually to do with the brand or the promoter, rather than just it being a well-run party at a time when everything else was great about raving.

it makes more sense i think for smaller nights, with a local following, with the same resident DJs, more low-key, intimate etc.

but a big rave - take that big Dreamscape event; even if it was being run by all the original people involved it'd still have most of the same problems with lineup, venue, tickets etc. but also the atmosphere is a product of the crowd, the music, the drugs; those have all changed a lot in 20 years! it being called "helter skelter" rather than some modern rave brand won't change that, surely?

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:26 pm

A name that tried to come back around 2002 was World Dance.

When they put on an event 92-97 - it was a must go to rave. The Lydd airport was a wicked venue and when it closed down i don't think they did another event that until 2002 (y i know they did a couple of events in docklands)

But in 2002 they tried to do a 'return of' event near Bagleys - i went and there cant of been more than a few hundred max - if a name like WD cant pull the numbers (lydd had 7k ) ........