Which DJ's just fell off the map completely?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Which DJ's just fell off the map completely?

Post by Restless » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:23 pm

dj_yt wrote:Most of the happy hardcore DJs are still going strong from what I can see? It surprises me after 20 years how many of them I can still go and see playing on a regular basis.

Vibes, Dougal, Brisk, Sy, Ramos, Jimmy J, Luna-C and Slipmatt are all still playing out. True they might not be playing 100% happy hardcore, but all of those guys were DJs long before the happy scene...

Seduction is about the only big name exception that I can think of.
Vinylgroover, Ramos & Supreme, Force... A few from that scene have fallen off, IMO. Jedi might know more/correct me being from the south coast...

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:50 pm

So what really happened to Seduction?? I heard even Slipmatt cant contact him.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:53 pm

Ramos & Supreme came back a few years ago. I remember a big USH scandal a while back was from Stormtrooper being ripped off by him? pretty typical uk hardcore really.

Vinylgroover's now a big name in hard dance i think? or something like that: http://www.scottattrill.com/ - quite funny to think of him as a trendy producer given that he's release some cheese that even my very high cheese tolerance can't take :D

I think Jimmy J has only recently started again cos he moved back to the UK?

Scott Brown went off for a while, i think because he didn't want to totally join in with the ridiculous mafia the whole HTID thing has on that scene :D (eg like letting them sell CDs of his sets with new tunes with no royalties)

i think some of those big names in happy are just so lucky they have a profile that is not in anyway related to their talent that they might as well plough on with hhc. someone like brisk or jon doe has the talent to diversify or go elsewhere, but someone like dougal (for eg) might as well stick at it while they can, really. or until rich enough to leave music entirely.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:10 pm

What was the scandal about?

Also, Royalties? Are you serious? It's HUGE exposure for the DJ!

Brisk is a bad man. I've seen him play live and he was SUPER fast on the controls, airtight mixing and ZERO cheese in his selection. Top DJ who would more than hold his own in any genre. But Dougal, yeah, let's not go there...

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:48 pm

hahaha! Scott Brown's been one of the biggest names in that scene since basically the beginning :D i doubt he needs exposure. i think it is fair that when he's releasing a compilation, say, that he doesn't want a promoter regularly releasing CDs of his sets with all his latest tunes in them.

that sort of stuff wouldn't fly at all in the european hardcore scene where he's also a known name (unlike most UK happy DJs) cos it's a lot more professional, basically :D

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:44 am

I assumed it was CD packs of raves mate. ;-)

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:53 am

It was kinda blackmail though, because HTID allegedly said that if he didn't give them permission to have his tunes on the CD packs they wouldn't book him. He told them to do one and has only started playing for them again quite recently.

Shaggy & Breeze
Pigbag
Donovan "Bad Boy Smith"
Simon "Bassline" Smith

The last two seemed to go quite quiet, but Bassline came back with the Drumsound tunes.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:54 am

that is what i meant though? i'm confused now.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:05 am

Yeah Simon Smith is/was a pretty big name in D&B. He plays for all the big boys anyway..

@ TC - That's well wrong on HTID's behalf. He might as well be playing for free! Haha.

Yeah, Vinylgroover was a big name in the Hard Dance scene, but I mean it seemed like he just disappeared altogether from Hardcore. I know he still does the odd set here and there, but I thought there'd be demand for him.
Just listening to a set of his right now (Hardcore Uproar '98) - My favourite Happy set of all time. Great set.

Food Junky was another DJ that fell off the map, IMO.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:11 am

Some DJs (Bassline Smith) managed to return.

Seduction quit in about 1999-00 (Making an ill-judged attempt to become a house DJ under the name John Seduction. Played one badly-mixed set at the Opera House in Bournemouth then quit. I remember reading an interview with him in To The Core in about 96 where he said it'd became like a job to him and most Saturdays he'd rather sit in and watch the telly than go and DJ somewhere.

He returned in 2003, put out some good tunes, but you felt he'd never really fully put his heart into it. He then stopped for good in 2010ish and said he wouldn't be returning.

This he got into property and the building trade.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:23 am

Any chance of that interview floating about on the net? I love interviews with DJ's from that era.

Didn't Seduction sell his 'Uproar' brand to HTID a few years ago too? Yeah he, to me, always comes back (or did).

