Which DJ's just fell off the map completely?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Which DJ's just fell off the map completely?

Post by phil » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:40 pm

lentrix wrote:A name that tried to come back around 2002 was World Dance.

When they put on an event 92-97 - it was a must go to rave. The Lydd airport was a wicked venue and when it closed down i don't think they did another event that until 2002 (y i know they did a couple of events in docklands)

But in 2002 they tried to do a 'return of' event near Bagleys - i went and there cant of been more than a few hundred max - if a name like WD cant pull the numbers (lydd had 7k ) ........
lydd was my fave venue - great nights

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:
Restless wrote: It's ok to call it another rave but raves nowadays can be run-of-the-mill. If Terry Turbo came back and put on a One Nation it'd BLOW the modern day ON's out of the water. It's the original rave pioneers doing what they do best! You forget how many promoters have tried to replicate these kind of events with no luck AND how the original boys have that knack for putting on legendary events.
what do you think exactly they'd be able to do that modern promoters wouldn't?

even if it was the same people, and they had the same drive and ideas and the rest of it - they're still just operating within the scene as it is now. i think you may be overestimating how much of the magic of those raves was actually to do with the brand or the promoter, rather than just it being a well-run party at a time when everything else was great about raving.

it makes more sense i think for smaller nights, with a local following, with the same resident DJs, more low-key, intimate etc.

but a big rave - take that big Dreamscape event; even if it was being run by all the original people involved it'd still have most of the same problems with lineup, venue, tickets etc. but also the atmosphere is a product of the crowd, the music, the drugs; those have all changed a lot in 20 years! it being called "helter skelter" rather than some modern rave brand won't change that, surely?
Because those guys were pioneers who broke new ground.

Look at the state of One Nation events nowadays compared to back in the day. They just don't compare!

You clearly wasn't around back then, so for you to say that more or less the name meant nothing is just absurd.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:05 pm

BrianBadonde wrote:
dj_gyr8 wrote:Note: "DJ GYR8" never existed before 1994, that name was only ever used for Jungle...
I have never ever heard that DJ Name around

Ever
Because you never mixed in the same highly regarded circles that he did clearly:
You didn't attend the rave he played at sitting astride St Paul's Cathedral, flexing on 3 diamond encrusted 1210's???
Or that time he invented Acid House in Ibiza???
Lightweight!

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:11 pm

AtomSmasher wrote:
BrianBadonde wrote:
dj_gyr8 wrote:Note: "DJ GYR8" never existed before 1994, that name was only ever used for Jungle...
I have never ever heard that DJ Name around

Ever
Because you never mixed in the same highly regarded circles that he did clearly:
You didn't attend the rave he played at sitting astride St Paul's Cathedral, flexing on 3 diamond encrusted 1210's???
Lightweight!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:42 am

Interestingly I came across Ellis Dees Youtube account yesterday while I was browsing Yellow Magic Orchestra. None of his own tunes on there. He had some Tek9 and others.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:49 am

Restless wrote: Because those guys were pioneers who broke new ground.

Look at the state of One Nation events nowadays compared to back in the day. They just don't compare!
There was me thinking the pioneers who broke new ground were the people who made the music. Yeah, I wasn't raving at the time - but I have been to raves. Which is why I say most of the things that make them great aren't entirely down to the promoter.

That's why I'm asking: what is it that those guys did which is so different to what promoters do now? What new ground were they breaking as promoters?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:03 am

Well look at someone like Murray - The man sourced out the sanctuary and shepton mallet. Amazing venues.
Name me some promoters that even bother to be different these days?

These guys gave a shit about their punters/brands, and weren't there to run a thousand raves a year. New ideas/new concepts/new DJ's - They actually tried to progress things and put the brand before/scene before their bank balance.

Yeah, I mean the only pioneers back then were the people who made music on Atari's in their 'studio' (see bedroom). How it trickled down from there was nothing out of the ordinary I suppose... *Sarcasm*.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:55 am

I think the point that TC is trying to make is that whilst One Nation under Turbo put on some decent parties BITD, there's no guarantee that in today's climate he'd be putting on parties that would be comparable.

You may have all the experience, source venues etc etc, but if the crowd aren't there, or the time isn't right, your parties might not be all that. That's one of the reasons why a lot of established promoters now stick to "safe" events. Safe DJs, safe venue, small numbers etc etc

World Dance might well come back, but if they tired to put on the same event now as they did in 95 the results would, in all probability be different. The name would help, with brand recognition, but that isn't going to guarantee anything in this day and age.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:00 am

Valid points. Although EVERY reunion that I've been to whether it's a local night from days gone by or a bigger, more national night, has been just as good.

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Im not even sure Chris/Jay still own the World Dance name/rights anymore. I know they sold the AWOL brand to Darren Jay .....

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Yeah I agree to be honest - you can only give brands like Fantazia, Helter Skelter etc so much credit. They were amazing raves, but they were in the right place at the right time. A hardcore rave of that scale simply isn't possible any more, just ask Dreamscape.

I don't think anybody has ever made millions from promoting raves. Fantazia apparently made most of their money from property and CD compilations, and Slammin Vinyl and Helter Skelter don't put on raves any more. If they were a 'license to print money' they would still be doing it. I think even the big raves now are only paying the promoters enough to do it as a job, not set them up for life.

As with any scene there are happy DJs/MCs that made it big, and those that didn't. People like Darren Styles and Hixxy have made as much money as any top tier D&B DJ. I won't name names but I know quite a few of the south coast DJs and most of them have always had modest normal jobs. DJ work has never been a full-time career for them even in the 90s, unless you're Andy C there just isn't enough money in it. Doing a few sets a week for a couple of hundred quid each sounds amazing when you're a teenager, but when you get a bit older you realise there's more money in a 'normal' job.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Slammin' Vinyl do still put on events

One Nation, Hardcore Heaven, United Dance, WestFest, United Music Festival, Tranz-Mission, Sanctuary. That as well as licensing the names of other brands to put on events (Fantazia).

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:37 pm

ian saunders wrote:Slammin' Vinyl do still put on events

One Nation, Hardcore Heaven, United Dance, WestFest, United Music Festival, Tranz-Mission, Sanctuary. That as well as licensing the names of other brands to put on events (Fantazia).
They don't actually put on 'Slammin Vinyl' events any more though, I believe the last one they promoted was cancelled due to poor ticket sales. That was my point - 90s multi arena hardcore/D&B raves aren't financially viable any more. Making 10 grand from a rave every 3 months won't give you a life on an island :)

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:33 pm

yes ian - that's my point, basically.
ian saunders wrote: You may have all the experience, source venues etc etc, but if the crowd aren't there, or the time isn't right, your parties might not be all that. That's one of the reasons why a lot of established promoters now stick to "safe" events. Safe DJs, safe venue, small numbers etc etc
That's also why I think the revivals can work with smaller local "brands". Cos it's smaller scale, so it's more feasible to get some of the old residents out and hire someplace small. so you can go for the nostalgic crowd.

Trying to recreate a big rave is far less practical without having to make a lot of concessions to modern tastes.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:51 am

Restless wrote:Note: "DJ GYR8" never existed before 1994, that name was only ever used for Jungle...

Lightweight![/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Hi,

Nice one :-)

Technics did Gold turntables, so it is a pity they didn't do a 'Diamond' model... Only £400,000 a pair!