I do think that if I was a big name like he was in the Oldskool scene and then went onto to a massive name in the Hardcore scene that I'd have called it a day on NYE '99. I think many people from those days should have because those 10-12 years prior were ALWAYS going to be untouchable, not to mention it'd have been fun to take a different direction in the new millennium. Christ knows that they had the money to!

What is the Hardcore scene like these days? Strong or on its knees? I used to go out around 2005-7 to HTID's and they were seriously proper top events. Are they still active or not? I'm looking at you Jedi/Traffic Cone..

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:33 am

wasn't there also an album in Japan which Seduction pocketed loads of royalties for, including those belonging to others? which is why Brisk wouldn't play at Uproar?

i think Vinylgroover might have "left the scene" acrimoniously as well. when it all fell apart at the end of the 90s VG was one of the few still trying to put out tunes (i remember it was just as i'd started to afford to go record shopping sort of regularly and it was depressing to see a handful of new releases each time which were mostly his dodgy rip-offs :D). so i guess when it revived a couple of years later, he was doing well enough in hard dance not to want to get involved in happy again. wise decision probably! i do think he's underrated as a DJ. i used to have a few sets of his which had some unexpected tunes amongst the usual stuff.

oh and i lost all interest in modern happy about 10 years ago :D i think it has declined a bit in the last year or two, and that britain's fallen into line with the rest of northern europe and cheesy mainstream gabber and hardstyle is taking its place. which is also generally terrible these days.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:34 am

Restless wrote:Any chance of that interview floating about on the net? I love interviews with DJ's from that era.

Didn't Seduction sell his 'Uproar' brand to HTID a few years ago too? Yeah he, to me, always comes back (or did).

I do think that if I was a big name like he was in the Oldskool scene and then went onto to a massive name in the Hardcore scene that I'd have called it a day on NYE '99. I think many people from those days should have because those 10-12 years prior were ALWAYS going to be untouchable, not to mention it'd have been fun to take a different direction in the new millennium. Christ knows that they had the money to!

What is the Hardcore scene like these days? Strong or on its knees? I used to go out around 2005-7 to HTID's and they were seriously proper top events. Are they still active or not? I'm looking at you Jedi/Traffic Cone..
Yeah, he sold Uproar to Hixxy / Mark Lambert.

Although I don't listen to the music anymore, or attend the events I think it's hit a slight lull again. Repeating the same mistakes of yesteryear by having a small group of DJs/producers/labels dominating everything.

I know it's wrong and stereotypical etc but I can't help but think that 90% of the ravers and DJs are just thick chavs though - sorry ;)

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:37 am

Traffic Cone wrote:wasn't there also an album in Japan which Seduction pocketed loads of royalties for, including those belonging to others? which is why Brisk wouldn't play at Uproar?

i think Vinylgroover might have "left the scene" acrimoniously as well. when it all fell apart at the end of the 90s VG was one of the few still trying to put out tunes (i remember it was just as i'd started to afford to go record shopping sort of regularly and it was depressing to see a handful of new releases each time which were mostly his dodgy rip-offs :D). so i guess when it revived a couple of years later, he was doing well enough in hard dance not to want to get involved in happy again. wise decision probably! i do think he's underrated as a DJ. i used to have a few sets of his which had some unexpected tunes amongst the usual stuff.

oh and i lost all interest in modern happy about 10 years ago :D i think it has declined a bit in the last year or two, and that britain's fallen into line with the rest of northern europe and cheesy mainstream gabber and hardstyle is taking its place. which is also generally terrible these days.

Yeah, Seduction pocketed the money, and when he returned to the scene claimed that as he owned the "worldwide rights" to the tunes, the artists weren't entitled to anything. I *think* he ended up paying some of them some money in the end.

People got fed up of Vinylgroover because it seemed like he always planned to move over to hard house, so he just rushed out a shed load of releases in order to make some quick money.

You know what, it'd be great if when these people were interviewed they were actually asked questions like this instead of asking them the same boring old toss. Obviously ask the nicey-nicey questions first so you've got an interview, then fire off the more controversial questions at the end.

"So Vinylgroover, why did you release so much dross in your final year in hardcore?"

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 am

Re: Selling brands... How much would a brand like 'Uproar' go for? It was a massive name in the scene, events were always packed out (so you'll never not make money) and they had a good rep.

How much would a brand that big get sold for?